New Google Messenger update

flipbeats

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I just updated messenger and it says "enhanced features that let you send messages over Wi-Fi or our data network, see when friends are typing, and more ( some carriers only) I wonder if that includes Verizon ( though I won't be on Verizon for long hehehe Google FI! ). Anybody else get this update?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I just updated messenger and it says "enhanced features that let you send messages over Wi-Fi or our data network, see when friends are typing, and more ( some carriers only) I wonder if that includes Verizon ( though I won't be on Verizon for long hehehe Google FI! ). Anybody else get this update?

Sounds like RCS.

Google partners with carriers to help expand RCS messaging standard | Android Central
Google's iMessage competitor isn't Allo, it's texting | Android Central

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I saw this article.. lame.. but it's weird since Google is pushing .. why wouldn't they push their own product on their own network.

Because they don't have their own network? They lease usage on Sprint, TMo, and US Cellular's networks. And whatever makes RCS work only works on Sprint right now. They can't push a feature on Fi if it disappears if the phone switches to TMo or US Cellular if it has the best signal where the customer is at.

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Yep, my messenger version calls out these new features, in the upgrade text, but says "certain carriers only" in the upgrade text.

Once installed, I don't see the options anywhere, not under Advanced, no-how.

I'm with AT&T though, who's pretty heavily against Advanced Messaging on non-branded phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678