Battery death

nomzamo999

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 6P for about 14 months now. Whilst the phone is great, we all know that battery life has been the biggest let-down. Ever since I got my phone I've had to charge it at least once a day, often twice. However, over the last couple of weeks the battery seems to have fallen off a cliff. I'm now having to charge my phone at every opportunity. This morning the battery has dropped from full to 32% in less than 4 hours, with just one game of Rummikub, a few emails read as this message. Has anybody else's 6P suffered a similar fate? I've still got 10 months on my contract and can't afford to replace the phone, so I guess I'm going to have to fork out and replace the battery. Bummer.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Lipo batteries have a finite life span. After certain number of charge cycles (based on your usage and charging practices) they begin to degrade... They don't hold as much charge and no longer perform in a consistent manner.

I recently replaced mine... About the same age and I had tested it to find I was down 10% - 15%.

terminator y2k

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Lipo batteries have a finite life span. After certain number of charge cycles (based on your usage and charging practices) they begin to degrade... They don't hold as much charge and no longer perform in a consistent manner.

I recently replaced mine... About the same age and I had tested it to find I was down 10% - 15%.

Question- how or where did you replace your battery? My phone is 1 year old and I still want to keep it for a bit longer, it's been a great device, so I may have to replace the battery. And from what I've read, I don't think Google or Huawei will replace the battery - even for a charge, I may be wrong however.

nomzamo999

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Question- how or where did you replace your battery? My phone is 1 year old and I still want to keep it for a bit longer, it's been a great device, so I may have to replace the battery. And from what I've read, I don't think Google or Huawei will replace the battery - even for a charge, I may be wrong however.
I just found this how-to video on YouTube https://youtu.be/zEQbQPAU9Ss
Battery replacement looks a HORRIBLE job. I think maybe I'll take mine to a repair shop...

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I just found this how-to video on YouTube https://youtu.be/zEQbQPAU9Ss
Battery replacement looks a HORRIBLE job. I think maybe I'll take mine to a repair shop...
I did that... And the shop did a bit of a number on the phone, putting a few gouges in the metal around the visor and frame. I don't plan to sell it and it's in a case, so out of sight, out of mind. If I could go back, is stress for them to make sure they knew how to get into it before I handed them the phone.

Battery is at full capacity now, so I got what I wanted; a bridge to the Pixel 2.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I hear you about battery. Everytime I get down near 15%or so my battery life becomes an adventure. Will it stay on, will it turn off, idk?! It's getting tiring really. No phone that's only 14 months old should be having battery problems like this. Hell if it gets too cold it doesn't matter what my battery is at, it'll turn off anyway. If the S8+ ticks all the boxes, as much as I despise Samsung, I think I'm jumping onboard. I don't feel like jumping through hoops to keep my 6P alive until Google releases maybe a decent phone in the pixel 2.

nomzamo999

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I hear you about battery. Everytime I get down near 15%or so my battery life becomes an adventure. Will it stay on, will it turn off, idk?! It's getting tiring really. No phone that's only 14 months old should be having battery problems like this. Hell if it gets too cold it doesn't matter what my battery is at, it'll turn off anyway. If the S8+ ticks all the boxes, as much as I despise Samsung, I think I'm jumping onboard. I don't feel like jumping through hoops to keep my 6P alive until Google releases maybe a decent phone in the pixel 2.
I've been having similar thoughts. I hate what Samsung does to Android, but could be tempted to the S8+. My wife & son both have the S7 Edge & love it. The Pixel 2 will be great, I'm sure, but Google have said the Pixel range is staying premium, which means it'll carry a premium price tag 😢.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
If the phone has been under constant use (charging daily, etc) over that 14 months, that's simply not true.

My phone shouldn't turn off at 60% because 'it's too cold outside'. I would expect battery wear over that period of time, however this phones battery has degraded far worse than any other phone I have owned in the same time frame. As much I love stock Android, this phone isn't worth it anymore, when you have to jump through hoops to make sure it can stay on all day.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
My phone shouldn't turn off at 60% because 'it's too cold outside'. I would expect battery wear over that period of time, however this phones battery has degraded far worse than any other phone I have owned in the same time frame. As much I love stock Android, this phone isn't worth it anymore, when you have to jump through hoops to make sure it can stay on all day.

Oh, I am not minimizing your particular issues... but the battery inside that thing isn't any different than most of the batteries used in every other phone at the moment. You might have a battery that is having a defect issue, but you could have had the same frustrations with any other phone purchased at the same time. You'll hear "I never had a battery issue like this before".... and that is 100% true, and by design. Battery manufacturers have been pushing boundaries recently in an attempt to squeeze every last mah out of the cells. That often means extending the charging limits to higher voltages, which sacrifice long-term usage for increased capacity. What was '100% charged' on a phone a few years ago is now '95%' or something to that effect today.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
My battery life is still running strong on my 6P, but ever since October it's been my work phone, which means I use it a little less.

psychoD33x

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
My battery life has been very bad too. I downloaded Accubattery to take a look at things. Seems my battery is only running at 62% now. I know batteries degrade but that's a bit on the ridiculous side considering that the phone isn't THAT old

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
My battery life has been very bad too. I downloaded Accubattery to take a look at things. Seems my battery is only running at 62% now. I know batteries degrade but that's a bit on the ridiculous side considering that the phone isn't THAT old

I started using that app to, and I'm at 77% of actual battery left. That's ok for having the phone for 16 months I guess. The only thing I can't stand is the phone turning off in cold weather. It usually only happens under 20-25°F.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Seems my battery is only running at 62% now. I know batteries degrade but that's a bit on the ridiculous side considering that the phone isn't THAT old

Well, give it a few charge cycles to get a good number... But that is pretty significant and much higher than it should be. Did you do anything to goose things along, like deep discharge or leaving it fully charged on the charger for extended periods?

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, give it a few charge cycles to get a good number... But that is pretty significant and much higher than it should be. Did you do anything to goose things along, like deep discharge or leaving it fully charged on the charger for extended periods?

This is a documented problem. Has nothing to do with geese of any sort. ;)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
This is a documented problem.
If by 'documented' you mean that, given the same amount of elapsed time, some people have ended up with lousy battery health and others have ended up with better battery health, I'll buy that. If you mean something else I'd be interested in seeing said documentation.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
If by 'documented' you mean that, given the same amount of elapsed time, some people have ended up with lousy battery health and others have ended up with better battery health, I'll buy that. If you mean something else I'd be interested in seeing said documentation.

Check the support forums and Google + community. It's like any other issue though: you might get a support agent who quickly acknowledges they're aware of the issue and sends you a replacement; or you might get the moron who thinks a reset is going to fix defective batteries.

Batteries shutting down between 15-30% juice remaining isn't normal in anybody's book. 10% battery loss in fifteen minutes isn't normal in anybody's book. Shutting down because it's cold outside isn't normal in anybody's book. Huawei used crap batteries; pure and simple. I have two 6Ps, and they're both the same. Inexcusable for 16 month batteries.

Me? I ordered the required parts and will dive into the repair. I got the ***** who told me to wipe my phone, wipe cache, and run Safe Mode when I brought this up two months ago. My phones are immaculate, and I will not accept refurbished replacements. If I break something...well, there's the insurance option. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith