External Storage through Micro USB

robpasell

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering if it's possible to attach external storage using the micro USB port?

Is this a mountable port, or because it's designed for charging can't do it?

It would be nifty if I could carry a 128GB SSD around when needed for external storage.

vzwty

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering if it's possible to attach external storage using the micro USB port?

Is this a mountable port, or because it's designed for charging can't do it?

It would be nifty if I could carry a 128GB SSD around when needed for external storage.

My Toshiba drive would not read. It's a 320gb. I was told that it required too much power to run, I would guess it would be the same for yours. I installed stickmount and a few other apps and it wouldn't read. It works great with thumb drives though.

Profilerz

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I pulled out my kingston Wifi drive I picked up for my phone and it worked great on the nexus without rooting. I placed all my movies and pictures on it. Movies play great and I can even skip around without any lag. Just another option

bobK46

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I believe stickmount will work with hard drives if used through a powerd hub. The problem may be that the USB port cannot provide sufficient power to the drive

Roondy888

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer games to external sd and still be able to play them? I got them transfered but when i click on the link it tells me that an additional download is required, even though I have already done the additional download and moved it to external sd.?
Thanks!!

angst

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes this is very possible, example I have 64gb sdcard in my XOOM tablet and keep all of my gameloft files & various others that the operating system use on it.

1 - copy desired files to the external storage unit

2 - Delete the files in the internal storage folder, but not the folder itself

3 - open up a terminal and issue this command for each path you want to use (SU first)

mount -o bind external path internal path

4 - now when a game looks at the internal path it is actually using the external one.

5 - If you are going to do this all the time right a script to do this at bootup.

Hope this helps

RED OR BLUE YOU CHOOSE !!!

angst

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I use drive mount installed as system app it seems to support everthing, drives, usb its loaded everthing I have.

RED OR BLUE YOU CHOOSE !!!

indestructibleguy

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been doing a lot of tests with stickmount and I've stumbled over some crazy stuff. I used a microusb to female USB adapter cord, then plugged my buddy's iPod with his own ipod cable, and the iPod started charging. also, I was able using root explorer to get into 'iPod control/music' and copy all the music from his iPod to my tablet. Apple uses a really weird system for their. Apple uses a weird system for their music (all songs are renamed to four letter combinations) , but a free app called music player for android is able to read the system and display music correctly. using stickmount I was able to do live feeds to my phone's memory. sound and video. I have yet to find the coding for having certain apps or even system running off a flash drive. if anybody figures it out, post it here please.

*EDIT*

Stickmount works with wireless Logitech mouse, no install required. Now to find a good Bluetooth keyboard.... :sly:

Last edited:

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
With my non rooted N7, an OTG cable and Nexus Media Importer from the Play market, I can connect my 32g USB drive or my 500g and 1tb Seagate external hard drive and the tablet sees it. I can't store anything to the drives (unless I root) but I can stream music and videos from the drives.

Philip k Dick

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
really? you can browse an I device filesystem using stickmount? I tried this, not expecting it to work and it gave no indication that a USB device was attached. It would be incredibly useful to me to transfer files between my nexus and iPhone without a computer. Can you give moire details

Philip k Dick

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
it would actually be pretty surprising to me if it had worked. When you connect an iPhone to a laptop by USB it will treat it as a camera and let you take photos off it but thats all, and it needs drivers for even that. To browse the filesystem you need software such as itools or ifunbox. I can't see how stickmount could mount an idevice, unless an iPod is totally different to an iPhone.? As I say, when I try it doesn't even register a device is connected. Its a shame, because it would be very useful. I love my new nexus, but the only thing it lacks for me is a TV out option. I can put films on my iPhone and connect it to a TV using a composite cable with a scart adapter. But the phone has limited storage. It would be great if I could store films on a 32GB thumb drive and use the nexus to transfer them to the phone. That way I wouldn't need to take laptop on holiday. I haven't been able to figure a way of doing this yet. Using a web based method is impractical for large files.Any suggestions anyone, I know this is an old thread?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maryjay