Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Release date, pricing, pre orders and more

NVidia finally let the cat out of the bag. $350, pre orders starting May 20th. Not too shabby. Definitely cheaper than I thought it would be.

So, who's picking one up?

Phil had some time with a retail unit. Be sure to check it out.

Keep your eyes on this section for more discussion.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Default Re: Release date, pricing, pre orders and more

Yeah thinking about, Hopefully this will encourage more game developers to the platform.

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

Thinking about this , its a tad expensive but mabey as a birthday gift for myself in july .
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Why is $350 too much? A comparable set up using a tablet, controller, and external speaker would be at least $350, isn't as portable, and definitely isn't as powerful as SHIELD with the Tegra 4.

I think it's lot of us were expecting this to be $500, so $350 sounds like a steal to me.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Why is $350 too much? A comparable set up using a tablet, controller, and external speaker would be at least $350, isn't as portable, and definitely isn't as powerful as SHIELD with the Tegra 4.

I think it's lot of us were expecting this to be $500, so $350 sounds like a steal to me.

You can't compare it to tablets. It's a gaming device, and it's significantly more expensive than the PlayStation Vita and Nintendo 3DS. Not many gamers are going to spend more money for something that won't play the games they are used to playing.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by JFetch View Post
    You can't compare it to tablets. It's a gaming device, and it's significantly more expensive than the PlayStation Vita and Nintendo 3DS. Not many gamers are going to spend more money for something that won't play the games they are used to playing.
    I just think that's not the right way to look at it. People playing games on something other than a console are probably doing it on a phone, iPod touch, or tablet of some sort. Sales numbers of the Vita are rumored to be pretty low, and the 3DS has sold relatively well, but SHIELD is just better hardware. The screen is better, the internals are MUCH faster, it's more comfortable to hold (at the expense of fitting in your pocket), and it does more.

I mentioned the tablet because I've seen quite a few people say "I can get the same thing with a insert tablet name and xbox controller" which simply isn't true. Besides cost, that solution is comparatively clunky, and still much slower. Plus, Tegra 4 will have exclusive games that have amazing graphics.

I just think people are writing this off before even giving it a chance based on, what, really? Price? I didn't think it would be this cheap honestly.

If the point is to market it to gamers, than you have to compare it to gaming systems. As a gamer myself I know about this. Games I recognize on a cheaper system whose name I've known for years, or a much more expensive system with games that might be terrible from companies I've never heard of? It's too expensive to risk it in my opinion. The PC streaming feature isn't enough to spend that much on when I already have the games on my PC in the first place.

The mobile gaming market isn't mature enough to support this thing.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by JFetch View Post
    If the point is to market it to gamers, than you have to compare it to gaming systems. As a gamer myself I know about this. Games I recognize on a cheaper system whose name I've known for years, or a much more expensive system with games that might be terrible from companies I've never heard of? It's too expensive to risk it in my opinion. The PC streaming feature isn't enough to spend that much on when I already have the games on my PC in the first place.

The mobile gaming market isn't mature enough to support this thing.
    How long would it take to mature then? How long has Nintendo been making the Game Boy? 20 years? I'm not sure how much more "mature" it can get. The market is mature enough, it's getting the message out about SHIELD being MORE than just a portable gaming system. Yes, that's its primary purpose, but the other uses aren't miles behind, or niche cases.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

I'm interested in getting on to stream my PC titles like Metro Last Light or other titles from Steam. Kinda expensive for that though since I'll probably want to play on my big monitor most of the time. I'll probably get one later on, don't see the rush.

Sent from my Nexus 4 via Android Central App

Global Posts
    737 Global Posts

2 weeks past from SHIELD first release date plan. Any more news when SHIELD really available on market? I wonder how bad is third party part problem that Nvidia mentioned a day before SHIELD launched?

Yea kinda weird they'd go two weeks under complete silence. I'm really looking forward to this, but Nvidia needs to be a little more transparent with buyers. It certainly isn't discouraging me, but it would be great to have an update - even if it means another delay.
    Current Phone: T-Mobile LG G3
    Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 3

I'm guessing they will miss the July release. It's already the 15th and no news at all let alone a release date. We don't even know what component was messed up, if any really was messed up. I could see that as an excuse to evaluate whether or not to even release it, especially considering they haven't disclosed the actual part. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't ever get released. I bet presales were so low it isn't worth selling and supporting for nVidia. I hope I'm wrong since I would love to replace my Xperia Play but I have a bad feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by hmmm View Post
    I'm guessing they will miss the July release. It's already the 15th and no news at all let alone a release date. We don't even know what component was messed up, if any really was messed up. I could see that as an excuse to evaluate whether or not to even release it, especially considering they haven't disclosed the actual part. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't ever get released. I bet presales were so low it isn't worth selling and supporting for nVidia. I hope I'm wrong since I would love to replace my Xperia Play but I have a bad feeling.
    While I can see your reasoning, I just can't imagine they'd cancel the device entirely. They clearly have a manufacturing process down - people have these things. While it might not be many, they've likely already invested heavily into it. The fact that it made it past R&D alone is a feat. I just can't see this being cancelled. Delayed into August or beyond? Probably. Cancelled? I highly doubt it.

Let's just hope for the best and cross our fingers the worst never happens.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Maybe they just have their heads down addressing the issue. I have very little doubt that it's getting fixed. Hopefully we'll hear something soon. I'm as anxious as you guys to see it in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Maybe they just have their heads down addressing the issue. I have very little doubt that it's getting fixed. Hopefully we'll hear something soon. I'm as anxious as you guys to see it in person.
    They're still pouring money into advertising. I practically see one at least once a day across tech blogs for it. Sure, it might just be from when they were planning on launching back in June but it would just be out of the ordinary for them to cancel something that was so close to launch. It's not a good PR and a very poor investment. It's better to lose a little money than a lot!

Maybe I'm just being optimistic :P

Global Posts
    737 Global Posts

Well at last SHIELD will available on last day of July
    I'm hoping complete review and benchmark available soon. Especially compared to snapdragon 800

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app