Google takes no responsibility if OS updates cause Nexus 6P devices to randomly power off

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
My fault, I was trying to help you understand the gap in your expectations compared to the actual process. If that's not needed, carry on!

No worries, I appreciate your replies and the time you took to type them out. As you now see, I am fully aware of the process, which I followed. As for my expectations, I feel they are reasonable. I paid $650 for Google's flagship phone, the Nexus 6P (128 GB). I asked them if downloading their latest OS update resulted in my phone going from working perfectly, to having the battery drain excessively fast and randomly shutting off, would they offer me any kind of repair or replacement, or be accountable in any way? They replied no, they would not do anything for me.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
If you really want Google to take notice of the issue, find it here and add your input (or just "Star" it to add that you're also seeing it) or report it yourself if you can't locate the issue. If you create a new post for the issue I suggest you stick to the issue (shutdown at 15% battery left), leave out the complaints about not replacing the device due to the software issue as that's not entirely relevant to fixing the code.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/advsearch

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
If you really want Google to take notice of the issue, find it here and add your input (or just "Star" it to add that you're also seeing it) or report it yourself if you can't locate the issue. If you create a new post for the issue I suggest you stick to the issue (shutdown at 15% battery left), leave out the complaints about not replacing the device due to the software issue as that's not entirely relevant to fixing the code.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/advsearch

Thank you for the link. Thousands of people have already posted complaints about the issue. Google has been well aware of it for at least 4 months, but they have not made any official announcement that they are taking steps to come up with a fix. As if that's not disappointing enough, they told me they won't be held accountable and will do nothing for me if I download 7.1.1 and it causes my battery to drain excessively fast, and phone to randomly shut off while the battery still shows that it has 15% charge left.

NotFromHere

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the link. Thousands of people have already posted complaints about the issue. Google has been well aware of it for at least 4 months, but they have not made any official announcement that they are taking steps to come up with a fix. As if that's not disappointing enough, they told me they won't be held accountable and will do nothing for me if I download 7.1.1 and it causes my battery to drain excessively fast, and phone to randomly shut off while the battery still shows that it has 15% charge left.

I posted this earlier, but I'll just reiterate that I also experienced this early shutdown problem. I'm now on 7.1.1 on the refurb replacement 6p that I received from Google, and I'm definitely NOT experiencing early shutdown on this version of Android.

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I posted this earlier, but I'll just reiterate that I also experienced this early shutdown problem. I'm now on 7.1.1 on the refurb replacement 6p that I received from Google, and I'm definitely NOT experiencing early shutdown on this version of Android.

Good to know, but I've also read many instances where refurbs have come back already on 7.0 and 7.1.1 and continue experiencing the same problems. I made this exact post on another Android form and have been exchanging posts with a member who has had 6 RMA refurbs, each having problems and needing to be sent back. Since I'm almost out of warranty with Huawei, and since Google won't take responsibility if my phone experiences more problems after downloading 7.1.1, refusing to repair my device or send me a refurb, I can't justify taking a chance on ruining a brand new device that cost me $650 when I purchased it.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
My suggestion still stands - take the update. If it doesn't work right, you always have the the option with Nexus devices to flash back to the last stable version. The info, tools and files are all out there to do it, direct from Google.

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
My suggestion still stands - take the update. If it doesn't work right, you always have the the option with Nexus devices to flash back to the last stable version. The info, tools and files are all out there to do it, direct from Google.

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, it's not a solution based on my experience, and every other experience I've read from people who have tried it. Here is an exchange I had with a member from another forum who has tried your suggestion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammol
No problem. That is weird that they gave you that answer and quite frankly disturbing.

Unfortunately all of my RMA devices have been because of the random shut off issue. Starting at RMA 4, I have been downgrading them to 6.0.3 (latest MM?) to try and avoid the shutdown issue just in case the device had never had that issue. The only reason I do that is because it never happened to me originally until I had upgraded to 7.1 and it first happened on my original device. Ever since then I've trying to test to see if it really does happen on MM even without upgrading to N, but no such luck.

My last one came with 7.1.1 on it. Turned it on, downgraded to MM and went through setup. Got done, put phone down, relaxed with wife. Picked up device to go to bed, dead phone. Requested another next day and that's what I'm using right now. Every single one has shut off no matter what OS version they are on.

This latest one I got yesterday is brand spanking new. Got manager override to get it sent out because the previous one I mentioned above shut off 4 times the day I requested this one. So far it's on MM and no issues as yet but it's only been a day. No root, no unlocked bootloader and battery is awesome. Got 5 hours sot today and it was off the charger since 3am. Just charged it up an hour or so ago and it probably won't go back on for the rest of the night.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yes, disturbing and very disappointing.

Looks like you're in the exact same situation as me. I experienced exactly what you did. For whatever reason, once the phone is upgraded to 7.0, even flashing back to 6.0 doesn't fix the issue. I've read countless posts on various threads stating this.

I'm willing to bet that your new device with 6.0 installed, having never been updated to 7.0, will work flawlessly. As I mentioned, you're in the same situation as me, having to make a decision on whether or not to upgrade your device to 7.1.1.

If you decide to install 7.1.1, please post if you experience continued random shutdown issues or excessively fast battery drain, or if all is good. Thank you.

----------

Here's the entire thread if you're interested:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6p/general/google-takes-responsibility-os-updates-t3559030

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
It's a Nexus "perk!" :-D

The fix is called "Pixel;" guaranteed to work...until Android 8.0 drops.

Lol that fix sucks! The new S8+ specs leaked, and damn if that 6.2" screen isn't tempting. As much as I despise Samsung, it is getting close to time to finding a replacement for the 6P.

Ricardo Martinez7

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Problem is not gone, im on beta 7.1.2 and im still having the issue, i bought my phone trough google store but that was like 2 years ago. I dont think i have any type of warranty.

My next phone will be an iphone.

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Never will fix it or hasn't been able to release a fix yet?

If I was a betting man I'd bet never. Time will tell whether you're right or I'm right. Trust me I wish you were right. Thousands of Nexus 6P owners have been experiencing these issues for going on 6 months now. Even if they fixed it at this point, the phone is already one generation old. In 6 months it will be two generations old and no longer eligible to receive OS updates.

You other choice was "hasn't been able to release a fix yet?". I think everyone would agree that they are able to release a fix, especially after 6 months. They just don't care to.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If I was a betting man I'd bet never. Time will tell whether you're right or I'm right. Trust me I wish you were right. Thousands of Nexus 6P owners have been experiencing these issues for going on 6 months now. Even if they fixed it at this point, the phone is already one generation old. In 6 months it will be two generations old and no longer eligible to receive OS updates.

You other choice was "hasn't been able to release a fix yet?". I think everyone would agree that they are able to release a fix, especially after 6 months. They just don't care to.

That would imply they know what's wrong and how to fix it, but choose not to. Do we know it hasn't been fixed in the last security update, or in the latest beta that came out last week or in the O preview?

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
No we don't know, because Google has refused to acknowledge the issue, nor communicate with their customers any action they are taking regarding this issue.

Is it possible that Google fixed it, and thousands of Nexus 6P owners having experienced the issue have all kept quiet? Not a single post praising Google for fixing it? Not a single statement by Google that they fixed the issue?

Sure it's possible. Many things are possible. Is it likely? I'd guess not. As I mentioned, time will tell.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
No we don't know, because Google has refused to acknowledge the issue, nor communicate with their customers any action they are taking regarding this issue.

Is it possible that Google fixed it, and thousands of Nexus 6P owners having experienced the issue have all kept quiet? Not a single post praising Google for fixing it? Not a single statement by Google that they fixed the issue?

Sure it's possible. Many things are possible. Is it likely? I'd guess not. As I mentioned, time will tell.

It's not fixed at all. I run a lot, and it's been cold up here in the Northeast. My phone has turned off multiple times due to the cold. Today wasn't even that bad (40°F) and I saved my workout, and bang! Low battery warning and phone shuts off. Get inside, put it on the charger, turn it on, 41% battery remaining...... This crap is getting out of hand, I def need a new phone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Update: A similar or the same issue has been fixed in 7.1.2 on the Pixel devices (wasn't aware they even had this); 6P does not have that fix yet. Seems to indicate that they are working on it, so hopefully we see that fix soon. In the mean time, customers who purchased from Google can call (855) 836-3987 to set up an RMA and customers who purchased from Huawei would still be working through Huawei. Google has confirmed that this is a Huawei issue and that they're waiting on Huawei to work with them on a fix.