NVIDIA SHIELD Console : Specs

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Source(s): NVIDIA Shield Android TV console specs | Android Central

NVIDIA: Why We’re Building SHIELD, the World’s First Android TV Console | NVIDIA Blog

NVIDIA Advertisement plug : SHIELD

Boasting a 256-core Maxwell GPU, the NVIDIA Shield offers console-level visuals in a $199 package.
NVIDIA Shield is the manufacturer's first foray into the world of Android TV, with the set-top box touting gaming capabilities as one of its main highlights. Here's what you get with the console:
ProcessorNVIDIA Tegra X1 processor with 256-core Maxwell GPU with 3GB RAM
Video Features4K Ultra-HD Ready with 4K playback and capture up to 60 fps (VP9, H265, H264)
Audio Features7.1 and 5.1 surround sound pass through over HDMI
High-resolution audio playback up to 24-bit/192kHz over HDMI and USB
High-resolution audio upsample to 24-bit/192hHz over USB
Storage16GB
Wireless802.11ac 2x2 MIMO 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi
Bluetooth 4.1/BLE
InterfacesGigabit Ethernet
HDMI 2.0
Two USB 3.0 (Type A)
Micro-USB 2.0
MicroSD slot (supports 128GB cards)
IR Receiver (compatible with Logitech Harmony)
Gaming FeaturesNVIDIA GRID streaming service
NVIDIA GameStream™
Weight and SizeWeight: 23oz / 654g
Height: 5.1in / 130mm
Width: 8.3in / 210mm
Depth: 1.0in / 25mm

The Nvidia Shield console will be launching in May alongside the vendor's GRID game streaming service.

Are you ready ?

Zachary Dunn

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm really looking forward to it and plan on getting one, pending a few positive reviews. But I'm a little worried about it. Android TV hasn't turned out too well. The Nexus Player got poor reviews and the Forge TV does't have Netflix support, even though the Netflix app has Android TV support. I guess we'll find out in about a week.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
This is one of the applications Tegra was actually made for (no battery), it should do really well here.

I'm not sure why the Forge doesn't support Netflix but it probably has to do with some missing DRM licensing that RAZR forgot to get rather than some issue endemic to AndroidTV, so it probably won't be an issue with the SHIELD. And the Nexus Player...well, how much do you expect from a device that draws power from a wall but skips Ethernet? What were they thinking?