Life after 6P...whats next?

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Wow a lot of good input from everyone, i did expect most to say they will stick with the 6P as i do agree the device checks most of the boxes in terms of things important to me. Like most, i appreciate the stock android experience and if i do stay with Android ill stick with a Pixel or something very close to stock (i.e. Moto).

As for Samsung, i agree they have come a long way and its easy for me to recommend their premium devices (S7,Edge) to someone. With that said, my first Android phone was an S3 which i loved a but after 8 months it drove me up the wall so i sold it for a Windows Phone (at the time i just liked them more). I had a Nexus 5 for a while and loved it but submerged in water and it was destroyed. I came back when the S6 was released and LOVED it for 12 months, but TW still has areas that Nova cant cover up and those bothered me. I also used some LG's (G3, G4, Vigor) and realized that stock android was the way to go after also testing out a Moto X Play. I can see why people love Samsung, many family members i have use them and swear by them...i get it.

iPhone, yes its crazy expensive...especially for us here in Canada. Is it boring because it lacks customization options? Totally. But the more and more i use my work iPhone 6S, it always works where as my 6P acts up sometimes...nothing major but enough to make me Huff at it. Will this make me run from android? No, but i use my phone for very few functions and maybe this is where my reasoning is different than others. My primary uses for phone are Texting (sms/Whatsapp), Navigation, browsing web, Youtube, E-mail and reading articles/news. Thats it. So when i compare side by side Android vs Apple, they actually offer the same experiences to me. And of all the things i use the phone for, other than Navigation (Google Mapls vs Apple Maps) i find iOS just does things better...Android isnt bad by any means, its not hard for me to recommend Android to anyone (other than iPhone fanatics like my wife). And like many people here, and the general public i guess, i use my phone every single day...i depend a lot on my phone...so spending an extra $100 or $200 more on something that i think works better isnt that big of a deal in the long run.

The good news is i have until October to decide and will utilize the chance i have using my work phone (iOS) and personal (6P) to figure out which works better for me.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the price difference will be. If it is $100-200 then that isn't much relatively. I get the feeling it will be closer to $200-400 for Sammy 8 or Pixel 2 comparable and $500-800 for brands like Axon, Huawei, One Plus One, etc.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I think I'll stick with the Nexus 6P for as long as Google supports it. Best phone I've had. Pixel 2XL will be nice, but probably very expensive.

After seeing the premium price tag on the Pixel and Pixel XL, I've gotta pass on the Pixel line. I'm on Google Fi at the moment so I don't exactly have a ton of options I guess, but I never liked paying the "Apple tax" and I don't particularly care for the "Google tax" either. I'll stick with my 6P until it's dead (or off its support lifetime) or I'll find an alternative that suits me better.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the price difference will be. If it is $100-200 then that isn't much relatively. I get the feeling it will be closer to $200-400 for Sammy 8 or Pixel 2 comparable and $500-800 for brands like Axon, Huawei, One Plus One, etc.

Let me note when im talking about cost im referring to using carrier subsidiaries and not outright buying the device. If thats the case, usually the iPhones are $100 more than Samsung and Pixel...while $300 or $400 less premium devices.

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
.... In that respect, I guess this is the first time that I've been a year in and there isn't a phone on the market that gives me a compelling reason to dump what I have now and drop the cash to upgrade.
Exactly. Same here.

Hey guys,
... I had an S6, using a Samsung device for 12 months was more than enough to make me not want another for a few more years but everytime i play around with the S7 Edge at some stores i think it looks fantastic...but then i realize its a Samsung and sort of move along.

I know the Feeling. I owned a SGS 3 for a few months and it was enough to cure me from wanting another Samsung device since then.

I owned a lot of devices already, from Palm, Compaqs, Winmobile Phones, iPhones and Android devices. My favorite was the Pre3 with WebOS. So sad, they busted that.

I am happy with my 6P and I guess I will wait until there is no OS updrade anymore, before I Switch it. If I had to buy a phone now I honestly wouldn't know what to take.
I love vanilla Android - I hated what Samsung did with it. Therefore I would have to go for something Pixel-ish ... the Pixels are too expensive though.
Huawei Mate sounds nice, but then again ... the add ons make me falter.
iPhone? Nah...

'tis difficult, I give you that.

Daniel Tolman

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I've been looking at a lot of phones recently. But it has been difficult to choose a phone and justify a purchase. Apart from the headphone amp on the nexus 6p not being good, the rest of the phone is great and it's specs are not that far off from last years flagships. At least for my phone use. I really wanted to take a chance on the Huawei Honor 8 but I can't seem to do it. Maybe I'll wait for options presented by Nokia.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I've been looking at a lot of phones recently. But it has been difficult to choose a phone and justify a purchase. Apart from the headphone amp on the nexus 6p not being good, the rest of the phone is great and it's specs are not that far off from last years flagships. At least for my phone use. I really wanted to take a chance on the Huawei Honor 8 but I can't seem to do it. Maybe I'll wait for options presented by Nokia.

Yes, Nokia is also on my list...i was a big fan of Lumia 920/1020, curious to see their flagship Android.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Let me note when im talking about cost im referring to using carrier subsidiaries and not outright buying the device. If thats the case, usually the iPhones are $100 more than Samsung and Pixel...while $300 or $400 less premium devices.

I just read an article about the Samsung S8 price being much higher than last year which doesn't bode well for even contract pricing for this years iPhone. The OLED panel Apple is paying Samsung for is like 3 times more than the LCD one they've used in the past. These bigger versions from Samsung and Apple are going to be pushing $600-800 even on contract for a decently specced one. I mean the 7+ 128GB is between $480-680 right now depending on your 2 year terms. Me personally, it's getting harder and harder to justify these prices. I know a lot of it is currency exchange related but still.

angelbones1

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I've been keeping up on the new phones now for the past couple months and there's nothing out there that would make me give up my 6p. As long as it's working, I'll be using it. My first Google phone so I don't really want to go back to Samsung or LG. What worries me is that after battery degradation, I'll want to move on to another Google phone, BUT from what I'm hearing the next gen Pixels are gong to be around $1000. No thanks. Although the LG G6 is a little intriguing, I'll wait to see specs to make a judgment. The Galaxy S8 will almost certainly be $1000. If I had to pick today, I'm actually liking the One Plus 3t, and the ZTE Axon 7. They seem to offer great bang for the buck. I don't know if the 6p will last until December 2018, but let's see what's out there by then. (Does that give you an idea how much I still love this phone).

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I just read an article about the Samsung S8 price being much higher than last year which doesn't bode well for even contract pricing for this years iPhone. The OLED panel Apple is paying Samsung for is like 3 times more than the LCD one they've used in the past. These bigger versions from Samsung and Apple are going to be pushing $600-800 even on contract for a decently specced one. I mean the 7+ 128GB is between $480-680 right now depending on your 2 year terms. Me personally, it's getting harder and harder to justify these prices. I know a lot of it is currency exchange related but still.

I would never purchase the 128GB model but i agree with your points, they're justified. I am a $0-$100 on contract phone purchase kinda guy, thats why i got the 6P later on when its was $50. Considering i rarely buy a flagship phone, i dont mind spending the extra cash coming up since i dont do it often enough. I have the funds to buy a phone outright but just decide not to, is that a bad decision? Some will say yes and thats OK, i get it. What blows my mind is there are people who have multiple new flagship phones, im sure they find deals or are just really good at working the numbers... I really wish i could have a Pixel XL and 7+, im jealous.

With that said, i agree the cost of mobile phones is absurd BUT its a device i use at least every hour of every day....and i can guarantee i use it less than majority of the people on this forum. Because its something i depend on and use more than any device i own, ive realized i dont mind spending $500 or so every 2 years for something that will get so much use out of it. I spend more on my pool in 1 summer, going out to dinner with wife and friends 5 separate times or 2 months of car payments.

Ami trying to find a justification or excuse to spend the money? Totally lol...need to use the right tactics to convince the wife its a GOOD investment ;)

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

I would never purchase the 128GB model but i agree with your points, they're justified. I am a $0-$100 on contract phone purchase kinda guy, thats why i got the 6P later on when its was $50. Considering i rarely buy a flagship phone, i dont mind spending the extra cash coming up since i dont do it often enough. I have the funds to buy a phone outright but just decide not to, is that a bad decision? Some will say yes and thats OK, i get it. What blows my mind is there are people who have multiple new flagship phones, im sure they find deals or are just really good at working the numbers... I really wish i could have a Pixel XL and 7+, im jealous.

With that said, i agree the cost of mobile phones is absurd BUT its a device i use at least every hour of every day....and i can guarantee i use it less than majority of the people on this forum. Because its something i depend on and use more than any device i own, ive realized i dont mind spending $500 or so every 2 years for something that will get so much use out of it. I spend more on my pool in 1 summer, going out to dinner with wife and friends 5 separate times or 2 months of car payments.

Ami trying to find a justification or excuse to spend the money? Totally lol...need to use the right tactics to convince the wife its a GOOD investment ;)

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking I'll take a look at the pixel 2 when that gets released later in the year. I really do like the Nexus 6p, I love the front-firing speakers. I can't imagine a phone without front-facing speakers now LOL

brutos08

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
This year's high-end devices with be significantly more expensive I can see the lowest spec S8 going for minimum £750 (am in the UK) which probably would be about $730 in the state's

Last edited:

Dhalgren

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I love my 6P on Project Fi. But battery life is beginning to deteriorate sooner than I thought it would. I even thought about getting a Nexus 5X. But I am hanging on for the replacement for the 5X. Google promises a $300 entry level phone this spring by LG. That's my next phone.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I love my 6P on Project Fi. But battery life is beginning to deteriorate sooner than I thought it would. I even thought about getting a Nexus 5X. But I am hanging on for the replacement for the 5X. Google promises a $300 entry level phone this spring by LG. That's my next phone.

My screen cracked last year and I got it replaced at a local shop. I asked him what it would cost for a new battery with installation. It is around $80. I might be tempted to just do that when the time comes and that is the only issue with the phone. Much cheaper than what high end phones will cost this year even on contract.

SilentByte

Feb 24, 2017
Visit site
I'm going to wait and see what the S8 has to offer. I'm a big fan of the all screen look. Though I will likely be scared off by the astronomical price tag. I also have no issue holding onto the 6P for another year. It's a great phone.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
So I tested my work iPhone carplay, wow apples maps is a disappointment compared to google maps...Deal breaker since you can't change on apples phones

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

Didnt see a thread similar created so thought id start one as im curious to know what phone Nexus 6P daily driver users will move onto next. If this does exist i apologize, let me know the thread and ill kill this one off.

So, is it the Pixel 2? OP4? Maybe the S8?

I myself have a long list of devices i've used, but im primarily a year behind (got a 6P last year)...however my next upgrade I want to move to the flagship thats released at the time. I have tested the Pixel at some stores and think its a really nice phone, but it doesnt make me want to run out and buy one. I had an S6, using a Samsung device for 12 months was more than enough to make me not want another for a few more years but everytime i play around with the S7 Edge at some stores i think it looks fantastic...but then i realize its a Samsung and sort of move along.

For work I am using an 6S and i gotta say that surprisingly iPhones are growing more on me. My very first smartphone was an iPhone 3G (which i loved), after a few Windows Phones i moved back to iPhone with the 5S but the screen was too small and iOS sort of bored me (at the time). But i think iOS10 has grown up a lot, i appreciate a lot of the changes done to better it(make it closer to Android)...so im also looking at the 7S Plus (my main gripe with 6S is its too small, 6P has spoiled me).

concerns with moving to iPhone:
  1. I like Google Now, not sure if iPhone will fill that gap well
  2. I use Android Auto, i do have Carplay but worried Apple Maps wont be as good as Google Maps
  3. Flexibiliy to chose how to use apps (i.e. want to share an article from app, i believe Apple options are limited while Android allows everything)

As far as Androids, ive got my eye on the Pixel 2 primarily...OP4, S8, HTC11 dont really interest me. Actually the other device ill keep my eye out for are the new Moto devices but it seems that since theyre removing the Mods (rumors?), Lenovo is in an limbo confused state with the brand.

So what you guys thinking? I know a lot of people end of year will be into 2 years owning this device, will you move on or stick it out for longer? The 6P is a fantastic phone, i cant really complain a lot about it and sure itll hold up well into 2018.

I'm really going to miss the front facing speakers. I still have the 6p and plan on keeping it for a while. But I can see myself upgrading to either the pixel, or a Oneplus 4. I'm not sure I could pay full price for a phone anymore LOL

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Deal breaker since you can't change on apples phones
Can't you load Google Maps on the iPhone?
Or are you saying that if you try to use Apple Carplay (or whatever it's called) it'll only use the Apple maps application?