pixel 2 xl

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Google better pull out all stops. I'm pretty tempted by the S8+ though. Saw one today in person, even with the bigger screen the form factor is comparable to the 6P. Adjusting would not be that bad. I just would have to get used to slow updates, which now I see I'm starting to care less about being at the front of the line. Google phones always feel unfinished, kind of like a permanent beta. Hopefully they can come up with something, because if they are going to charge S8/S8+/iPhone money, they need to back it up with a solid product.
New not to brag on Google phones completely but I do agree with you to an extent. Like I said before the one thing that I dislike immensely about the Nexus 6p and Google phones in general has always been ambient display.. very soon I'm going to go to my local Verizon store to check out the S8 slash S8 Plus I was watching a YouTube video and they compare the two batteries in they said that the USA 3000 milliamp hour battery a pair of very very closely with the S8 plus is 3500 milliamp hour battery. Still need to hold the S8 plus in my head because I need the phone to be more one handed and more pocketable. I like the fact of the always on display and yes I'll admit it some more of the Samsung Futures through TouchWiz. The fact of Samsung phones getting slower software updates frustrating to me so yeah it would be something for me to get more used to so-to-speak.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
New not to brag on Google phones completely but I do agree with you to an extent. Like I said before the one thing that I dislike immensely about the Nexus 6p and Google phones in general has always been ambient display.. very soon I'm going to go to my local Verizon store to check out the S8 slash S8 Plus I was watching a YouTube video and they compare the two batteries in they said that the USA 3000 milliamp hour battery a pair of very very closely with the S8 plus is 3500 milliamp hour battery. Still need to hold the S8 plus in my head because I need the phone to be more one handed and more pocketable. I like the fact of the always on display and yes I'll admit it some more of the Samsung Futures through TouchWiz. The fact of Samsung phones getting slower software updates frustrating to me so yeah it would be something for me to get more used to so-to-speak.

I held the S8+ today in hand. It's about the same size as the 6P, however it felt lighter, and easier to one hand it. It was a little taller though. One thing that could take awhile to get used to would be the placement of the finger print sensor. I don't like how Samsung put it to the right of the camera. I wish they had placed it in the middle of the back of the phone. It's just kind of awkward reaching for it one handed, where as the 6P was more natural.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I held the S8+ today in hand. It's about the same size as the 6P, however it felt lighter, and easier to one hand it. It was a little taller though. One thing that could take awhile to get used to would be the placement of the finger print sensor. I don't like how Samsung put it to the right of the camera. I wish they had placed it in the middle of the back of the phone. It's just kind of awkward reaching for it one handed, where as the 6P was more natural.
Yeah I heard that from Samsung. For me though, if I were to get the S8 which I might, I just get used to it or just use the iris scanner. I'm wondering how it fits in one hand myself. Can't wait to play with it in the stores.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I heard that from Samsung. For me though, if I were to get the S8 which I might, I just get used to it or just use the iris scanner. I'm wondering how it fits in one hand myself. Can't wait to play with it in the stores.

I always wear a fitness band so I leave trusted devices on. So that usually let's me just unlock my phone, unless I get too far away from it. Then I need fingerprint, or PIN to unlock. It's about the same as the 6P size wise. I can see easily one handing the S8+, the S8 should be easier because it's slightly smaller.

This is the first time I've been this tempted by something that wasn't a Google phone. It might be time to take a pixel/Nexus break and just go with Samsung for awhile.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I always wear a fitness band so I leave trusted devices on. So that usually let's me just unlock my phone, unless I get too far away from it. Then I need fingerprint, or PIN to unlock. It's about the same as the 6P size wise. I can see easily one handing the S8+, the S8 should be easier because it's slightly smaller.

This is the first time I've been this tempted by something that wasn't a Google phone. It might be time to take a pixel/Nexus break and just go with Samsung for awhile.
You know, that's exactly what I've been thinking. I feel so bad not getting a Nexus / pixel phone, but like I keep on repeating the ambient display the crappy vibrate on our phones just sucks too much. And I would like more overall operating system customization. I'm just worried about the no more unlimited Cloud Google photos backup stores that we might not get with a Galaxy S8 phones. I haven't used the microSD memory card in years! The size of the phone overall entices me.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
You know, that's exactly what I've been thinking. I feel so bad not getting a Nexus / pixel phone, but like I keep on repeating the ambient display the crappy vibrate on our phones just sucks too much. And I would like more overall operating system customization. I'm just worried about the no more unlimited Cloud Google photos backup stores that we might not get with a Galaxy S8 phones. I haven't used the microSD memory card in years! The size of the phone overall entices me.

I think as long as you have a Google account they give you 15GB of free cloud storage. It might just be time to take a break from Google. Today now my speaker's on my 6P decided to stop playing audio from apps like YouTube, etc. It could be because I was out running and it decided to rain for a lil bit, or it could be this phone is just breaking down. Idk, I wanted to get to the end of summer before I purchased another phone but, I may just have to get one now.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm just worried about the no more unlimited Cloud Google photos backup stores that we might not get with a Galaxy S8 phones.
Description taken directly from Google Photos: "Back up unlimited photos and videos for free in High Quality" - this has nothing to do with what phone you own: it'll work equally well on a Samsung or Nexus/Pixel device. The only difference is that on a Pixel device you can store ORIGINAL resolution pictures for free (and unless you're a professional photographer who really needs that?).

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Description taken directly from Google Photos: "Back up unlimited photos and videos for free in High Quality" - this has nothing to do with what phone you own: it'll work equally well on a Samsung or Nexus/Pixel device. The only difference is that on a Pixel device you can store ORIGINAL resolution pictures for free (and unless you're a professional photographer who really needs that?).
Well then, that's excellent news!

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I think as long as you have a Google account they give you 15GB of free cloud storage. It might just be time to take a break from Google. Today now my speaker's on my 6P decided to stop playing audio from apps like YouTube, etc. It could be because I was out running and it decided to rain for a lil bit, or it could be this phone is just breaking down. Idk, I wanted to get to the end of summer before I purchased another phone but, I may just have to get one now.
Yeah I mean my speakers are still working great. I really can't complain about too too much on this phone other than the size and like I said the ambient display feature. just something different and new.

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting for the Pixel 2 before I decide what to do. The battery on my 6P is getting worse and worse so I have to do an upgrade this year. I really really prefer a Nexus/Pixel because of the software updates, I've had the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 5 and now the 6P, but I might consider another flagship phone depending on what the Pixel 2s look like. The Pixels weren't good enough to consider an upgrade, the screen was smaller than the 6Ps and more importantly the speakers sucked. I like the forward firing stereo speakers on the 6P and if they don't fix the speakers on the Pixel 2s I'll move on. If I do move to something else I hope that someone has a flagship with a replaceable battery, I hate the in ability to change a battery. On the Nexus 5 it was possible to change the battery although it was impossible to get a good replacement battery. On the 6P I wouldn't even try to replace the battery.

Just get the battery replaced, either through Google or at a local cell phone repair place. I did the latter and battery life is like when I first got it. 6P is still a great phone after doing that.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
No dual front speakers = no dice. It's gonna take some transformative new feature to get me to drop big $$$ for a device that likely won't have the feature I most appreciate in the 6P. Until then I'll stick with the 6P at least for as long as it still gets updates.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I held the S8+ today in hand. It's about the same size as the 6P, however it felt lighter, and easier to one hand it. It was a little taller though.

The only thing there is that the S8+'s status bar is going through pretty much where the top speaker is on the 6P. I have big mitts, and I often use my phone one handed, and I can reach the status bar on the 6P, but no way I'd get to the S8+'s without fumbling with the phone.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The only thing there is that the S8+'s status bar is going through pretty much where the top speaker is on the 6P. I have big mitts, and I often use my phone one handed, and I can reach the status bar on the 6P, but no way I'd get to the S8+'s without fumbling with the phone.
That's one of the things about the s8 that I love. Realistic one handed usage! I doubt Google will give the new pixel 2 dual front stereo speakers. I think that feature is going away. Time for Bluetooth everything. That's another feature if the s8 I like; Bluetooth 5.0!

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

The screen is very tall. I'm still on the fence about it. I'll keep the 6P until late summer when the pixel 2 rumors start flying and decide then. Unless something catastrophic happens to my now almost 2 year old 6P, I'll hop on to an S8+

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The screen is very tall. I'm still on the fence about it. I'll keep the 6P until late summer when the pixel 2 rumors start flying and decide then. Unless something catastrophic happens to my now almost 2 year old 6P, I'll hop on to an S8+
I'll probably do wind up buying the s8, to try something different, and because I really do like a lot of it's features.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I'll probably do wind up buying the s8, to try something different, and because I really do like a lot of it's features.

I played around with both phones and they are great. I'm wary about leaving the Nexus/Pixel fold, just because I prefer stock Android, and love quick updates. However I find myself not caring so much about being on the bleeding edge anymore. If Google can redeem themselves with a at least halfway decent pixel 2 launch, and it has a decent size screen, I'll bite. By then the next note rumors will be flying as well, and that'll be tough to pass up. It might be time to try something else, Samsung has come a long way, from what I remember.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I played around with both phones and they are great. I'm wary about leaving the Nexus/Pixel fold, just because I prefer stock Android, and love quick updates. However I find myself not caring so much about being on the bleeding edge anymore. If Google can redeem themselves with a at least halfway decent pixel 2 launch, and it has a decent size screen, I'll bite. By then the next note rumors will be flying as well, and that'll be tough to pass up. It might be time to try something else, Samsung has come a long way, from what I remember.
That's how I'm feeling as well. I'm wary about leaving the Google phones as well, but same sentiment regarding fast software updates as well, as long as the s8 phones get then sooner than later. I am starting to like the customization again of Touchwiz , which apparently Samsung had dialed down quite a bit as well. That's the main key point here​. There are also way more cases available for the s8 phones thankfully!

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I doubt Google will give the new pixel 2 dual front stereo speakers. I think that feature is going away. Time for Bluetooth everything.

Sadly, this a probably true. IMO an $800 device ought to be optimal standing alone. I shouldn't have to dig out some BT accessory every time I watch video or want to hear a podcast clearly across a room.

There are also way more cases available for the s8 phones thankfully!

OTOH, I'm guessing S8 tempered glass options will be a nightmare.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Sadly, this a probably true. IMO an $800 device ought to be optimal standing alone. I shouldn't have to dig out some BT accessory every time I watch video or want to hear a podcast clearly across a room.

OTOH, I'm guessing S8 tempered glass options will be a nightmare.
Yeah I agree as well with you. An $800 phone should have everything inside of it, but the wireless market won't allow that to happen. People care much more about waterproofing, and durable build quality vs dual stereo speakers in the front of the phone. As far as other features I'd like to see in the phone the phones already have them. I want to see ip68 waterproofing which the S8 has and a nice display which the S8 has. I do like the fact that Bluetooth 5.0 will allow the phone to use a Bluetooth headset for phone audio and allow for a Bluetooth speaker for music audio though redirecting it to wherever you wanted to go too. That is a nice nice feature!

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm fine with my 6P and likely will continue to be fine with it for a while. Monthly updates are my biggest reason, but I'm also on Fi, so definitely not going the Samsung route. I'd also rather not pay $1000 for a cell phone, so depending on the Pixel 2 pricing, I may be waiting another year.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08