05-25-2017 01:48 PM
57 123
tools
    My battery started going bonkers a couple of weeks ago, losing like half of the charge overnight. The Android O beta has fixed that, it seems.
    05-23-2017 04:32 PM
    Interesting.

I've been slowly "de-tuning" my 6P, since 7.12 seems to have really gone downhill in this area (really since 7.10, steadily, 7.11-7.12 is much worse for WiFi, IME).
    I've slowly been "de-featuring" my phone to match, disabling Bluetooth except when I really need it, then WiFi, now background data for almost everything, so that I have battery for everyday use. On 6.01-7.11 I had my background WiFi "always enabled", no problem, but now that drains a good deal of my battery nightly(7.12), so I have it on "only when charging", which is way less than optimal.
    Maybe my battery is going bad, although I've only had my 6P for about 8 months, charged mostly daily, which doesn't seem like nearly "life".

After my 7.1 Beta experience (I'm a long, long time WinPhone Beta guy, experimented with moving some simple apps over, etc) being so terrible, with regards to Bluetooth, I'm a bit "shy" about moving to "O", before it's gone some mileage on a breadth of people/devices/apps.
    This may turn me though, I'd really like to go back to just enabling the stuff I use, and not worry about turning everything back on, explicitly as-needed.

Anyone else having a similar experience(s)? How about the latter?
    Anonne, do you have any kind of hard data, over a number of days, showing the improvements? Do you have most of your radios enabled?

Thanks, for any info from anyone here...
    05-23-2017 08:22 PM
    Woo, Bro, I guess this battery is second-hand. I see some news about factories using the old battery and reproduce and then put in in the new phone. you'd better change a new one.
    05-23-2017 09:41 PM
    Not sure I follow, do you mean there was a case of a bad batch of batteries?

My phone was pretty flawless on MM, for maybe 6 weeks or so initially. Then it was "ok" on 7.0 and 7.1, and really took a BIG downturn on 7.11-7.12.
    It's still usable, if I'm cognizant about disabling/enabling various radios (is there a better app for an all-off/on out there?), I can typically get a decent day, it's just a pain.
    For example, my Subaru doesn't work very well if I enable the Bluetooth radio after it's been started, I seem to have maybe a 25% chance of connecting in that scenario, vs 95% or so, if it's active before I start the car. I've had some "interesting" stops at an intersection, where I thought the light would take a bit longer, while I "reboot" my cars' system, via the ignition switch.

I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron and other, and mechanics (I've rebuilt numerous engines and tons of bicycles from ground-up, etc), but I've watched the video for replacing the battery on the 6P, it's got some serious pitfalls, if you ask me, I think IFixIt rated it a 7 or 8 (of 10).
    That's assuming you can source a good battery too, I tried Google support, they weren't exactly helpful, they didn't have a great way to buy one, but said I could exchange for a refurb. device, which I'm hesitant about (particularly since I'm not all that convinced it's really my hardware).

I did run a battery-cell test, "Repair Battery Life", which gets high-marks in the store (both numbers and quantity of ratings), and it did a cell-cell eval, saying that everything was good (obviously I don't have a great way to verify), taking maybe 5 minutes of checks to do so.

It seems like my best path might just be the one I'm on, and wait for "O" to get a bit more stable, before I take the plunge...
    05-23-2017 11:53 PM
    I did run a battery-cell test, "Repair Battery Life", which gets high-marks in the store (both numbers and quantity of ratings), and it did a cell-cell eval, saying that everything was good (obviously I don't have a great way to verify), taking maybe 5 minutes of checks to do so.
    Repair Battery Life PRO https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...terycarerepair seems like a bunch of hogwash to me. There's no technical information provided about how the application works, what it does, etc. This isn't a storage device, where you can reformat it, mark bad blocks, etc. I highly doubt there's any value in it.
    05-24-2017 11:28 AM
    Yeah, GSDer, I tend to agree, I couldn't find any API that would provide a cell-by-cell battery status too.
    I'm VERY open to any other tools that are more promising, and verifiable.

Also, it's not like Google is offering up solutions, a "tool" of their own, or an acknowledgement that 7.12 has some issues on the 6P.
    They also don't seem to have a solution on how to get a replacement battery, so what's a user to do, it's sort of a dead-end, which is discouraging, on an 8 month-old, pricey, device.

I sort of debate on trying to go back to MM, but I'm not sure if I'd get security patches, even if I could revert, since they probably deprecated this branch for the 6P?

I did test it last night though, all radios except my cell off, 8 hours of non-use only drained 4%, so truly if I disable everything, consistently, I seem to get a much better battery outcome, even though it hampers actual device use...
    05-24-2017 01:39 PM
    Yeah, GSDer, I tend to agree, I couldn't find any API that would provide a cell-by-cell battery status too.
    I'm VERY open to any other tools that are more promising, and verifiable.

Also, it's not like Google is offering up solutions, a "tool" of their own, or an acknowledgement that 7.12 has some issues on the 6P.
    They also don't seem to have a solution on how to get a replacement battery, so what's a user to do, it's sort of a dead-end, which is discouraging, on an 8 month-old, pricey, device.

I sort of debate on trying to go back to MM, but I'm not sure if I'd get security patches, even if I could revert, since they probably deprecated this branch for the 6P?

I did test it last night though, all radios except my cell off, 8 hours of non-use only drained 4%, so truly if I disable everything, consistently, I seem to get a much better battery outcome, even though it hampers actual device use...
    I will report back after my test (currently have location -high accuracy, wifi & bluetooth on, cell signal at home is usually between -104 & -114 dBm) on Verizon. I was going to do this last night but I have had an issue not related to O, so did a FDR this morning (am old/retired with nothing better to do).

Here is an XDA thread about 6p & "O" - "Nexus 6P and Android O Developer Preview"
    05-25-2017 01:48 PM
57 123