Pictures taken with your Nokia 8.

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I realize this phone isn't out in the wild on the same scale as a Samsung or other large Android OEM, but I figured I'd make a photo thread for this phone too. Hopefully some of you will contribute to it as well.

Let's see those photos!

Here's a few from my first day at work with the Nokia 8:

IMG_20171026_180335.jpg

IMG_20171026_180419.jpg

IMG_20171026_180556.jpg

Here's a video I took at work. The OZO audio is really something else! The audio in the video sounds EXACTLY like it did in real life. I shot in 1080p as I do not have a 4K display to really judge 4K quality anyway.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Pics look more then acceptable for my personal taste. I think it's only going to improve with some software tweeks etc.

Thank you for posting! How is the call quality? Do you get good signal strength ? I know that is going to vary depending on location and carrier etc but was just curious. Good volume? Any issues hearing the other person?

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Pics look more then acceptable for my personal taste. I think it's only going to improve with some software tweeks etc.

Thank you for posting! How is the call quality? Do you get good signal strength ? I know that is going to vary depending on location and carrier etc but was just curious. Good volume? Any issues hearing the other person?

Thanks. The call quality is excellent. Just like Nokia's of the past. Haven't had any issues. Loud and clear.

Also the Nokia 8 comes with a decent set of earphones

ElderHallow

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Really happy with the camera on my 8. I just want it to be quick loading and take a decent picture of what I'm pointing it at.

Stands up to both of those tests so far.

Toby Barrett

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
This is interesting and mirrors my experience. Coming from a number of Lumia phones I was a bit apprehensive about the quality of the Nokia 8's photos. Whilst I think it would be bettered by (e.g) the Lumia 950 the results are not bad at all. Here are a few of my recent ones, straight out of the phone, no editing.

The proof was that, after a recent day out a friend with an iPhone (a 6 IIRC), who had also taken some pictures, asked for copies of my photos.

IMG_20171026_152723.jpg

IMG_20171027_155740.jpg

IMG_20171027_155839.jpg

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
This is interesting and mirrors my experience. Coming from a number of Lumia phones I was a bit apprehensive about the quality of the Nokia 8's photos. Whilst I think it would be bettered by (e.g) the Lumia 950 the results are not bad at all. Here are a few of my recent ones, straight out of the phone, no editing.

The proof was that, after a recent day out a friend with an iPhone (a 6 IIRC), who had also taken some pictures, asked for copies of my photos.

I felt the same way. I've had the Lumia 950 and before that the Lumia 1020. I didn't expect the Nokia 8 to match the 1020 in still photos (I don't think any phone can, unless somebody puts a massive sensor in a phone again). I'm pleased with the photos of my Nokia 8, I also have an iPhone 8 and the Nokia's are just as good. With some software updates and perhaps a full manual mode from HMD in the future it will be even better.

Video I'm more than pleased. The OZO audio is excellent and finally I have a phone that records audio in high quality similar to the Lumia 950. So many manufacturers (and reviewers) overlook audio quality with video recording.

Overall I'm very happy with the device, being a Nokia fan during their glory days it's really nice to see HMD bring back some of the Nokia flavour of the past (ringtones, beta labs etc).

Joe920

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
These are all really great! Why did I get the impression that the camera on the N8 sucked?! I appreciate the sunset (sunrise?) shots in the first post. Very little graininess in the blue sky. On my aging iPhone 6S+ there is a lot of noise in pics of the evening sky, way more than in my old 950XL.

BTW the N8 is now available for $520 on Amazon, pretty good pricing!

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
These are all really great! Why did I get the impression that the camera on the N8 sucked?! I appreciate the sunset (sunrise?) shots in the first post. Very little graininess in the blue sky. On my aging iPhone 6S+ there is a lot of noise in pics of the evening sky, way more than in my old 950XL.

BTW the N8 is now available for $520 on Amazon, pretty good pricing!

Yeah the camera has been great so far! It's not as heavy on the post processing as say a Google Pixel, but it takes very clean and accurate photos. The live bokeh mode works well for portraits as well. The video is great and the OZO spatial audio is excellent.

I had the Lumia 1020 and the Lumia 950. For raw daylight still photos I'd say the 1020 and 950 are slightly better, but overall the Nokia 8 is an excellent "come back" for Nokia. I can't wait to see what they come up with in the future.

Here's a couple of more samples:

Coworker gave me permission to upload his portrait.

IMG_20171026_174313.jpg

Here's a quick low-light video I took last night. Please wear headphones to hear the OZO spatial audio.

Joe920

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Yeah the camera has been great so far! It's not as heavy on the post processing as say a Google Pixel, but it takes very clean and accurate photos. The live bokeh mode works well for portraits as well. The video is great and the OZO spatial audio is excellent.

I had the Lumia 1020 and the Lumia 950. For raw daylight still photos I'd say the 1020 and 950 are slightly better, but overall the Nokia 8 is an excellent "come back" for Nokia. I can't wait to see what they come up with in the future.
That looks outstanding for nighttime video. Couldn't really appreciate the audio with all the wind noise, but I was already impressed with the brief concert recording that I posted about earlier. Everything looks pretty good on this device, I'll give it good look if I lose/destroy my iPhone 6S+ (my rebound after the 950XL) any time soon.

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
That looks outstanding for nighttime video. Couldn't really appreciate the audio with all the wind noise, but I was already impressed with the brief concert recording that I posted about earlier. Everything looks pretty good on this device, I'll give it good look if I lose/destroy my iPhone 6S+ (my rebound after the 950XL) any time soon.

Yeah the only issue I have with it is the sensitivity to wind noise, but as far as quality and accuracy it totally clowns any other phone I've had. The crunchy snow while I'm walking and the traffic sounds were EXACTLY like that in real life. When I put my headphones to play the video for the first time after taking it I was blown away.

Overall phone performance has been excellent too. I think this phone is a real "sleeper" so to speak among the expensive heavy hitters like Samsung etc. The old school Nokia attention to little details is very evident and despite being Android there's definitely some Nokia DNA. It's hard to explain. But I'm digging it :)

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Great Read! Thanks for sharing. I think the camera is going to improve even more so with future updates

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37