Simultaneous Voice & Data on Verizon

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Looking for input from anyone using a Nexus 6P on Verizon. I just moved my service from Google Fi back to Verizon and now, whenever I'm on a call, the phone drops the data connection (a little x symbol shows up on the cellular icon and data just doesn't work). This feature worked fine on Fi, so it's not the hardware or OS. As soon as I hang up the data signal comes back.

I contacted Verizon technical support and all they could tell me was that I had a non-Verizon branded device and that feature wasn't supported.

Anyone actually get this working?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Check on your account online and ensure "Advanced Calling" is enabled. This is needed to have VoLTE to then have voice/data on a call.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Are you referring to the feature known as 'HD Voice'?

I went ahead and enabled that and will check it out - thanks!

NotFromHere

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Looking for input from anyone using a Nexus 6P on Verizon. I just moved my service from Google Fi back to Verizon and now, whenever I'm on a call, the phone drops the data connection (a little x symbol shows up on the cellular icon and data just doesn't work). This feature worked fine on Fi, so it's not the hardware or OS. As soon as I hang up the data signal comes back.

I contacted Verizon technical support and all they could tell me was that I had a non-Verizon branded device and that feature wasn't supported.

Anyone actually get this working?

Mind sharing why you decided to go from Google Fi back to Verizon? I've been a Verizon customer for years now, and I've been considering going over to Fi, so I'd love to hear about your experience.

And I can confirm that turning on Enhanced 4G LTE Mode is what you want to do to get voice & data to work simultaneously. It's in the Cellular Network Settings. You might also need to enable Advanced Calling in your Verizon account, which you can do on the Verizon website.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Simultaneous Voice & Data on Verizon

Mind sharing why you decided to go from Google Fi back to Verizon? I've been a Verizon customer for years now, and I've been considering going over to Fi, so I'd love to hear about your experience.

And I can confirm that turning on Enhanced 4G LTE Mode is what you want to do to get voice & data to work simultaneously. It's in the Cellular Network Settings. You might also need to enable Advanced Calling in your Verizon account, which you can do on the Verizon website.
I switched from Google Fi back to Verizon for two reasons, both related to driving for Uber:
1. I was starting to go through lots of data, and after a couple of GB Fi becomes prohibitively expensive compared to a shared data plan (my daughter still has a phone on Verizon and there's a high data overhead on that plan so I might as well use it).
2. I've been having issues with dropped ride requests (when I go to accept a ride) in one particular area of the city due to 'network issues' (I'll often see the 3G/HSPA/LTE indicator go away briefly at that time), which is costing me time and money. It's possible that the problem is partly Uber's responsibility but there's no way I can really determine that.

Note that the 'Enhanced 4G LTE mode' option was not shown in the cellular settings on the phone until I first enabled 'HD Voice' in my Verizon account for that device.
59bb5929852a8a195cf8e68a422cd193.jpg

Edit: note that prior to starting to drive for Uber I had Google Fi service for about a year and was completely happy with the voice and data service/coverage. There were certainly times/areas where I didn't have a great data connection but I never had a dropped call or was unable to make a call.

Last edited:

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Voice and Data work fine on 4G too, in fact it's the reason I get kicked back to 4G, when I'm on LTE before a call (I have AT&T and a non-branded device, my 6P, no VoLTE for non-branded at all).
This has been true for some years now (simultaneous v/d), on 3G and then 4G, and LTE too, obviously, if you have a combination that supports VoLTE.

It's a frequent bone of contention on many forums, getting "kicked back to 4G" because they got a call, and being unable to use LTE data to reference things; I admit, it's one of my biggest annoyances about my carrier...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol