Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
  • The remote is so thin it's almost uncomfortable
  • Can't be on WiFi and Ethernet at the same time
  • Casting only works if the device is on WiFi
  • Performance is killer fast
  • A lot of software available, but only some is AndroidTV optimized
  • Netflix app has problems, even in casting mode

So far the device seems OK, but Netflix is really having some horrible problems on it, starting off noticeably blurry, and then just dying. Glad I left the Chromecast connected for now. I was a little miffed to find out about the Ethernet/WiFi exclusivity, I was hoping I could stream over the wire but still keep Cast reception running, but the device is close enough to my AC router for that to not be a problem.

Storage: You can install apps to MicroSD...but while it recognizes USB storage, I have yet to find a use for it. Maybe movies and emulator ROMS, I'm copying some down now.

VUDU needs to get on the ball here, CinemaNow is on here, but they aren't. They don't even need to do anything really, their interface would work as-is. Just frigging enable it and give it an icon...

Game/Gamepad performance is real nice, and so is the remote, which I also bought. Voice search works pretty well given the limited app support.

Oh, and I have a wireless USB keyboard that for some reason didn't work...

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Please continue to update as you explore more. I am on the fence on one of these and cannot decide. If I could get a 50$ sling TV promo like for the Nexus player, I would already have ordered.

Sent from my XT1096

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, Netflix is definitely a sore spot, right now Netflix is blaming NVIDIA. NVIDIA is looking into it, but given reported issues with Netflix on the Nexus Player, and the complete lack on the RAZR Forge, it may be that Netflix doesn't like this platform for one reason or another.

Missing are clients for VUDU, CBS, and WatchESPN, things I consider important though not the end of the world. CinemaNOW is available as an UltraViolet client, but not all of my VUDU movies are UV. VUDU works in casting mode but not well, and as mentioned, casting only works if you're using WiFi, and I can imagine some people would prefer to stream over a wire.

Beach Buggy Racing looked SOOO SWEET played on this, can't wait to try Modern Combat and Dead Trigger. Also working on getting FPSE going. Have a ticket open with NVIDIA regarding Netflix, and I still have my BluRay player, which will let me do Netflix and VUDU in a pinch (they're so slow though).

Voice search is very slick for where it's enabled. I'm getting used to how narrow the remote is, though frankly I use the controller more often. Harmony works OK, but introduces extra lag. Trying to decide exactly how I want to do the control setup.

madaudio

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Netflix is now working. WiFi performance is solid, so far I don't miss the wire.
When you say Netflix is working, does the shield get a full 1080p and 5.1 (or better) surround from Netflix?
I had got the impression that Netflix just wasn't providing both (esp the 5.1 surround) on any android device.
If you are getting it on the Shield, I wonder if Netflix Australia (where I am) also supports this, as I have noticed that the same devices get different Netflix experiences, in different parts of the world?

anon(386684)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Netflix has 5.1 sound on the Shield TV as long as your receiver supports EAC3 audio (most do) and your TV supports EAC3 passthrough (most do not), or you can go directly to the receiver.

Orionsaint

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
The Nvidia Android TV is more than meets the eye when you first get it. In other words you can do everything it wants you to do on it but then you can sideload, root, add storage. There's a lot of fun to be had experimenting.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I took advantage of the offer for a free remote last week and picked up an Nvidia Shield TV. I love the hardware and the software seems to be an improvement over the old Google TV interface, but I have to say I'm VERY disappointed in the checkered support. Of course I knew Amazon Prime was MIA, but because HBO GO and FXNow require authentication with my provider, I'm left high and dry because Comcast support is missing!

What's going on here?

Posted via the Android Central App

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I took advantage of the offer for a free remote last week and picked up an Nvidia Shield TV. I love the hardware and the software seems to be an improvement over the old Google TV interface, but I have to say I'm VERY disappointed in the checkered support. Of course I knew Amazon Prime was MIA, but because HBO GO and FXNow require authentication with my provider, I'm left high and dry because Comcast support is missing!

What's going on here?

Posted via the Android Central App
What's going on is Comcast is being Comcast. It's not an NVIDIA or Android thing.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Missing support from one of (if not the largest) cable operator could be an NVIDIA thing. It's frustrating not knowing which apps may not work solely because some agreement hasn't been hammered out between the two companies.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Missing support from one of (if not the largest) cable operator could be an NVIDIA thing. It's frustrating not knowing which apps may not work solely because some agreement hasn't been hammered out between the two companies.

No, it's not an NVIDIA thing, NVIDIA is just providing the hardware platform that the apps are running on. I'd look towards the app makers, they're the ones that have to make the deal with the cable providers. It's between HBO and Comcast, and FX and Comcast. And I'd place my bets on Comcast being the issue knowing Comcast. I bet they don't work on a regular Android device or a Roku either.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Not quite... Those regular Android apps (HBO GO and FXNow) do work on my Android tablets and phones and happily cast to a Chromecast. They also work on Amazon's FireStick, with the same Comcast credentials. I'm not putting all the blame on NVIDIA and I'm fully aware that it's more than likely Comcast holding up the works. It's just frustrating to drop $200 on a device that only half works they way you want.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar