Random shutdown

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone experienced random shutdowns? I'm on 7.1.1 and latest security update. When I go for a run I use mapmyfitness to track my runs. Everything works fine, until I go to save my workout. Almost as soon as I turn the phone on and unlock it, I get a low battery screen, then the phone shuts down. It doesn't matter if the phone has 50% battery, or 60% it just shuts down when I go to save the workout. I really hope Google are addressing this issue.

Attachments

• 36543.jpg
    36543.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 160

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
If the spontaneous reboots occur only when accessing MapMyRun, I would suggest uninstalling it and then reinstalling.

I used to use MapMyRun but dropped it in favor of Endomondo for several reasons, the most important of which is the way these apps use the data from heart rate monitors. Last time I looked, Endomondo is the only app that calculates your calorie burn based on your actual heartrate; the others will happily graph your heartrate, but then use standard formulae for calorie burn which presume that your heart will beat at a "standard" rate for whatever exercise you are performing - running, walking, circuit training, etc.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
If the spontaneous reboots occur only when accessing MapMyRun, I would suggest uninstalling it and then reinstalling.

I used to use MapMyRun but dropped it in favor of Endomondo for several reasons, the most important of which is the way these apps use the data from heart rate monitors. Last time I looked, Endomondo is the only app that calculates your calorie burn based on your actual heartrate; the others will happily graph your heartrate, but then use standard formulae for calorie burn which presume that your heart will beat at a "standard" rate for whatever exercise you are performing - running, walking, circuit training, etc.

It's not even rebooting. It just shuts down, and you can't turn the phone on until you plug it into a charger. It has done it now the last 3 runs I've used it. It has also done this one other time when I was screwing around on Google maps.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It should certainly not be doing that (shutting down), so there's definitely a problem. Whether it's the battery itself or something strange going on in the OS is difficult to ascertain without further information.

Did this happen before you updated to 7.1.1?
Would you be willing to reload the 7.0 firmware (along with a Factory Reset) and setup as new?
How old is your device?

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
It should certainly not be doing that (shutting down), so there's definitely a problem. Whether it's the battery itself or something strange going on in the OS is difficult to ascertain without further information.

Did this happen before you updated to 7.1.1?
Would you be willing to reload the 7.0 firmware (along with a Factory Reset) and setup as new?
How old is your device?

It only happened on 7.1.1. I'm going for another run tomorrow, and if it does it again I'm probably going to factory reset. I did get a weird message from the myfitnesspal app, saying that sometimes the battery saver screws with the GPS, and recording workouts. So I turned that off, and hopefully tomorrow my phone doesn't shut down after my run.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I was experiencing shutdowns randomly after my battery got to 30% or below just about 10 months into owning the 6p. Finally contacted Google for an RMA. So far so good with the refurbished phone I received.

Looks like this issue is starting to get more attention:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/1...toff-problem-and-its-becoming-a-safety-issue/

Yea your right. Hopefully Google addresses this issue with some sort of fix other than 'buy a pixel' if that's their response, I'll be considering a Samsung phone or iPhone in the future. There's no excuse for a phone to just fail like that after just being over a year old.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yea your right. Hopefully Google addresses this issue with some sort of fix other than 'buy a pixel' if that's their response, I'll be considering a Samsung phone or iPhone in the future. There's no excuse for a phone to just fail like that after just being over a year old.

Interesting article, for sure.

maverick7526 - are you running in a cold climate?

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Interesting article, for sure.

maverick7526 - are you running in a cold climate?

Yes. The last two days I ran the temp was 19° and 25°. My phone has randomly shut down 3 times though, the other time I was in my car, and it was cold out 20's or so, but the heat was on and it was warm in my car. My phone operates fine in the cold, until I go to unlock it after a run, then it just shuts down.

NotFromHere

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes. The last two days I ran the temp was 19° and 25°. My phone has randomly shut down 3 times though, the other time I was in my car, and it was cold out 20's or so, but the heat was on and it was warm in my car. My phone operates fine in the cold, until I go to unlock it after a run, then it just shuts down.

I should have mentioned that my battery issue had nothing to do with the temperature of the phone. The battery just seemed to have worn out early. Once it got below about 30% it was just completely unpredictable.

Now that I have a replacement phone I've been trying to follow battery best practices like keeping it between 20% and 80% most of the time, and I no longer leave it plugged in overnight.

Iacovos Florides

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone experienced random shutdowns? I'm on 7.1.1 and latest security update. When I go for a run I use mapmyfitness to track my runs. Everything works fine, until I go to save my workout. Almost as soon as I turn the phone on and unlock it, I get a low battery screen, then the phone shuts down. It doesn't matter if the phone has 50% battery, or 60% it just shuts down when I go to save the workout. I really hope Google are addressing this issue.

I have the same issue but with the stock camera app. Every time I took a photo the phone would reboot.

Some times it would shut down and could not power on unless plug it into power. These incidents are, for me, irrelevant to battery level.

Am using another camera app now but I still get 2, 3 times per day a random reboot.

Stock Android, 7.1.1, never rooted, battery replaced few days ago with new.
Average SOT is 2 hrs.
Brightness always below 50%

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Well went for a run today, and no crash! The temps were in the low 40's to high 30's. I turned off battery saver and so far it hasn't crashed! So far so good!

Attachments

• 37104.jpg
    37104.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 129

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity, did you previously turn Battery Saver ON before runs?

I always left it on. When it would turn on I would charge the phone. Either that, or I would charge somewhere in the 20's percentage wise.

**Edit**
I never left it on all the time. It would just auto turn on at 15%.

jayhay312

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I've been having this problem since Nougat. Lucky for me the phone never shuts off until I hit battery saver which I have set up to come on automatically at 15%. So today I decided to shut off battery saver and the phone stayed on well past 15%. It ran down to 5% and then I plugged it back in. So I've now set up battery saver to kick in at 5%. We'll see if this changes when the random shut off happens.

mrballew

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I also have been having this problem since Nougat. My phone will never last past 15℅. It usually dies at 25℅ and at it's worst, it once died at 45℅. It's super inconsistent.

I'm feeling like I need to get a replacement device but am also wondering if this is somehow software related.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
My 6p randomly shut itself off while connected to the USB-C car charger the other day in the cold...I was driving, but I admit it was very cold out that day. We're talking like 11 degrees F. It had 40-50% battery and was plugged in, but was using GPS & Google Music. However, it's always in this scenario (just warmer), and had never shut off before.

When I turned it back on, it said 13% battery suddenly, which made no sense.
It has definitely worried me a bit, but so far it hasn't done it again yet.

This was only after the 7.1.1 update.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm not at all sure it's related, but since 7.1.1 my Nexus 6P has been having significantly worse battery life. I don't let it get low enough where it might shut off, but I'm going to let mine run down and see what happens. I have a feeling something got really screwed up with how the things manage their batteries.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance