7.1.1 for the Nexus 6P on Verizon

segler

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Verizon..Seems the theory about being invisible on the Dec 7.0.0 V ota build is holding water. V is not on Google's ota list, so Google does not know that you have a build to update.

I was on the Dec 7.0.0 V build and never got an OTA to any build of 7.1.1. I got frustrated and sideloaded the Jan 7.1.1 J build.

Then sure nuff the Verizon Feb 7.1.1 K got pushed to my phone yesterday. That's 'cause Google compared my J build to the list and saw that they csn push me a new ota.

So watch out. If you are on the Verizon V build, which Google pushed out but did not list, you might be stuck there forever unless you do the deed and sideload a Verizon 7.1.1 build.

Google can fix this by including the V build on their ota webpage.

Come on, Googs, git er done.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Verizon..Seems the theory about being invisible on the Dec 7.0.0 V ota build is holding water. V is not on Google's ota list, so Google does not know that you have a build to update.

I was on the Dec 7.0.0 V build and never got an OTA to any build of 7.1.1. I got frustrated and sideloaded the Jan 7.1.1 J build.

Then sure nuff the Verizon Feb 7.1.1 K got pushed to my phone yesterday. That's 'cause Google compared my J build to the list and saw that they csn push me a new ota.

So watch out. If you are on the Verizon V build, which Google pushed out but did not list, you might be stuck there forever unless you do the deed and sideload a Verizon 7.1.1 build.

Google can fix this by including the V build on their ota webpage.

Come on, Googs, git er done.

Except there were a few posts earlier from people who had the V build and now received the 7.1.1 update and the Feb security patch without sideloading anything.

crosspatch

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Still on 7.0 NBD91V with the December, 2016 updates. I can't see how this could be Verizon's doing, since I bought this 6P from Google and while it has a Verizon SIM card, it has nothing Verizon-related on it.

Anyone know (without merely assuming) if the monthly security updates are cumulative? Meaning, if they load February's updates and January's never get loaded, my 6P will still be fully updated?

I'll give it another week or so, then I may bit the bullet and sideload. Reading the lists of critical vulnerabilities I'm exposed to makes me both concerned and angry.

cridleyjr

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Since getting the 7.1.1 update, WiFi connectivity has been slow. Email attachments don't load, social media photo and videos don't load. When I turn off WiFi all platforms work fine. When I turn WiFi back on, all platforms stop working.

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Got the Feb Update within an hour after finishing the update to 7.1.1 - OTA on VZW.

So far I haven't noticed any issues since either update.

I don't recall what build I was on prior - I didn't check before I told it to restart & install. :/

cridleyjr

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Got the Feb Update within an hour after finishing the update to 7.1.1 - OTA on VZW.

I don't recall what build I was on prior - I didn't check before I told it to restart & install. :/

Are you noticing issues with the WiFi? Web browsing, email, images are all loaded very slowly.

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

I'm also on VZW and got the 7.1.1 update OTA 2 days ago, followed by the February update yesterday. Now rnning NUF26K. Everything seemed pretty much the same, with one exception: the Daydream clock stopped working. Daydream would start as usual, but the clock would stick on the time when the app first opened. This has since resolved, after a couple of power cycles.

However, through the process of trying to figure out what was wrong, I have discovered that I can no longer find the controls for Daydream. I'm sure (and confirmed via Google) that it used to be under the Display setting, but it's no longer there, and I can't find Daydream under any of the other items in the Settings menu.

Anyone have any guidance about that?

Otherwise, 7.1.1 seems to be working fine.

Last edited:

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Nothing here yet, but have an aside question. I've noticed this the past few times I've powered on my 6p.

First the Google logo comes up, then the four animated dots, but after several seconds, my pin pattern comes up. It's about 25% larger than it usually is and in the center of the screen instead of at the bottom like normal. If I don't input my pin pattern it doesn't progress with the boot up. Then after I input the pattern it says Checking... for a bit before returning to the animation and then going directly to the home screen.

Normally it goes Google logo, animation, then pin pattern right before the home screen is displayed. This happened I believe after I did a FDR. I talked with Google about it but they had no reports of any similar happening to anyone else, so I figured I'd check here. Maybe something's screwed up with my phone and that's why it's not getting it.

So if anyone's seen something similar or read a thread about something like that, let me know. I tried using the search but didn't find anything like this that way.

crosspatch

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Yep, no updates for me either. I guess Google doesn't like us. I'm starting not to care.

I've had the same thing happen with the boot thing, except I use a pattern, not a PIN. It used to be I would always get prompted for the pattern during boot, as you describe, and then the remaining boot process would complete afterward. Then it started booting right to the lock screen, where I'd have to enter the pattern, of course.

A few times, I went into the security settings and disabled/re-enabled the pattern, and that used to restore the old behavior of requiring a pattern during boot (i.e. during, not afterward). But it would always revert to booting right to the lock screen after a certain number of boots. I have no idea why that is. But nope, it's not just you.

Another thing I've noticed is that it used to take about 3 seconds of holding the power button to begin the boot process, and now it seems to take 300. There was at least one time I held it for at least 15 seconds and it did nothing as well.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yep, no updates for me either. I guess Google doesn't like us. I'm starting not to care.

I've had the same thing happen with the boot thing, except I use a pattern, not a PIN. It used to be I would always get prompted for the pattern during boot, as you describe, and then the remaining boot process would complete afterward. Then it started booting right to the lock screen, where I'd have to enter the pattern, of course.

A few times, I went into the security settings and disabled/re-enabled the pattern, and that used to restore the old behavior of requiring a pattern during boot (i.e. during, not afterward). But it would always revert to booting right to the lock screen after a certain number of boots. I have no idea why that is. But nope, it's not just you.

Another thing I've noticed is that it used to take about 3 seconds of holding the power button to begin the boot process, and now it seems to take 300. There was at least one time I held it for at least 15 seconds and it did nothing as well.

I also use a pattern, I just worded it a bit wonky. What you're describing as your normal boot up process is more like my abnormal one. I didn't see the prompt to input the pattern until after the animation started but before the lockscreen appeared. Now it happens in the middle of the animation instead of after the animation finishes, and the pattern screen is different than before. I'm tempted to do another FDR and see if it goes back to the way it used to since I don't have hardly anything on it since my previous FDR, but I want to wait and see if the OTA hits it before March. If it doesn't, I'll do another FDR and see if that helps. If it still doesn't work, it'll be another call to Google support.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
If I understand correctly, the upgrade to 7.0 included Direct Boot, which moved the pin entry from mid-boot to after boot. This locks the data on the phone, but enables some services including alarms, notifications etc before pin entry. HOWEVER, if you upgraded to 7.0 via beta then Direct Boot was not enabled. As I understand it, if you still have the option of 'pin before boot' in your security settings then Direct Boot is not enabled on your phone. You can turn on Direct Boot via the Developer settings, but doing so will wipe most of your data.

How to Enable Android Nougat’s Direct Boot for Less Annoying Encryption

...adding, I'm sure one of the usual suspects will chime in to tell us yet again 'Why wait? Just upgrade via beta and it'll be all good...'

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
If I understand correctly, the upgrade to 7.0 included Direct Boot, which moved the pin entry from mid-boot to after boot. This locks the data on the phone, but enables some services including alarms, notifications etc before pin entry. HOWEVER, if you upgraded to 7.0 via beta then Direct Boot was not enabled. As I understand it, if you still have the option of 'pin before boot' in your security settings then Direct Boot is not enabled on your phone. You can turn on Direct Boot via the Developer settings, but doing so will wipe most of your data.

How to Enable Android Nougat’s Direct Boot for Less Annoying Encryption

...adding, I'm sure one of the usual suspects will chime in to tell us yet again 'Why wait? Just upgrade via beta and it'll be all good...'

But see I've never had the pattern show up mid boot until I did a FDR. Before that the pattern always showed up after the the animation finished. Then I had to input my pattern to get to the lock screen. Only after I did the FDR did it start to show up in the middle of the animation. I know this because I remember thinking that it was different than before.

crosspatch

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I just went into the security settings and re-established my pattern, and selected the option to require it when starting Android. And just now, the boot animation stopped and required the pattern, then the animation continued. I'm sure it will revert to the other behavior after a couple more boots. So it seems this functionality is just buggy. I strongly doubt an FDR or a call to Google will help a single thing. That article on howtogeek.com does not seem to be entirely accurate.

And oh, no update yet. Shocking.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I just went into the security settings and re-established my pattern, and selected the option to require it when starting Android. And just now, the boot animation stopped and required the pattern, then the animation continued. I'm sure it will revert to the other behavior after a couple more boots. So it seems this functionality is just buggy. I strongly doubt an FDR or a call to Google will help a single thing. That article on howtogeek.com does not seem to be entirely accurate.

And oh, no update yet. Shocking.

I don't know if it will change with a couple of boots. Since it started after I did the FDR, I've done over 10 power cycles, and it's still that way. Now after the FDR I had to reimburse my pattern and my fingerprints, but I didn't mess with the setting requiring the pin/pattern on reboot. I used the backup to restore my settings from before the FDR, so it's the same as it was before. However the order is different and it started after the FDR. When it happened the first time, I thought it was booting into safe mode or something. Maybe tomorrow I'll disable pin/pattern on boot up and then re enable it and see if that solves it, but otherwise I have no idea how it happened.

Mindworm

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
V build finally updated today. Also have Feb security patch.

(Someone alert the media.)

THAT SAID, I entered the beta with said V build a while back hoping to get on that train -- no luck. I unenrolled this AM while at the gym and voila, it was there. Battery thus far is a bit quick to burn, but the snappiness I remember when I first purchased the phone is definitely back. And visual VM is now working on the dialer which is a bonus, and bluetooth connects to car superquick. All of this makes me quite happy.

Overall, a nice improvement on prior V build and, over time, I'd wager the battery will optimize and get a bit better. Fingers crossed.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
V build finally updated today. Also have Feb security patch.

(Someone alert the media.)

THAT SAID, I entered the beta with said V build a while back hoping to get on that train -- no luck. I unenrolled this AM while at the gym and voila, it was there. Battery thus far is a bit quick to burn, but the snappiness I remember when I first purchased the phone is definitely back. And visual VM is now working on the dialer which is a bonus, and bluetooth connects to car superquick. All of this makes me quite happy.

Overall, a nice improvement on prior V build and, over time, I'd wager the battery will optimize and get a bit better. Fingers crossed.

Still nothing for me, so I enrolled in the beta program. Did a check right after I enrolled but nothing. I put it on the charger since it was down to 40%, and I'll check tomorrow. If it still doesn't update by tomorrow night, Google's gonna get an earful Thursday morning.

segler

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Google still has not put the 7.0.0 V build on the OTA website.

I just plain do not get that.

There has to be a reason, but they're not saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781