[GUIDE][MAC/PC/LINUX][4.2] Unlock, Root and Flash Recovery

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Index
Post 1. Unlocking the Bootloader
Post 2. Flash Recovery and Root​

[WARN]Unlocking the bootloader will wipe the ENTIRE contents of your tablet, INCLUDING the SD CARD - so you MUST backup anything you want to keep to a safe place.

And Don't mess up because I'm not responsible :)
(You understand that unlocking, rooting, or in any way messing with your device can screw things up, cause bricks, void warranties, kill tinkerbell ... etc. You assume these risks)[/WARN]

[INFO]What follows are directions for unlocking the bootloader and rooting your tablet using a windows, mac, or linux machine.

We're going to use PaulOBrien's SUPERBOOT method. Big shout out to Paul :)

Hit the links below.[/INFO]

Getting Started:

Download the R3 SUPERBOOT PACKAGE

MD5: 9b84c00e0b07a065b6cb9892389a9efa

[TIP]How to check an MD5 Sum:
On windows, there are numerous programs that will generate/check md5 sums for you.
On a mac, the easiest way to do it is open up Terminal (in your Apps folder), type in md5 , then drag the file onto the terminal window.
If you're using linux, you don't need me to explain any of this :)[/TIP]

PC USERS: You need to download the USB drivers found here. (universal naked driver).
[INFO]PC USERS - HOW TO INSTALL THE USB DRIVERS:
1. After downloading the drivers, decompress and place somewhere convenient that you will remember.
2. Connect the phone to computer with usb, make sure usb debugging is ON, and reboot the phone in bootloader mode (Volume Down and Power held together while the device is off).
3. Open up DEVICE MANAGER ---> Windows START -> CONTROL PANEL -> HARDWARE AND SOUND -> VIEW DEVICES
4. Select the Nexus - Click the HARDWARE tab -> PROPERTIES -> CHANGE SETTINGS
5. Select the DRIVER tab, then click UPDATE DRIVERS.
6. Choose Manually Update Drivers, then navigate to the "Universal_Naked_Driver_0.7" file and select it to update.[/info]

HOW TO UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER:

1. You've downloaded Superboot, now extract the .zip and place it somewhere convenient.
(PC Users, that means somewhere like c:
Mac users, desktop or your home directory.
It can go wherever you want, the thing is you're going to use command prompt or terminal to navigate to this folder in a minute, therefore you probably don't want to navigate through eleven different folders to get there. Just a suggestion tho.)

2. Make sure USB debugging is checked ON on the tablet - Go to settings, Developer Options.

3. Connect tablet to the computer with usb and turn the tablet off.

4. Boot up the tablet into BOOTLOADER MODE by pressing Volume Down and Power all together and hold until you get to the bootloader screen (android guy on his back with his stomach open).

5a - PC USERS: Open Command Prompt on your computer and 'cd' to the superboot folder:
For example:
Code:
cd C:/r3superboot
Next, enter this command to unlock:
Code:
fastboot-windows oem unlock
Then, after your bootloader is finished unlocking, enter this code to restart the device:
Code:
fastboot-windows reboot

5b - MAC USERS: Open Terminal on your computer and 'cd' to the r3superboot folder:
For example:
Code:
cd desktop
cd r3superboot
Next, enter this command to unlock:
Code:
./fastboot-mac oem unlock
Then after the bootloader is done unlocking, enter this to restart the device:
Code:
fastboot-mac reboot

5c - LINUX USERS: open terminal window, 'cd' to the superboot folder, and 'fastboot-linux oem unlock' :)

And in case you need it one day ...​
HOW TO RELOCK THE BOOTLOADER:​
PC:
Code:
fastboot-windows oem lock
MAC:
Code:
fastboot-mac oem lock
LINUX:
Code:
fastboot-linux oem lock

Last edited:

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Guide][NEXUS 7] UNLOCK & ROOT, FLASH RECOVERY, and MAKE BACK

FLASHING RECOVERY AND ROOTING YOUR NEXUS 7

Note:: You're going to need the same files as above, and you need an unlocked bootloader to root. So basically, if you just finished unlocking the bootloader, awesome. Leave everything the way it was. If you unlocked a while ago, whatever that's cool too.

[warn]You must have an unlocked bootloader to flash a custom recovery and get root access! You will not receive OTA updates if you (permanently) flash a custom recovery! See the above post to unlock. I take no responsibility for what happens to your phone. Do you. [/warn]

Getting Started:

Download the latest version of TWRP RECOVERY FOR GROUPER.
Place the recovery file in the superboot folder that contains the adb and fastboot files.

Download this version of SUPER SU.
Place the super su file on your tablet's SD CARD where you will be able to find it again.

STEPS:

1. Place the CUSTOM RECOVERY .IMG file you have downloaded into your SUPERBOOT Folder where 'fastboot' and 'adb' are at. (see above posts for superboot downloads if you have not already).

2. Make sure that USB Debugging is ON (on your tab, go to SETTINGS>DEVELOPER OPTIONS and check usb debugging), and connect the tablet to your computer via USB.

3. Boot the tablet into bootloader mode (Volume Down and Power held together while the tablet is off) and open a command prompt/terminal window.

4. ...
PC USERS: 'cd' to the Superboot folder and enter the following command:
Code:
fastboot-windows flash recovery [b]nameoftherecoveryfile.img[/b]

MAC USERS: 'cd' to the Superboot folder and enter the following command:
Code:
./fastboot-mac flash recovery [b]nameoftherecoveryfile.img[/b]

LINUX USERS: 'cd' to the Superboot folder and enter the following command:
Code:
./fastboot-linux flash recovery [b]nameoftherecoveryfile.img[/b]

5. After recovery is flashed, scroll down to "RECOVERY" on the tablet using the volume keys, and select "RECOVERY" with the power button.

6. Recovery will boot up on the tab, and you will now select "install," then navigate to where you placed the super su file on the sd card and select the file to install.

7. So that's it. but the recovery is only temporary until you use a file explorer to rename System/recovery-from-boot.p to something like System/recovery-from-boot.p.bak.

HOW TO GO BACK TO THE STOCK RECOVERY: (to recieve updates or what have you)

Download the STOCK RECOVERY that MATCHES THE VERSION OF ANDROID YOUR [presumably] ROOTED BUT OTHERWISE STOCK TABLET IS RUNNING.

Then, boot the tablet in bootloader mode with usb debugging on.

PC: fastboot-windows flash recovery nameofstockrecovery.img
Mac: ./fastboot-mac flash recovery nameofstockrecovery.img
Linux: ./fastboot-linux flash recovery nameofstockrecovery.img

Last edited:

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Guide][NEXUS 7] UNLOCK & ROOT, FLASH RECOVERY, and MAKE BACK

Further Resources ... coming soon ... ish ;)

Last edited:

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] How to Unlock and Root the Nexus 7

Ok so I followed the direction. I executed the first command and the DOS window is reporting that < waiting for the device > . How long should it be waiting? When I started this I did not click "START" on the screen in step 4. Should I have?

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I followed the direction. I executed the first command and the DOS window is reporting that < waiting for the device > . How long should it be waiting? When I started this I did not click "START" on the screen in step 4. Should I have?

In fact when I look at "MY COMPUTER" I do not even see the Nexus attached to my system any more? Should I just unplug and try again or wait?

Nope, clicking START would reboot your phone.

Try typing this: fastboot-windows devices

If it doesn't list your device, try unplugging and plugging back into the computer. If that doesn't work, try turning the phone off and going to the bootloader again.

Sent from my Nexus 7

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site

To be sure, click "fastboot-windows devices" between steps 5a1and 5a2?

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site

Thanks. I think I know what is going on. Every time I connect to the computer in normal mode the computer sees the tablet. So I power it down and then reboot into BOOTLOADER mode. The computer tries to connect to the device, but it fails (noted by audio tone from the computer). I do not see the tablet any where. Driver problem maybe?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Your computer won't see the tablet like it normally would while the tablet is in bootloader mode. Only way to verify the tablet is connected to the computer while in bootloader mode is to type "fastboot-windows devices" into the Windows command prompt and see if the device name shows up in the command prompt window.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

1. when you decompressed the the superboot file, where did you put the folder?

2. you have usb debugging turned on in the tablet settings?

you can also try adb-windows devices when you 'cd' to the superboot folder.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

And if that doesnt work - try this -

Reboot your tablet normally - then go to settings > storage > open the menu > choose "usb computer connection" and select "PTP" instead of "MTP"

Then, on your computer, go to Control panel > hardware and sound > view devices.
Click nexus - click the "hardware tab" > "properties" > "change settings"
Select the "driver" tab, then click "update drivers"

Then try to fastboot-windows devices or adb-windows decives when you are in bootloader mode thru the terminal

Reactions: 2defmouze

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site

When I decompressed the the superboot file, I put it in C:\r1-nexus7-superboot>

I do have usb debugging turned on in the tablet settings

WHen I execute the "fastboot-windows devices" command I get no response.

When I run "adb-windows devices" I get the following:

C:\r1-nexus7-superboot>adb-windows devices
List of devices attached

Face it, the gods are against me.

Oh I am running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with sevice pack 1, on a Dell Precision.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

after list of devices attached, does it spit out a string of numbers?

Set the usb connection to PTP and then try. Sometimes MTP connection doesnt allow adb/fastboot to recognize the device.

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site

And if that doesnt work - try this -

Reboot your tablet normally - then go to settings > storage > open the menu > choose "usb computer connection" and select "PTP" instead of "MTP"

Then, on your computer, go to Control panel > hardware and sound > view devices.

Then try to fastboot-windows devices or adb-windows decives when you are in bootloader mode thru the terminal
No joy. To note: When I connected under PTP I got this

nexusptpinstallmessage.png

When I attempted to update the drives via control panel I got a failure message that Windows couldn't find the drivers.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

also - make sure the usb cord is good, and use a good usb port like the back of the machine, as opposed to like in the keyboard or something.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

No joy. To note: When I connected under PTP I got this

Click to view quoted image

When I attempted to update the drives via control panel I got a failure message that Windows couldn't find the drivers.

now on your computer do this:

EDIT
OK hang on. let me see if i can find them.

Reactions: 2defmouze