[AMA] I have a SHIELD, you have questions! I have answers!

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
What are the big titles available for purchase in the tegra store? Any notable games?

Are there any good role playing games?

How are the prices in the store?

How much space does the average game take up?

How is the battery life?

How long does it take to fully charge?

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy s3 running Liquid Smooth v2.7 with a 7000mah extended battery powered by ZeroLemon... Because I'm not a chick, a guy with dainty hands or an HTC one user :p

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
In order to stream, do you have to leave your pc on? Seems like a dumb question but I want to know.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

SuperTongue

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
In order to stream, do you have to leave your pc on? Seems like a dumb question but I want to know.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Yup - the PC needs to be on. It's basically running the game on your PC as it would normally (you'll even see it playing if you're at your PC) and can still control it via normal input on the PC.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
What are the big titles available for purchase in the tegra store? Any notable games?

Dead Trigger is a good one, as well as the Shadowgun games. Riptide GP2, of course.

Are there any good role playing games?

Soulcraft THD

How are the prices in the store?

Prices for games? Or for SHIELD? The games all have different pricing. Some are free to play with in app purchases, some are a few bucks.

How much space does the average game take up?

That varies quite a bit. A couple that I have weigh in around 250mb, but I know there are games that are much larger.

How is the battery life?

Great. No complaints from me. It's billed as a "tablet", so battery life is what you'd expect from a tablet. I can play Riptide GP2 for hours without worrying about charging it. Same with streaming.

How long does it take to fully charge?

A while. It has a big battery. Longer if you're using it while charging. The good news is that you can use it and charge at the same time, it's a high output charger.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy s3 running Liquid Smooth v2.7 with a 7000mah extended battery powered by ZeroLemon... Because I'm not a chick, a guy with dainty hands or an HTC one user :p

My answers will be in red

mlevsky

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey, its definitely possible to run daggerfall on it, but do you think we will be able to use the controller for it? and if you know a way could you share?

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Can you use the shield with a regular router? Like the one that comes with fios? Just for downloading the games, and not streaming

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Can you use the shield with a regular router? Like the one that comes with fios? Just for downloading the games, and not streaming

Of course. It wouldn't be ideal for PC streaming, and your experience will suffer, but it definitely works for every thing else on any router you can connect to.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Of course. It wouldn't be ideal for PC streaming, and your experience will suffer, but it definitely works for every thing else on any router you can connect to.

Oh ok, great. I'm leaning toward purchasing it now, think I just need to see some more games to push me over the edge. I was surprised to find out, while watching a review, that the tegra store is just games that are optimized for the device on Google play, and not a separate marketplace

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Oh ok, great. I'm leaning toward purchasing it now, think I just need to see some more games to push me over the edge. I was surprised to find out, while watching a review, that the tegra store is just games that are optimized for the device on Google play, and not a separate marketplace

Yep. But that's also the great thing about it. All of your purchases are tracked right along with the rest of your apps and are attached to your Google account. The Tegra store is just a curated listing of those games. I kinda like the setup. Makes it easy to find stuff that will work right and look good.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Yep. But that's also the great thing about it. All of your purchases are tracked right along with the rest of your apps and are attached to your Google account. The Tegra store is just a curated listing of those games. I kinda like the setup. Makes it easy to find stuff that will work right and look good.

Yea i like the setup as well, but when you hear 'tegra store' the or 'Tegra zone ' and the way it was talked about prior to release, you would think it's a second marketplace in which maybe bigger developers would make specialized games just for the shield, but it didn't turn out that way

I guess I just don't like the way it is branded, should have said 'Google play optimized games' or something

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yea i like the setup as well, but when you hear 'tegra store' the or 'Tegra zone ' and the way it was talked about prior to release, you would think it's a second marketplace in which maybe bigger developers would make specialized games just for the shield, but it didn't turn out that way

I guess I just don't like the way it is branded, should have said 'Google play optimized games' or something

There's been a "Tegrazone" app since the days of Tegra 2. So that's nothing new. There are quite a few games that are Tegra-enhanced and SHIELD-optimized. Not really specific, but optimized. Remember, devs go for the largest audience possible, but if they can give better performance on a device designed for gaming, then why not, right?

Sonic 4: Episode 2 and Riptide GP2 are two examples. Both can run on other devices, but play them on SHIELD and the difference is noticeable. There are others, of course, but those two stand out in my head as great examples of WHY it's better to game on SHIELD than other devices, including older Tegra devices like the Nexus 7.

But I hear you, I would love to see a few AAA titles be released just for SHIELD.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
There's been a "Tegrazone" app since the days of Tegra 2. So that's nothing new. There are quite a few games that are Tegra-enhanced and SHIELD-optimized. Not really specific, but optimized. Remember, devs go for the largest audience possible, but if they can give better performance on a device designed for gaming, then why not, right?

Sonic 4: Episode 2 and Riptide GP2 are two examples. Both can run on other devices, but play them on SHIELD and the difference is noticeable. There are others, of course, but those two stand out in my head as great examples of WHY it's better to game on SHIELD than other devices, including older Tegra devices like the Nexus 7.

But I hear you, I would love to see a few AAA titles be released just for SHIELD.

Yea, i could have sworn I saw something about borderlands and some kind of game with robots or something when it was first announced but I haven't heard anything since

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yea, i could have sworn I saw something about borderlands and some kind of game with robots or something when it was first announced but I haven't heard anything since

Borderlands 2 is a Steam game that you can stream to SHIELD. The other game I haven't heard anything about it a really long time. :(

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Borderlands 2 is a Steam game that you can stream to SHIELD. The other game I haven't heard anything about it a really long time. :(

Ooh ok, thanks

I need to get a gaming pc one day, from an outsiders perspective, steam is just too good, it's like playstation plus on steroids. Not having it takes away from some of the shields functionality, as it is one of its big features

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Is there a range for how far it can be away for your computer when streaming? If there is a range, then how far is it?

Posted via Android Central App

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Is there a range for how far it can be away for your computer when streaming? If there is a range, then how far is it?

Posted via Android Central App

There are far too many variables for me to give any kind of number.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

thoughthalo

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Any feedback on success rate of being able to play using the shield controllers the games:
1. Which have controller support but no explicit shield support?
2. Games which have no official controller support?

Thanks a lot in anticipation for your responses.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Any feedback on success rate of being able to play using the shield controllers the games:
1. Which have controller support but no explicit shield support?
2. Games which have no official controller support?

Thanks a lot in anticipation for your responses.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

I don't have the device, but from what I've seen in videos is its either :

1. The controls work but some buttons don't work as intended, for example, I saw a video from Engadget and the reviewer said when playing a grand theft auto game, the trigger didn't make the car drive, you had to push the A button.

Or

2. You just have to use the touch screen

Sent from my Google Nexus 7 running aokp 4.1.2 #AOKP-Till-I-Die

phasmatis

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
So I have run into a bit of a confusing problem.

I got PC streaming to work great, however I can't seem to get it to recognize the 5ghz band.

I gave an apple express 2nd gen. I went in to Airport Utility and set up the 5ghz band as a separate SSID. I was able to sign on to it with my HTC One, my iPad, and my PC.

However I can not get the Shield to see the 5ghz SSID. I have tried everything I can think of but the 5ghz band just doesn't show up in the WiFi settings (where as I see it on my phone, PC, and iPad).

I feel like I am missing something. Is their a setting somewhere that I need to check for the shield to see the 5ghz band?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samira