Just got my Shield, is there an app similar to WDTV?

sauron4

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Just got my Shield

Hi all,

I have just got my Shield yesterday and I'm liking what I have used so far but I have come from the WDTV Live and I'm wondering if there's any app that I can get that are similar to the WDTV as I still have a lot of films/tv shows stored on external drives that I like to watch.

I would like to get an app that has a clean layout but also get all the content info about the films/tv shows.

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: Just got my Shield

I use Kodi. It's simple, customisable, plays all known formats and very easy to use. The only thing it doesn't do at the moment is pass through HD audio, but apparently they are working on it.

sauron4

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site

Thanks D Android.

I've got Kodi installed but it's not the same as how the WDTV displays videos. Are there any apps that work like the WDTV?

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site

That's a shame, would be good to have one like that as I do like to have all the artwork and info.

Posted via the Android Central App

Artwork and other info is supported in Kodi too and works very well IMO. The only thing I miss in Kodi right now is HD audio passthrough which should be introduced in v.17 (according to their forum).

sauron4

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Artwork and other info is supported in Kodi too and works very well IMO. The only thing I miss in Kodi right now is HD audio passthrough which should be introduced in v.17 (according to their forum).

How do you enable artwork and other info on Kodi as it's not doing it for me?

So HD Audio shouldn't be too long then as v16 Beta 2 is out as I can see from the RSS feed.

Posted via the Android Central App on my BlackBerry Z10

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site

How do you enable artwork and other info on Kodi as it's not doing it for me?

So HD Audio shouldn't be too long then as v16 Beta 2 is out as I can see from the RSS feed.

It may look a bit complicated but it's fairly straight forward.

I hope to see HD audio support in Kodi within a few months.

Last edited:

sauron4

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site

It may look a bit complicated but it's fairly straight forward.

I hope to see HD audio support in Kodi within a few months.

Thanks :) seems like that is for streaming content instead of USB playback :(

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site

Thanks :) seems like that is for streaming content instead of USB playback :(

The same applies to USB playback (or any kind of storage attached to the Shield).

Last edited:

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site

Hi all,

I have just got my Shield yesterday and I'm liking what I have used so far but I have come from the WDTV Live and I'm wondering if there's any app that I can get that are similar to the WDTV as I still have a lot of films/tv shows stored on external drives that I like to watch.

I would like to get an app that has a clean layout but also get all the content info about the films/tv shows.

Custom romm'd mine so it thinks its the shield tablet. Allows me to do all the apps the lean back locks you out of

sauron4

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site

Custom romm'd mine so it thinks its the shield tablet. Allows me to do all the apps the lean back locks you out of

I did notice that there's not a lot of apps to choose from when searching on the Play Store.

How does custom romm work? Does it make the Shield a lot better?

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site

Does look good but at the moment the stock FW does exactly what I need it to with Kodi.

I am not a fan of the lean back interface and I can't load the apps I want..have amazon prime but I can't have my prime movies? The full OS rom is the tablet rom.. So you have all the nvidia goodies and your freedom of normal Android

kaustik

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Kodi is awesome, but you might also be interested in checking out Plex. They are both forked from a common source long ago but have evolved to be quite different.

Plex will install as a media server probably on your home Desktop. This is where the media database is maintained and you can access the content via clients like your Shield or even a mobile device while you are away from home.

sauron4

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Kodi is awesome, but you might also be interested in checking out Plex. They are both forked from a common source long ago but have evolved to be quite different.

Plex will install as a media server probably on your home Desktop. This is where the media database is maintained and you can access the content via clients like your Shield or even a mobile device while you are away from home.

Yeah Plex is great as well but I do personally think Kodi is much better. The only thing I can't get to work on Kodi is setup SMB on Kodi to read the files from my computer :(