Nvidia Shield need help with my VPN

zdiaz925

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
ok everyone let me try and articulate the problem as simply as possible. SO first of all I decided to get a VPN to use on my shield so I can have a safe and secure connection. As of now I currently use only a few apps on my shield. Kodi, Netflix, Amazon TV for streaming shows and movies and Chrome for browsing the web. So I studied up on VPN services and specifically chose one that still works with Netflix and Amazon due to fact that those services have spent alot of time and money to try to make sure people don't use their services with a VPN. I use ExpressVPN. Its does work fine on my laptop and does what it should and provides a safe secure connection in a fast efficient manner, including working with Netflix and Amazon prime. However when I use the ExpressVPN app on my Nvidia Shield it's works great up until I try and log into Netflix or Amazon TV. Then I get the error message through N.F. or Amz. TV that I am using VPN software and please turn it off to use the apps. Which I guess I could just turn off the VPN every time I want to use those two apps but it is killing me because I know there is a fix I'm just not well versed in the depths of VPN tech or Android Tech. its something to do with one of the following is my guess.
1#shield itself (which is weird because the VPN works fine on web browsing and Kodi) i checked it the VPN is 100% working.
2# Netflix and Amazon Apps themselves(because on my laptop I run those directly from the website and they do work with my VPN on).I tried running through the web on my shield and I'm redirected to the apps.
I worked with a tech from Express VPN which tried many fixes and is unsure why those apps on the Sheild are still blocking the use of them with my vpn on even though everything works smooth on my laptop. He suggested one fix that might work (changing the DNS settings at the router ) which I cant do, that I know of, because off my router DNS settings being locked down because its a comcast/xfinity provided router. I just want to be able to jump from Kodi to netflix without having to go into my apps and turning my VPN off and on everytime. Again everything works fine on my laptop with the VPN running. AHHHH IM GOING A LITTLE CRAZY,LOL. been trying to figure this out for a week. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

zdiaz925

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
been doing some more research myself and I think it is definitely something along these lines,MAYBE.... "Some services have begun using forced DNS lookups to Google and other public DNS servers that are hardcoded in the apps and devices. This effectively bypasses any DNS servers setup by you or your ISP which means Smart DNS services and VPNs will not work. The only way to get around this issue is by setting up static routes or other methods to block your device from accessing Google, and other public DNS servers from supported routers." which im thinking since everything (Netflix, Kodi,Amazon tv) works fine on my laptop while running the VPN (ExpressVPN), I will have to exchange my comcast/xfinity provide router with my own so I can add the VPN at the router level and that may solve things. Again any thoughts are greatly appriciated. Thanks

May 8, 2013
Visit site
been doing some more research myself and I think it is definitely something along these lines,MAYBE.... "Some services have begun using forced DNS lookups to Google and other public DNS servers that are hardcoded in the apps and devices. This effectively bypasses any DNS servers setup by you or your ISP which means Smart DNS services and VPNs will not work. The only way to get around this issue is by setting up static routes or other methods to block your device from accessing Google, and other public DNS servers from supported routers." which im thinking since everything (Netflix, Kodi,Amazon tv) works fine on my laptop while running the VPN (ExpressVPN), I will have to exchange my comcast/xfinity provide router with my own so I can add the VPN at the router level and that may solve things. Again any thoughts are greatly appriciated. Thanks

Have you tried that yet? I have the same issue with my Android TV using the shield. VPN on VPN off, I did some research into setting up a VPN on a router looks pretty complicated come to me anyway. Did you try it? You get it to work?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel