Any 6P users got the Google Assistant update yet?

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I have it today too (6P, AT&T, off of Beta for now, so 7.1.1, March patch).

I didn't realize it either, no notifications, but when I held down the home button (per the above), there it was, sure enough.
It's not exactly obvious if you just swipe, as it looks fairly similar (to someone who doesn't use the GoogleNow page much) to the old interface. However, if you swipe and check settings, it's the "Google Assistant - Settings", no question.
I would bet a lot of people have it, and don't realize it, like myself.

Having done a fair amount of voice development work (both architecture/design and some coding and managing teams), you start to realize the scaling that must take place, to roll something like this out. One would assume Google would be rolling the same server resources from GoogleNow->GoogleAssistant, any other approach would be a bit boggling, in terms of the processing. Very close to 100% (there are usually a few exceptions, such as dialing, etc) of the processing takes place off-board (I'm sure most know this, sorry for the re-up, but I figured it was worth mentioning, to bring context).

Blurr26

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
wife and i just got it.
I saw your post and just "liked" your comment. Don't know what prompted me to do it, but I then decided to press the home button and voila, there it was. I now have Google Assistant. I think I'll have to start "liking" more comments in the future. Lol.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
748f29f807335a21b183b1bfaa82ed03.jpg

Yup, finally, Google Assistant!

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Me, too. :)
eric002... what launcher do you use? You look like you have the Pixel launcher.
I use Nova launcher prime beta. I had the launcher in pixel mode. I had the Google pill widget, and weather shortcuts before, but I just recently learned that the weather shortcuts on the desktop doesn't stay accurate unfortunately. 😥for example, the desktop weather shortcuts Read 40 degrees, and the real weather update from Google says it was 32 degrees outside. There seems to be a miscommunication between Nova launcher and Google.i will say this though, it's a really aesthetically pleasing weather shortcut though, so I'm trying it out again.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Used on tap this more and assistant came up, so I got it. I thought you could type to it? I only have an option to use voice commands.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2