7.1.1 for the Nexus 6P on Verizon

Dranik

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
I didn't get any updates for my 6P since December's security patch on Verizon. Called Google support to make sure its not a faulty phone and they told me to wait till the end of the month. Last time they replaced my phone because it wasn't getting security updates for 2 months.

Really not happy with Google. In December switched from Project Fi (by the way absolutely the worst service I had ever in New York City) to Verizon.

Savvra

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm also on Dec security patch. Definitely frustrating. Didn't want to upgrade to the Pixel after only 1 year on the 6P but it's looking more and more likely.

wwwjr

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Exited the Beta today because still no January security update. After restart, everything is peachy. Moved to build N4F26J and got January 5th security update.

Bobcat54s

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
I got tired of waiting and side loaded the J update 7.1.1. Went smooth as glass. I know it's early, but battery is better this morning. Never used adb, so that was new. If you are still waiting, just side load OTA.

Bobcat54s

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
I was the same way. Started to have odd issues with my phone on 7.0. Battery ly. Started to have odd issues with my phone on 7.0. Battery life was sucking bad, even though I was doing all I could to make it better. Found A step by step how to on side loading update. Seems to be working better today. No issues so far.

Mindworm

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
Joined beta online. Cleared cache. Multiple power cycles. Multiple manual system update checks. No go - still on December update.

Any ideas, folks? Is side loading my next step? And, if so, should I do full factory reset first?

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Joined beta online. Cleared cache. Multiple power cycles. Multiple manual system update checks. No go - still on December update.

Any ideas, folks? Is side loading my next step? And, if so, should I do full factory reset first?

Sideloading the OTA is very easy and only takes a few minutes. You do not need to do full FDR and if done correctly, you will not lose your data. There is a little bit of prep work that needs done on your computer first, but there is a great guide on another site.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Talked with Google support a few times over the weekend, the last couple today. Support seems like it's all over the place.

The first person I talked with essentially said I needed to do a Fee and the update would show. I did and it didn't.

So I called today, and the guy told me, because I didn't have a sim installed (it's now my backup phone) that it wouldn't get the update. I told him the updates were supposedly coming straight from Google, and that's always been their selling point for the Nexus devices. He informed me that the update gets sent to the OEM to modify and then gets sent to the carrier's to send out. I told him that sounds exactly like what happens with carrier branded non Nexus devices, and he agreed. So I asked him what was the benefit of the Nexus if not fast updates (I know, you can root them as well). He didn't have an answer so I hung up.

I called back a second time today hoping for someone a bit more knowledgeable, and that didn't happen either. All the 2nd guy did was say he understood the problems and unfortunately he couldn't help but he was more than happy to pass my feedback along.

So 3 calls, over an hour time lost, the phone is still sitting on 7.0 and December security patch, and had to do a FDR. And yes I know it can be sideloaded, but I've never done it and don't plan to. The selling point was guaranteed and fast updates, I don't recall them ever saying they needed to be sideloaded to accomplish that. If this is how things are going to be, I might as well go with someone else the next time around. At least if I go with a carrier branded device, they'll actually do something to remedy the situation, mainly because they still get money from me each month. Apparently Google doesn't have that incentive.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
You shouldn't have to but sideloading the update is fairly straight forward.

Just to reiterate this: there is no rooting involved, no unlocking boot loader, nothing. You just connect to your computer, fire up ADB, make sure the PC recognizes the phone, and then reboot into recovery and sideload the update. From downloading the update to sideloading it to installing it takes maybe 15 minutes, maybe less.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
The selling point was guaranteed and fast updates, I don't recall them ever saying they needed to be sideloaded to accomplish that. If this is how things are going to be, I might as well go with someone else the next time around. At least if I go with a carrier branded device, they'll actually do something to remedy the situation, mainly because they still get money from me each month. Apparently Google doesn't have that incentive.

I'm not trying to be hostile here, I'm really not, but you're complaining because of a single missed security patch, which is being held due to issues with VZW's network and the 6P's compatibility.

You say you don't want to sideload...may I ask why? It's not an intimidating, cross-your-fingers-and-pray kind of procedure. It's a pretty simple thing to do. But, if you're really insistent that you not even try to help yourself, I don't see how you can possibly be at the point where you're considering another alternative - simply because of a single missed update. There are no other phones out there that have the kind of update reliability that Nexus and Pixel devices do. Some devices are lucky to patched twice a year.

The Google reps you talked to are clearly not knowledgeable people, though. The OEMs have absolutely nothing to do with the updates. It's Google who does the testing for the carriers they certify the phone for. Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, etc have no hand in developing the OTA updates and they don't control when the updates roll out.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
So 3 calls, over an hour time lost, the phone is still sitting on 7.0 and December security patch,...

God forbid Google could just give a straight answer about what's going on.

"There were problems with 7.1 on VZW. We think they've been remedied with the "J" update available for sideload now. If no problems arise with sideload users we intend to release an OTA for all VZW users by (date)."

Is that so ****ing hard Google? Three hours on the phone with three different reps and nobody could utter those three simple sentences.

Mindworm

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm not trying to be hostile here, I'm really not, but you're complaining because of a single missed security patch, which is being held due to issues with VZW's network and the 6P's compatibility.

You say you don't want to sideload...may I ask why? It's not an intimidating, cross-your-fingers-and-pray kind of procedure. It's a pretty simple thing to do. But, if you're really insistent that you not even try to help yourself, I don't see how you can possibly be at the point where you're considering another alternative - simply because of a single missed update. There are no other phones out there that have the kind of update reliability that Nexus and Pixel devices do. Some devices are lucky to patched twice a year.

The Google reps you talked to are clearly not knowledgeable people, though. The OEMs have absolutely nothing to do with the updates. It's Google who does the testing for the carriers they certify the phone for. Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, etc have no hand in developing the OTA updates and they don't control when the updates roll out.

It's about 7.1.1 as well. Not "just a security update".

Mindworm

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
God forbid Google could just give a straight answer about what's going on.

"There were problems with 7.1 on VZW. We think they've been remedied with the "J" update available for sideload now. If no problems arise with sideload users we intend to release an OTA for all VZW users by (date)."

Is that so ****ing hard Google? Three hours on the phone with three different reps and nobody could utter those three simple sentences.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I'm mostly complaining about the reps not knowing their stuff. But as others have said it's also about the OS update, not just the security patch. And the reason that I said I was looking at that was because this doesn't seem like the experience is any better than when I had Samsung, HTC, or Moto devices. Sure, they don't get updates as frequently as Google's devices do, but as people on the other side point out, many of the things stock is just now getting has been in other OEM launchers for awhile now. When I first got my 6p, I could tell a difference between the customer service at Google vs other companies. I don't know what happened but after a year customer service at Google seems about the same as it does at Verizon. The customer calling in shouldn't be more knowledgeable than the employees. And if that's to be a continuing trend, why not go somewhere else, especially if other companies offer the same or more in their devices for less money? And here's a fun fact, the images they put out are for non Verizon 6p phones, so why is Verizon, who is coincidentally Google's official partner on the Pixel, the only one having this issue? If it was a CDMA thing, then why isn't Sprint affected? I mean you have to admit, when was the last time you heard or a Nexus device being almost 2 months behind on updates through no fault of the owner?

As for just sideloading it, if Google can't figure out why their devices don't catch on like Apple's do, there's a reason right there. Not everyone is comfortable doing that. I'm sure it's probably no big deal for some, just like I'm sure there are things I know how to do that you don't. But when someone tells me they're not comfortable doing that, I don't push them on it.

cridleyjr

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm mostly complaining about the reps not knowing their stuff. But as others have said it's also about the OS update, not just the security patch. And the reason that I said I was looking at that was because this doesn't seem like the experience is any better than when I had Samsung, HTC, or Moto devices. Sure, they don't get updates as frequently as Google's devices do, but as people on the other side point out, many of the things stock is just now getting has been in other OEM launchers for awhile now. When I first got my 6p, I could tell a difference between the customer service at Google vs other companies. I don't know what happened but after a year customer service at Google seems about the same as it does at Verizon. The customer calling in shouldn't be more knowledgeable than the employees. And if that's to be a continuing trend, why not go somewhere else, especially if other companies offer the same or more in their devices for less money? And here's a fun fact, the images they put out are for non Verizon 6p phones, so why is Verizon, who is coincidentally Google's official partner on the Pixel, the only one having this issue? If it was a CDMA thing, then why isn't Sprint affected? I mean you have to admit, when was the last time you heard or a Nexus device being almost 2 months behind on updates through no fault of the owner?

As for just sideloading it, if Google can't figure out why their devices don't catch on like Apple's do, there's a reason right there. Not everyone is comfortable doing that. I'm sure it's probably no big deal for some, just like I'm sure there are things I know how to do that you don't. But when someone tells me they're not comfortable doing that, I don't push them on it.

Personally, I believe that 6P on Verizon users are not getting the upgrades because of the Google/Verizon Pixel relationship. Trying to push Verizon users to buy the new phone that assumingly was made for the Verizon network.

opuntia2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
...As for just sideloading it, if Google can't figure out why their devices don't catch on like Apple's do, there's a reason right there....

In order for Google to avoid confusion, and also perceived collusion with Verizon, then updates for all 6P and/or Nexus phones regardless of carriers should be pushed out at the same time. If there's a delay with VZW because of some technical issue, then that delay would hold up ALL of the other carrier updates. Basically, what I'm saying is that they should just adopt the Apple model. Google is known to have such a better cloud/network infrastructure system than Apple, yet somehow Apple is able to announce an iOS update and somehow, magically, every single iphone can download/install that update on that very same day (Wow, what a concept!!!), not some rolling three-week update process that invites the creation of several "who got their update" forum posts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech