Have you Rooted,if not Why?

nexusisneecesary

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
nexus-71.jpg
Hello members of android central forums and visitors to the forum, and welcome:). If you have found yourself here you are most likely are the owner of Asus/Google's Amazing Nexus 7 tablet,or are a perspective owner of this device, before we go any further i would like to say to those thinking of purchasing the tablet, please do as it is well worth the money.The only way i could see a reason to wait is for the still at this point rumored 32gb Nexus 7. For those who own the Nexus 7 and have not unlocked/rooted, here is my question.Why haven't you rooted?The most logical reason i can see would be the thought "If I make a mistake while rooting my device their is a possibility of bricking my device". This while still possible is highly unlikely with a nexus device.The next logical thought is "If i unlock and root my device this will void my warranty". This is absolutely true, however this fear is unfounded because the process of unlocking and rooting your device is completely reversible, and with the right guide not that hard too do.I Will now turn the non-rooted user's of nexus 7's over to the following guide's prepared by android central's own Zero Neck,2defmouse, and dmmarck. These guys are the best of the best and will help you however they can,i know because they have already have helped me before,still not sold on rooting your nexus 7 why?

Guides:
This will get you started.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ne...-pc-linux-how-unlock-root-flash-recovery.html

Made a mistake while rooting?,Not to worry
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ne...ide-factory-image-restore-your-nexus-7-a.html

What to crank as much power out of your device as possible?
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ne...se-kraken-rooting-hacking-your-nexus-7-a.html

**if you are rooted post a screenshot of your ROM and a description of what rom you are running**

Last edited:

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Spent 3 years of tweaking and overclocking and patching and themeing my webOS devices. Now that I have a GS3....(I know this isn't the exact thread title, but...anywho...), I really don't feel the need anymore. Got plenty of other things to do than tweak this, tweak that. I just want to use my device. Maybe sometime later, but for the moment, it isn't a priority.

nexusisneecesary

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Why root?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Rooting gives you complete control over your device, so that you can flash a custom ROM...and with a custom ROM their is much to do so much to customize..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

AppleBonker

Dag, yo!
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Flashing is fun :)

Get to play with all sorts of stuff..

Exactly this. My UI is totally different from stock and I can tweak a lot more.
2aburygu.jpg

ujypy5yq.jpg

ajabepyp.jpg

nexusisneecesary

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
@applebonker just did a little crack flashing and this is what I came up with...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1350185973311.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1350185973311.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 74
  • uploadfromtaptalk1350185992823.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1350185992823.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 77

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Rooting gives you complete control over your device, so that you can flash a custom ROM...and with a custom ROM their is much to do so much to customize..

Some us really enjoy the stock Jelly Bean experience. I haven't felt the need or urge to change anything on this device, so it sits, un-rooted. About the only thing I may root it for is using an OTG cable with a jump drive.

Don't make the assumption that the only reason people haven't rooted is for fear of the process.

nexusisneecesary

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Some us really enjoy the stock Jelly Bean experience. I haven't felt the need or urge to change anything on this device, so it sits, un-rooted. About the only thing I may root it for is using an OTG cable with a jump drive.

Don't make the assumption that the only reason people haven't rooted is for fear of the process.

While I understand your point and I appreciate it. I wrote this thread specifically for people who do fear the process,and while I understand completely people who simply enjoy stock. When I first heard of the rooting process I did fear the process and the question's I address in this article, are the exact question's I had...

jaskav

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I have rooted my Nexus 7 so that I could change the UI too 160 but now when trying to update to the new Jelly bean software 4.1.2, I get a warning sign coming out the back of the android symbol when it tries to reboot. When it does reboot the software is still 4.1.1.
Is this because of the unlocking and rooting? And should I be able to update?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I have rooted my Nexus 7 so that I could change the UI too 160 but now when trying to update to the new Jelly bean software 4.1.2, I get a warning sign coming out the back of the android symbol when it tries to reboot. When it does reboot the software is still 4.1.1.
Is this because of the unlocking and rooting? And should I be able to update?

You altered the system, you need to be stock to take an OTA. You can change it back if you want to take the OTA, assuming the only alteration you made was to the lcd density it should be simple to change back.

jaskav

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that. So does that mean if I change the UI back to its original stock I can then do the update and after change it back to the 160 setting. Or do I have to re-lock the nexus to get the update.
Appreciate your feed back as new to the Android systems and thus rooting and unlocking.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that. So does that mean if I change the UI back to its original stock I can then do the update and after change it back to the 160 setting. Or do I have to re-lock the nexus to get the update.
Appreciate your feed back as new to the Android systems and thus rooting and unlocking.

Theoretically that should work fine. You will probably lose root after taking the OTA, but you can download OTA Rootkeeper first to deal with that... or alternatively just re-root afterwards the same way you did before.

joshua.worth

Android Guru
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I've rooted many many Android devices but now I've got stock Jelly Bean so I now have no reason to root I only root to get rid of crap UI's or because the software is wonky.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
While I understand your point and I appreciate it. I wrote this thread specifically for people who do fear the process,and while I understand completely people who simply enjoy stock. When I first heard of the rooting process I did fear the process and the question's I address in this article, are the exact question's I had...
I understand your point but the subject line invites people to say why they haven't rooted. My answer is I haven't felt the need. Other than home screen rotation, which is fixed now, my Nexus 7 does what I want it to do. I understand some people like to tinker, whether it's software, motorcycle, or other hobbies. But other people just enjoy the ride.

CompuDino

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Spent 3 years of tweaking and overclocking and patching and themeing my webOS devices. Now that I have a GS3....(I know this isn't the exact thread title, but...anywho...), I really don't feel the need anymore. Got plenty of other things to do than tweak this, tweak that. I just want to use my device. Maybe sometime later, but for the moment, it isn't a priority.

I am coming to a similar, but opposite conclusion on this topic - Rooting is for those who prefer to maximize their use of their device (Nexus 7) and is NOT for those who are content to operate within the set up parameters already packed onto it.

I have always been interested in understanding and utilizing my computer to the max of my needs. And since my needs don't seem to be those of the mainstream, it becomes my challenge to find and use my computer in ways that others don't. I know plenty of emailing grannys who are happy with the likes of Kodak's photo albums and playing solitare etc. I prefer to use my computer for the power of its ability to assist me in data tracking and reference which meant adding programs and making those work.

I have read here (big thanks!) and even found a few go-around apps and its tempting to simply not do rooting 'until I need it', but doing that seems like a set up for a more time consuming and painful 'reset' later on down the line. I resent that the Nexus 7 has been set up to be more a sheeple device, but I'm also happy that I can slap it alongside the running lights and waken it back up to a useful too instead of toy. If I have to root to do that - better sooner than later seems prudent. But that's just me take on this topic which I admittedly am not as knowledgeable about as I would like, but tain't ready to move up to geek status either :p

CompuDino

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site

Excellent points and I agree in that I too want to have ability to use a OTG cable to flash drive access so rooting will happen on my device. And because rooting is a new thing for me, yep I do 'fear' doing it, but thanks to the fabulous references here I feel more comfortable about doing it. (Fingers crossed and going for it!)

CompuDino

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I got jazzed to just ROOT D*MMIT mainly because I wanted to have flash drive (via OTG cable + Stick Mount app) ability. I watched the video, wasn't too scared by it (as long as I could run it in another window for referring to etc.) THEN I read thru the written guide. Now THAT has me freaked out. Yes I am totally sure that Zero Neck understands and has diligently listed all steps etc. HOWEVER I am no where near his knowledge base of terms and understanding about different devices (phones vs tablet, OS etc.) and now I'm back to chewing my nails and wondering what the dingles I am getting myself into!! Is there a hand holding chat room type option here that I need to know about (half joking!)?