AirTV Adapter with Shield TV

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
According to their website it says that an AirTV player is required to use.
Since the AirTV player is an Android TV device your question is interesting. Could the device be used directly or does it require something from the AirTV player that is not present on other ATV devices?

https://www.airtv.net/adapter/

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
My guess is that is probably will work, but is not supported. I'm just surprised there hasn't been many, if any, reviews of the new AirTV. Hopefully someone can clarify this. Thanks for your input.

bendetto

Feb 13, 2017
Visit site
I had purchased an airtv player with tuner and returned it for a few reasons......
#1 most importantly was the tuner would only pull in 19 stations even though I was getting 35 stations with the other 2 TV's and one external Sylvania tuner in my house. I have a rooftop c4 antenna so there was no reason I could come up with the tuner not being able to pull in the other 16 channels.
#2 the channels were not integrated with the rest of the live channels as advertised as I guess that would be coming in a future update.
#3 the storage was only 8gb
#4 video compared to the shield tv I own seemed to be not as good with the colors somewhat muted.
#5 the voice search on the remote would not function as I kept getting the message it couldn't access my Internet when trying to set up and to try again later. I eventually tried to reset the unit and then it wouldn't even pair with remote so I returned it which cost me $16 shipping.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I had purchased an airtv player with tuner and returned it for a few reasons......
#1 most importantly was the tuner would only pull in 19 stations even though I was getting 35 stations with the other 2 TV's and one external Sylvania tuner in my house. I have a rooftop c4 antenna so there was no reason I could come up with the tuner not being able to pull in the other 16 channels.
#2 the channels were not integrated with the rest of the live channels as advertised as I guess that would be coming in a future update.
#3 the storage was only 8gb
#4 video compared to the shield tv I own seemed to be not as good with the colors somewhat muted.
#5 the voice search on the remote would not function as I kept getting the message it couldn't access my Internet when trying to set up and to try again later. I eventually tried to reset the unit and then it wouldn't even pair with remote so I returned it which cost me $16 shipping.

The Channel integration is coming in an update "Some time in February" the software they showed off at CES was beta software not yet released to everyone.

I've now had two AirTV players... The first one I had to return because it was bad out the box.. Their customer support is horrible... I got a bad device right out the box that wouldn't Sync with the remote and I couldn't even use and they made me pay to return it, they even told me my options were pay to ship it back or keep a defective device... and then I went to the back of the line (waited two weeks to get the first one) and had to wait another two weeks to get a replacement..

I actually got MORE channels with their adapter and my OTA antenna vs the same antenna plugged directly to the TV.. and CBS use to cut in and out all the time hooked directly to the TV and now CBS comes in perfect.

Only real issue I have with it is my 4K TV has 5 HDMI ports and HDMI 5 is the so called "Best option for 4K" but when you power the the AirTV box off and back on it defaults back to HDMI 1 and then I have to use my TV remote to switch it back to HDMI 5.. if I power the TV off with the TV remote and back on it's on HDMI 5.... No clue why the AirTV remote causes the TV to default back to HDMI 1???? I wish the AirTV remote had an input button and I wouldn't need my TV remote..... and of course AirTV support claims it's the TV even though with the TV remote it turns back on to whatever HDMI port was connected when I turned it off....