Why has the spacebar disappeared from the SMS input on my phone?

A

AC Question

Nexus 6P. Since the last set of updates, the spacebar and Caps key have disappeared from my SMS input. Space bar is still on the numbers/symbols input, but gone from the letters input. How do I get them back, or reverse the latest update?

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like you may want to look into a new keyboard. I feel obligated to mention SwiftKey, a keyboard available on the Google Play store, as it's pretty well known and I've been using it for years.

There was a recent update to the Google keyboard, so that may have caused the issue you're experiencing. A restart of your phone may fix it, but if not, try setting the default input to something else (another keyboard) and switch back to the Google one if you'd rather not use a 3rd party keyboard. That may fix any odd behavior.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure it's not something to do with your screen settings, that's not​ showing the contrast of that area​? Seems to work fine on my device.
61ea272294c0a75cf8bb7a06ecf00537.jpg
b121fcb0c503a8803088c995e8bfda36.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering about that as well, but the various themes I see in Gboard shouldn't allow for the spacebar to be the same color as the background.

goadamn

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
My space-bar goes away when i go to emoji mode (which i do find to be annoying but tolerable) but is completely functional and normal in standard letter mode

john pullen

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site
Nexus 6P. Since the last set of updates, the spacebar and Caps key have disappeared from my SMS input. Space bar is still on the numbers/symbols input, but gone from the letters input. How do I get them back, or reverse the latest update?

I've noticed the same with my phone. However when I go to set my theme for the keyboard, if I add borders on my keys it adds a spacebar and caps/shift key. Even though the keyboard doesn't look as nice, it's functional.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith