Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Default Re: [AMA] I have a SHIELD, you have questions! I have answers!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    My answers will be in red
    Thanks

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy s3 running Liquid Smooth v2.7 with a 7000mah extended battery powered by ZeroLemon... Because I'm not a chick, a guy with dainty hands or an HTC one user
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens

Can you use the shield with a regular router? Like the one that comes with fios? Just for downloading the games, and not streaming

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy s3 running Liquid Smooth v2.7 with a 7000mah extended battery powered by ZeroLemon... Because I'm not a chick, a guy with dainty hands or an HTC one user
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    Can you use the shield with a regular router? Like the one that comes with fios? Just for downloading the games, and not streaming

Of course. It wouldn't be ideal for PC streaming, and your experience will suffer, but it definitely works for every thing else on any router you can connect to.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Of course. It wouldn't be ideal for PC streaming, and your experience will suffer, but it definitely works for every thing else on any router you can connect to.
    Oh ok, great. I'm leaning toward purchasing it now, think I just need to see some more games to push me over the edge. I was surprised to find out, while watching a review, that the tegra store is just games that are optimized for the device on Google play, and not a separate marketplace

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Oh ok, great. I'm leaning toward purchasing it now, think I just need to see some more games to push me over the edge. I was surprised to find out, while watching a review, that the tegra store is just games that are optimized for the device on Google play, and not a separate marketplace

Yep. But that's also the great thing about it. All of your purchases are tracked right along with the rest of your apps and are attached to your Google account. The Tegra store is just a curated listing of those games. I kinda like the setup. Makes it easy to find stuff that will work right and look good.

Yep. But that's also the great thing about it. All of your purchases are tracked right along with the rest of your apps and are attached to your Google account. The Tegra store is just a curated listing of those games. I kinda like the setup. Makes it easy to find stuff that will work right and look good.
    Yea i like the setup as well, but when you hear 'tegra store' the or 'Tegra zone ' and the way it was talked about prior to release, you would think it's a second marketplace in which maybe bigger developers would make specialized games just for the shield, but it didn't turn out that way

I guess I just don't like the way it is branded, should have said 'Google play optimized games' or something

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yea i like the setup as well, but when you hear 'tegra store' the or 'Tegra zone ' and the way it was talked about prior to release, you would think it's a second marketplace in which maybe bigger developers would make specialized games just for the shield, but it didn't turn out that way

I guess I just don't like the way it is branded, should have said 'Google play optimized games' or something

There's been a "Tegrazone" app since the days of Tegra 2. So that's nothing new. There are quite a few games that are Tegra-enhanced and SHIELD-optimized. Not really specific, but optimized. Remember, devs go for the largest audience possible, but if they can give better performance on a device designed for gaming, then why not, right?

Sonic 4: Episode 2 and Riptide GP2 are two examples. Both can run on other devices, but play them on SHIELD and the difference is noticeable. There are others, of course, but those two stand out in my head as great examples of WHY it's better to game on SHIELD than other devices, including older Tegra devices like the Nexus 7.

But I hear you, I would love to see a few AAA titles be released just for SHIELD.

There's been a "Tegrazone" app since the days of Tegra 2. So that's nothing new. There are quite a few games that are Tegra-enhanced and SHIELD-optimized. Not really specific, but optimized. Remember, devs go for the largest audience possible, but if they can give better performance on a device designed for gaming, then why not, right?

Sonic 4: Episode 2 and Riptide GP2 are two examples. Both can run on other devices, but play them on SHIELD and the difference is noticeable. There are others, of course, but those two stand out in my head as great examples of WHY it's better to game on SHIELD than other devices, including older Tegra devices like the Nexus 7.

But I hear you, I would love to see a few AAA titles be released just for SHIELD.
    Yea, i could have sworn I saw something about borderlands and some kind of game with robots or something when it was first announced but I haven't heard anything since

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yea, i could have sworn I saw something about borderlands and some kind of game with robots or something when it was first announced but I haven't heard anything since

Borderlands 2 is a Steam game that you can stream to SHIELD. The other game I haven't heard anything about it a really long time.

Borderlands 2 is a Steam game that you can stream to SHIELD. The other game I haven't heard anything about it a really long time.
    Ooh ok, thanks

I need to get a gaming pc one day, from an outsiders perspective, steam is just too good, it's like playstation plus on steroids. Not having it takes away from some of the shields functionality, as it is one of its big features

Is there a range for how far it can be away for your computer when streaming? If there is a range, then how far is it?

Posted via Android Central App
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #37  
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by neonworm View Post
    Is there a range for how far it can be away for your computer when streaming? If there is a range, then how far is it?

Posted via Android Central App
    There are far too many variables for me to give any kind of number.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Any feedback on success rate of being able to play using the shield controllers the games:
    1. Which have controller support but no explicit shield support?
    2. Games which have no official controller support?

Thanks a lot in anticipation for your responses.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by thoughthalo View Post
    Any feedback on success rate of being able to play using the shield controllers the games:
    1. Which have controller support but no explicit shield support?
    2. Games which have no official controller support?

Thanks a lot in anticipation for your responses.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
    I don't have the device, but from what I've seen in videos is its either :

1. The controls work but some buttons don't work as intended, for example, I saw a video from Engadget and the reviewer said when playing a grand theft auto game, the trigger didn't make the car drive, you had to push the A button.

Or

2. You just have to use the touch screen

Sent from my Google Nexus 7 running aokp 4.1.2 #AOKP-Till-I-Die

Thanked by:

So I have run into a bit of a confusing problem.

I got PC streaming to work great, however I can't seem to get it to recognize the 5ghz band.

I gave an apple express 2nd gen. I went in to Airport Utility and set up the 5ghz band as a separate SSID. I was able to sign on to it with my HTC One, my iPad, and my PC.

However I can not get the Shield to see the 5ghz SSID. I have tried everything I can think of but the 5ghz band just doesn't show up in the WiFi settings (where as I see it on my phone, PC, and iPad).

I feel like I am missing something. Is their a setting somewhere that I need to check for the shield to see the 5ghz band?
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by phasmatis View Post
    So I have run into a bit of a confusing problem.

I got PC streaming to work great, however I can't seem to get it to recognize the 5ghz band.

I gave an apple express 2nd gen. I went in to Airport Utility and set up the 5ghz band as a separate SSID. I was able to sign on to it with my HTC One, my iPad, and my PC.

However I can not get the Shield to see the 5ghz SSID. I have tried everything I can think of but the 5ghz band just doesn't show up in the WiFi settings (where as I see it on my phone, PC, and iPad).

I feel like I am missing something. Is their a setting somewhere that I need to check for the shield to see the 5ghz band?
    No it should recognize it just fine.

I also just played it on my HTC One, and the difference is noticeable. Not as many water splashes, and the lighting isn't as good (as the N7 or SHIELD). Also, gameplay wasn't a smooth experience at all. Noticeable frame rate dips. I know the One has a ton of horsepower, but I think the Tegra specific coding is making the difference here.
    Are you saying the game runs better on the old Tegra 3 than the Snapdragon 600 on the HTC One?
    I mean, I don't have a One myself, but on my 2012 N7, riptide gp 2 runs at a sub-30fps. Compared to the smooth 60fps on my Note 2. The same is true for most, if not all Tegra optimized titles.

I should also mention that the extra effects like the realtime lighting and HDR in riptide gp 2 are only for Tegra 4. There are graphic settings in the game, and Tegra 3 devices don't have anything extra over non-tegra devices.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #43  
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Hussain Booalayan View Post
    Are you saying the game runs better on the old Tegra 3 than the Snapdragon 600 on the HTC One?
    I mean, I don't have a One myself, but on my 2012 N7, riptide gp 2 runs at a sub-30fps. Compared to the smooth 60fps on my Note 2. The same is true for most, if not all Tegra optimized titles.

I should also mention that the extra effects like the realtime lighting and HDR in riptide gp 2 are only for Tegra 4. There are graphic settings in the game, and Tegra 3 devices don't have anything extra over non-tegra devices.
    So maybe you can share with me exactly how you're measuring the FPS of the game. I'm curious because it would be nice to be able to capture that info.

So maybe you can share with me exactly how you're measuring the FPS of the game. I'm curious because it would be nice to be able to capture that info.
    FPS Meter in the play store. Requires root.
    Buggy on android 4.3 though. needs updating.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

can you install apps to sdcard? it maybe a stupid question, but android phones with sd expansion wont even let you do that.
    Thanked by:

I think you saw Hawken, which is a mech battle game. That was what they showed on the Shield demo. I believe they are developing a direct port for it, not 100% sure on that.
    Free-to-Play Mech FPS - HAWKEN: War is A Machine
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #47  
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by cokeblack View Post
    can you install apps to sdcard? it maybe a stupid question, but android phones with sd expansion wont even let you do that.
    No

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #48  
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

For anyone that asked, emulators are a go. And they work fantastically. At least the ones that I've tried.

Can you use the shield as a controller for another android device say like a galaxy note 10.1.

Would be interested in playing the shield on the road, but when I am at home, I would like to play on my tablet's larger screen.

Global Posts
    291 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frenzy757 View Post
    Can you use the shield as a controller for another android device say like a galaxy note 10.1.

Would be interested in playing the shield on the road, but when I am at home, I would like to play on my tablet's larger screen.
    No.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast