pixel 2 xl

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm fine with my 6P and likely will continue to be fine with it for a while. Monthly updates are my biggest reason, but I'm also on Fi, so definitely not going the Samsung route. I'd also rather not pay $1000 for a cell phone, so depending on the Pixel 2 pricing, I may be waiting another year.

The next pixel is supposed to be more​expensive than the first one. If that's the case, and there are still compromises (huge bezel, no waterproofing, small screen) this is a def pass.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The next pixel is supposed to be more​expensive than the first one. If that's the case, and there are still compromises (huge bezel, no waterproofing, small screen) this is a def pass.

I kinda doubt they're gonna let issues like that, ones the majority of both people who didn't upgrade and those that did list as their main problems with the current models. Considering Google is directing app devs to start making their apps work with the 18:9 aspect ratio seen on the G6 and the S8 (18.5:9 but still) it's very likely Google is planning on implementing that on their device as well. And if what they said about the design of the Pixel is true (it was rushed after Huawei backed out when it was apparent their collaboration with Google wasn't going to garner them any publicity for the hardware) then this next device should be more in line with what Google wanted the Pixel to be from the start. Many are saying the Pixels are essentially a rehash of the HTC A9 so that explanation makes sense.

While I fully expect Google's Pixel sequel to be better than the original, it's not to say that it couldn't still be a disappointment. People build things up in their head and when it doesn't come out exactly as they want, it's a failure. I moved on to the Pixel, the regular one because I wanted a smaller device before I got the 6p but for me the 5x had too many tradeoffs, but I still have my 6p. I find myself using it more like a tablet replacement and a backup if my primary device goes down. But if they dropped the regular Pixel and only offered phones 5.5" and larger, I'd probably have to look elsewhere. I'm not saying that no one should use a larger screen device, I see the benefits. But I find that I don't miss the size of the 6p in the least, it's more usable for one handed operation and with the smaller screen and lower resolution, it gets much better batter life than my 6p ever did with a much smaller battery.

Hopefully the news that Google is going to offer three Pixels this year means that maybe they'll cover everyone's needs. A 5" device for people like me, a 5.5" device for those who don't like the smaller device like the regular Pixel but also don't want to go to something along the lines of the Nexus 6, and a 6" or larger device for those who thought the Nexus 6 was only a good starting point. Keep the internal specs, CPU, GPU, RAM, storage, etc., the same across all devices and they could really have something.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I kinda doubt they're gonna let issues like that, ones the majority of both people who didn't upgrade and those that did list as their main problems with the current models. Considering Google is directing app devs to start making their apps work with the 18:9 aspect ratio seen on the G6 and the S8 (18.5:9 but still) it's very likely Google is planning on implementing that on their device as well. And if what they said about the design of the Pixel is true (it was rushed after Huawei backed out when it was apparent their collaboration with Google wasn't going to garner them any publicity for the hardware) then this next device should be more in line with what Google wanted the Pixel to be from the start. Many are saying the Pixels are essentially a rehash of the HTC A9 so that explanation makes sense.

While I fully expect Google's Pixel sequel to be better than the original, it's not to say that it couldn't still be a disappointment. People build things up in their head and when it doesn't come out exactly as they want, it's a failure. I moved on to the Pixel, the regular one because I wanted a smaller device before I got the 6p but for me the 5x had too many tradeoffs, but I still have my 6p. I find myself using it more like a tablet replacement and a backup if my primary device goes down. But if they dropped the regular Pixel and only offered phones 5.5" and larger, I'd probably have to look elsewhere. I'm not saying that no one should use a larger screen device, I see the benefits. But I find that I don't miss the size of the 6p in the least, it's more usable for one handed operation and with the smaller screen and lower resolution, it gets much better batter life than my 6p ever did with a much smaller battery.

Hopefully the news that Google is going to offer three Pixels this year means that maybe they'll cover everyone's needs. A 5" device for people like me, a 5.5" device for those who don't like the smaller device like the regular Pixel but also don't want to go to something along the lines of the Nexus 6, and a 6" or larger device for those who thought the Nexus 6 was only a good starting point. Keep the internal specs, CPU, GPU, RAM, storage, etc., the same across all devices and they could really have something.
You're definitely right about that.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully the news that Google is going to offer three Pixels this year means that maybe they'll cover everyone's needs.

Rumors be rumors.... its hard to say what those are, but there was a third name that popped up in the mix. What that might be is anybody's guess. Some thought it might be a mid/low end offering, but the data suggested that it'll be powered by the same 835 that the two others are expected to have.

That being said... a 5/5.5/6+ phone lineup is a little bit awkward, particularly if they stick with the same formula as the Pixel; same phone that differed only by screen specs and battery size. There would be a lot of overlap between the three. So that third option is a big wildcard...

Give me a FLAT SCREEN 5.7" display that's stuffed into the same form factor as the G6 and I'll be fine... I would prefer they slap stereo speakers on the front, but those seem to be out of fashion at the moment. But a pox upon curved screens!

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I hope they learned something. Google can be very stubborn at times. I can live with losing the stereo speakers, however if the screen is staying the same as last year this is a no go for me. The pixel, in my eyes, was a downgrade from the 6P on most fronts. So I'm hoping they actually bring something good to the table this year. If not I'm going to hop on a Samsung device, either the S8+ or note 8 depending on how rumors pan out over the summer. Right now it's a waiting game!

Graymonkey

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
I won't buy any phone that costs close to a grand. It can't be THAT nice. Unless it gives me next weeks lottery numbers and does sexual things for me, it's not worth that much.

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
bjrosen, same with me. I love my 6P for it's speakers and size. I don't want the new trend of making phones look like a telephone pole.

Excellent speaker, 5.7" and a huge battery. I do NOT care if it's thicker, just give me the ability to get through a day.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Pixel XL (preordered). I used it for two weeks and returned it for the signal drop issue and intermittent WiFi. When it worked, I was very satisfied. It would have been a nice upgrade. I am also bummed by the absence of front firing speakers but willing to accept the trade off for other benefits. My 6P, like many others, is struggling with battery life. I literally can't go out without a portable charger because I'm only getting 2-2.5 hrs SOT. Battery replacement aside, it's time for a new handset (my 5X is chugging along like a champ though). I'm not concerned about the price. I'm just hoping there's a 256GB option as I've tapped out the 128GB on my 6P.

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I have the Nexus 6p on Nougat 7.1.2 as a lot of other people here so as well. How many of us are waiting for the Pixel 2 to come out. There's a lot to be said for the clean bulletproof software, that's for sure. In comparison to Samsung phones which are barely getting updates, or the updates making the phones too sluggish to even use sometimes.

What are everyone's else's thoughts about that here? Thank you.

I'm waiting to see what the Pixel 2 is all about. But I do have to say I will miss front-facing speakers to whatever phone I go to, unless they have them of course.

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Rumors be rumors.... its hard to say what those are, but there was a third name that popped up in the mix. What that might be is anybody's guess. Some thought it might be a mid/low end offering, but the data suggested that it'll be powered by the same 835 that the two others are expected to have.

That being said... a 5/5.5/6+ phone lineup is a little bit awkward, particularly if they stick with the same formula as the Pixel; same phone that differed only by screen specs and battery size. There would be a lot of overlap between the three. So that third option is a big wildcard...

Give me a FLAT SCREEN 5.7" display that's stuffed into the same form factor as the G6 and I'll be fine... I would prefer they slap stereo speakers on the front, but those seem to be out of fashion at the moment. But a pox upon curved screens!
Ahrrr but you be right there Matey....curved screens do nowt for me but if I could get a decent Huawei/One plus etc with 2 front facing speakers and a decent spec then I`d certainly be interested... but paying up to $1k/£800 for a phone seems quite ludicrous to me...hell you could buy a decent laptop or build a very good PC for that kind of money!!

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I'm watching this thread, consistently.
I was thinking I'd be one of the Pixel 2 crowd, but not at >1k for an XL, I can buy a really nice laptop (that lasts more than 2 years) for that much. With the lack of availability too, throughout most of the Pixel cycle so far, the phones aren't exactly getting any cheaper, as per normal life cycle.

My current backup is a OnePlus(5), depending on how it fares, post-release I guess.
As much as I'd hate to move out of the regular update crowd (coming from Win Phone since inception), I can't be placing that much of a chunk of the budget into a phone, with that short a cycle.
If ASUS would make a decent UHD model, I'd probably consider them as well, I've been an ASUS MB build guy for a long time now, they're just so darn consistently solid.

I'm sort of with the dual speaker crowd too now, surprisingly, having had my last two Win Phones with the same, and my 6P since then. I've grown quite addicted to an awesome speakerphone at the least, and a good multimedia experience to-boot...

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Rumor has it the Pixel 2 XL will be built by LG instead of HTC. That's good news, the Nexus 5 was a great phone.

goadamn

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I absolutely love the stereo front facing speakers on the 6p. I really want this trend to keep going and it saddens me that it seems dead on arrival :(

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech