Determining Wi-Fi Network Quality / Battery Drain?

goadamn

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
For about the last month (prior to receiving 7.1.1 but I don't know if it's been happening the entire time I've been on 7) I have randomly looked at my phone and have seen it doing a wi-fi quality search. It is "determining wi-fi quality"...

Screenshot_20161220-170324.png

...this would be fine if my wi-fi was enabled. This seems to happen while I have wi-fi disabled. Not simply "disconnected" but fully turned off.
My phone shouldn't be checking wi-fi quality because it should know that there is no wi-fi.

I am kind of wondering if this is part of why my phone is draining in battery life more quickly than before.

Anyone have any ideas on how to make this stop?
I've double checked and the "Notify when a public network is available" and "Use open wi-fi automatically" are both disabled and turned off.

Thanks in advance for the info

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings>Location, tap Menu>Scanning, an make sure wi-fi scanning is turned off. This usually gets turned on (along with the GPS radio) any time you agree to Improve Accuracy, when prompted by the phone.

goadamn

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Wow. This is soooooo noticeable how much stronger my battery is now.
There was no need for my phone to check wi-fi when the wi-fi is turned off. What a waste of resources

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Go to Settings>Location, tap Menu>Scanning, an make sure wi-fi scanning is turned off. This usually gets turned on (along with the GPS radio) any time you agree to Improve Accuracy, when prompted by the phone.

Thanks for reminding me on this. It turned itself on again at some point and hadn't noticed. I turned it off again and the battery improved.

goadamn

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
So my battery is still doing okay, but the phone is Determining Wifi Quality again.
I checked the settings and scanning is still disabled.
Any other thoughts?
:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol