What would you like to see on the next version of SHIELD?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
We know the specs, we've seen some quick looks. What do you guys want to see on the next SHIELD?

Me? I would like to have at least a front facing camera for hangouts and Skype calls. I want to see the Chimera real-time HDR put to use, and that seems like a good way to show it off.

Also, larger storage capacities. 16gb is nice, and so is the SD card slot (I guess), but I'd rather ditch the SD card and have at least 32gb of storage on board. Apps can't go on the SD card, and neither can pinned music on Play Music All Access. So, larger capacities are in order, especially if the Tegra 4 and SHIELD specifics games are large.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
How bout we wait for the release of the first one, try it, then discuss..

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy s3 running Liquid Smooth v2.7 with a 7000mah extended battery powered by ZeroLemon... Because I'm not a chick, a guy with dainty hands or an HTC one user :p

The Bard

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Bigger screen, smaller bezel, more pixel, bigger internal storage (64GB), less weight.

But most important part is games that exclusive only for SHIELD. So these games will be tweaked to maximum Tegra 4 graphic power. Maybe Dead Trigger 2, but I prefer more PC game go to SHIELD, such as Bards Tale and XCOM Enemy Unknown (still exclusive on iOS). With Tegra 4 spec, I bet XCOM can run on better graphic setting. PC game usually have better gameplay compared to most mobile games.

But looks like nVidia don't have much plan to use SHIELD as serious Android console. IMO, SHIELD somewhat like a test device for nVidia cloud service GRID, and to add more feature for their graphic card products on PC. I think that was the main plan.

Posted via Android Central App

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
How bout we wait for the release of the first one, try it, then discuss..

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy s3 running Liquid Smooth v2.7 with a 7000mah extended battery powered by ZeroLemon... Because I'm not a chick, a guy with dainty hands or an HTC one user :p

Well, I already know that I would like a front facing camera. I don't need to try it to know that it doesn't have one. Same with more internal storage, I already know how big some of the games are. Since we don't have cartridges to carry around, all the games you would want to play need to be stored locally. So more storage is a logical desire.

Bigger screen, smaller bezel, more pixel, bigger internal storage (64GB), less weight.

But most important part is games that exclusive only for SHIELD. So these games will be tweaked to maximum Tegra 4 graphic power. Maybe Dead Trigger 2, but I prefer more PC game go to SHIELD, such as Bards Tale and XCOM Enemy Unknown (still exclusive on iOS). With Tegra 4 spec, I bet XCOM can run on better graphic setting. PC game usually have better gameplay compared to most mobile games.

But looks like nVidia don't have much plan to use SHIELD as serious Android console. IMO, SHIELD somewhat like a test device for nVidia cloud service GRID, and to add more feature for their graphic card products on PC. I think that was the main plan.

Posted via Android Central App

nVidia is serious about this being a mobile gaming platform. They can only do so much to lure devs to the platform. I'm sure they want nothing more than to have more PC games work with it, as well as to get more T4 and SHIELD specific games to take advantage of the horsepower.

GRID is not a service, but a client to provide a service. At the moment, nVidia has no plans to offer a service of their own, but are building the hardware to enable such services.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I would like to see

1) Front facing camera
2) Removable screen. So you can buy a cheaper bundle without screen.
3) SNES style D Pad.
4) LED projector

Also Kevin can you reopen my Shield unboxing thread? As a Mod closed it saying the video did not work, but it works fine.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/nvidia-shield/291079-nvidia-shield-unboxing.html

Thanks

The removable screen would take away some of the core functionality (PC game streaming). Would you be ok with that?

YesManYes

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I Just feel the screen gets in the way for how i would like to use the shield and makes it more fragile. I will be using this paired with a TV when i play my PC or Android games. Hopefully in the future a LED projector can replace the need for a screen.

I suppose the most important feature for the next gen Shield is to allow PC streaming over the internet so i can play my PC games at my friend's house.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I Just feel the screen gets in the way for how i would like to use the shield and makes it more fragile. I will be using this paired with a TV when i play my PC or Android games. Hopefully in the future a LED projector can replace the need for a screen.

I suppose the most important feature for the next gen Shield is to allow PC streaming over the internet so i can play my PC games at my friend's house.

Internet streaming of games would be awesome. I suspect quite a few people will be using SHIELD in the same way you described. Now imagine this...you're playing a game and SHIELD is a second screen. Say, for item lists or weapon selection. Or in some cases, the mini map. That's what I hope to see happen. It seems perfectly suited for that task.

YesManYes

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Now imagine this...you're playing a game and SHIELD is a second screen. Say, for item lists or weapon selection. Or in some cases, the mini map. That's what I hope to see happen. It seems perfectly suited for that task.

Would be cool , but i do not think realistically developers will do this.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Would be cool , but i do not think realistically developers will do this.

It shouldn't be hard for someone to conceptualize it... that's somewhat the function of the controller on the Wii U, so there is precedent. It may not happen on the current Shield, but the next-gen could also take into account whatever Google allegedly has planned in the console and/or living room arena and capitalize on any momentum that those gains as an icing feature.

The Bard

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Well, I already know that I would like a front facing camera. I don't need to try it to know that it doesn't have one. Same with more internal storage, I already know how big some of the games are. Since we don't have cartridges to carry around, all the games you would want to play need to be stored locally. So more storage is a logical desire.

nVidia is serious about this being a mobile gaming platform. They can only do so much to lure devs to the platform. I'm sure they want nothing more than to have more PC games work with it, as well as to get more T4 and SHIELD specific games to take advantage of the horsepower.

GRID is not a service, but a client to provide a service. At the moment, nVidia has no plans to offer a service of their own, but are building the hardware to enable such services.

I beg to differ. I don't see any top notch android game special for nVidia Shield that cultivate all Tegra 4 potential. When a company want to enter console war, they need to do just like sony did with their consoles. When PS3 out, there are games that already PS3 exclusive games. Same when Vita comes out. Unlike PS4 which have identical internal with Xbox One, now games can do cross platform easily, but games that cultivate their hardware full potential already in front of the door, and ready to launch same time with the console launch. So people already very excited to buy one. This is not happening on Shield. Waiting for developers to make games exclusive for Shield will be much harder, because lots of people don't see any reasons to buy Shield over others. So developers will make their games runs on as many Android devices as possible. That I will do too if I'm a games developer. That's more make sense. Nvidia should pay some top developers to make games special for Shield, at least there are 5-10 special Shield games will quite enough to lure people to buy Shield, and more developers will interest to make games for Shield.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I beg to differ. I don't see any top notch android game special for nVidia Shield that cultivate all Tegra 4 potential. When a company want to enter console war, they need to do just like sony did with their consoles. When PS3 out, there are games that already PS3 exclusive games. Same when Vita comes out. Unlike PS4 which have identical internal with Xbox One, now games can do cross platform easily, but games that cultivate their hardware full potential already in front of the door, and ready to launch same time with the console launch. So people already very excited to buy one. This is not happening on Shield. Waiting for developers to make games exclusive for Shield will be much harder, because lots of people don't see any reasons to buy Shield over others. So developers will make their games runs on as many Android devices as possible. That I will do too if I'm a games developer. That's more make sense. Nvidia should pay some top developers to make games special for Shield, at least there are 5-10 special Shield games will quite enough to lure people to buy Shield, and more developers will interest to make games for Shield.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Did you see the Hawken game play? It looks impressive. I'm not saying it's enough all on it's own to lure people to SHIELD, but I already think SHIELD on it's own is enough. I was at CES and saw the reveal, and I've been keeping up with the news since then. nVidia has seemingly refined the hardware, and taken feedback and integrated it with these hardware revisions. They are a large company, and are surely keeping tabs on what early adopters are saying (those folks being people that are taking the time to post here), and are trying to do as much as they can to take concerns into consideration.

I'm a hardware guy, and just the hardware of SHIELD is enough for me to want it.

The Bard

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Did you see the Hawken game play? It looks impressive. I'm not saying it's enough all on it's own to lure people to SHIELD, but I already think SHIELD on it's own is enough. I was at CES and saw the reveal, and I've been keeping up with the news since then. nVidia has seemingly refined the hardware, and taken feedback and integrated it with these hardware revisions. They are a large company, and are surely keeping tabs on what early adopters are saying (those folks being people that are taking the time to post here), and are trying to do as much as they can to take concerns into consideration.

I'm a hardware guy, and just the hardware of SHIELD is enough for me to want it.

I watched Hawken gameplay on YouTube. It is quite impressive, but seems it is for multiplayer, which I don't like. If it has solid single player, then it would be great. Quite long time no game such MechWarrior on PC. Front Mission can't beat MechWarrior excitement. I'm 90% sold with SHIELD hardware. but 10% keeps me out from pre-order it. And yes it is about the game. I have MogA Pro controller, and so far, I found it still need more developers support. BTW... if you knew more about SHIELD hardware, I have one question that haven't yet answered or explained on many articles. Is Nvidia SHIELD have haptic / tactile feedback?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude