Android camera app development?

Claghorn

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I have the rival Nikon S800c (mainly because I could get one, but the Galaxy Camera isn't available yet). The Nikon is (so far) very disappointing because it only allows 8 MP photos to be taken by the standard android Camera class, and does not provide (yet - maybe they will someday) an SDK of any kind to get to the full set of camera features. A plea to anyone getting a Galaxy Camera for a review: Let us know what developers can do with it. Does the Camera API allow 16 MP photos? Does Samsung provide additional SDKs for unique camera features?

ejo4041

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
I also have the Nikon and Samsung cameras for work. I am trying to write an app to take pictures continuously. So far I have only gotten around 1fps, pretty bad. It is a shame that there is no special API for the Samsung Galaxy Camera. There are so many features in the manual mode that cannot be accessed from code. I took would like to see an API or SDK from Samsung ASAP. $500 for the camera was a little outrageous, and I also had trouble getting one without a contract. Just wish there was an update to the Camera API so we could make cool apps with it.

Claghorn

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I also have the Nikon and Samsung cameras for work. I am trying to write an app to take pictures continuously. So far I have only gotten around 1fps, pretty bad. It is a shame that there is no special API for the Samsung Galaxy Camera. There are so many features in the manual mode that cannot be accessed from code. I took would like to see an API or SDK from Samsung ASAP. $500 for the camera was a little outrageous, and I also had trouble getting one without a contract. Just wish there was an update to the Camera API so we could make cool apps with it.

Well, if you don't want high resolution pictures, then you can use the camera preview callbacks to capture the preview images at a fair rate especially if you provide lots of preview buffers and use the buffer callbacks. The Samsung does indeed seem to be much better integrated with the standard android Camera API. I've seen people mention a few things it can't do, but mostly the standard API is working for me. I can certainly take 16MP images with the samsung.