[AMA] I have a SHIELD, you have questions! I have answers!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
So I have run into a bit of a confusing problem.

I got PC streaming to work great, however I can't seem to get it to recognize the 5ghz band.

I gave an apple express 2nd gen. I went in to Airport Utility and set up the 5ghz band as a separate SSID. I was able to sign on to it with my HTC One, my iPad, and my PC.

However I can not get the Shield to see the 5ghz SSID. I have tried everything I can think of but the 5ghz band just doesn't show up in the WiFi settings (where as I see it on my phone, PC, and iPad).

I feel like I am missing something. Is their a setting somewhere that I need to check for the shield to see the 5ghz band?

No it should recognize it just fine.

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I also just played it on my HTC One, and the difference is noticeable. Not as many water splashes, and the lighting isn't as good (as the N7 or SHIELD). Also, gameplay wasn't a smooth experience at all. Noticeable frame rate dips. I know the One has a ton of horsepower, but I think the Tegra specific coding is making the difference here.

Are you saying the game runs better on the old Tegra 3 than the Snapdragon 600 on the HTC One?
I mean, I don't have a One myself, but on my 2012 N7, riptide gp 2 runs at a sub-30fps. Compared to the smooth 60fps on my Note 2. The same is true for most, if not all Tegra optimized titles.

I should also mention that the extra effects like the realtime lighting and HDR in riptide gp 2 are only for Tegra 4. There are graphic settings in the game, and Tegra 3 devices don't have anything extra over non-tegra devices.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Are you saying the game runs better on the old Tegra 3 than the Snapdragon 600 on the HTC One?
I mean, I don't have a One myself, but on my 2012 N7, riptide gp 2 runs at a sub-30fps. Compared to the smooth 60fps on my Note 2. The same is true for most, if not all Tegra optimized titles.

I should also mention that the extra effects like the realtime lighting and HDR in riptide gp 2 are only for Tegra 4. There are graphic settings in the game, and Tegra 3 devices don't have anything extra over non-tegra devices.

So maybe you can share with me exactly how you're measuring the FPS of the game. I'm curious because it would be nice to be able to capture that info.

fm123

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Yea, i could have sworn I saw something about borderlands and some kind of game with robots or something when it was first announced but I haven't heard anything since

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy s3 running Liquid Smooth v2.7 with a 7000mah extended battery powered by ZeroLemon... Because I'm not a chick, a guy with dainty hands or an HTC one user :p

I think you saw Hawken, which is a mech battle game. That was what they showed on the Shield demo. I believe they are developing a direct port for it, not 100% sure on that.
Free-to-Play Mech FPS - HAWKEN: War is A Machine

frenzy757

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Can you use the shield as a controller for another android device say like a galaxy note 10.1.

Would be interested in playing the shield on the road, but when I am at home, I would like to play on my tablet's larger screen.

NikolaB_A

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
--------- P L E A S E H E L P M E ! ! ! -----------

I bought for two days ago Shield. It was a private sale. I was so happy to own brand new NVIDIA SHIELD!! I have tried to install new software update (Update 72) and i got this message:

Warning: No file_contextsThis package is for "roth" devices; this is a "thor"
E:Error in /cache/e3d4c31118f4ac0f9ee701638c0029c2232f3ae0.productionBL-droid-signed-thor-full_
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Here the Img: http://blackarrows.beepworld.de/apps/files/dsc_0021.jpg

I'm so sad and disappointed.... :( :( :( Please HELP me!! THX to all, Thank You very much !!

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The device might be rooted and has a modified rom, so can not take the official update.

Might need to start from scratch. XDA is the best site for people that could help. I have no clue besides this.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I was considering to get this, but the big bezel bugs me. Could have been a 5.5" display.

Still a sweet device, but I have too many already.

Matt Noel

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
i want to use usb internet passthru with my shield how do i get this acomplished.?? do i need drivers? where to find them ? yes i know the shield has wifi access. but were im at in the house my computer hardwired into the router .

MrBastian

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi.

I would like to know a few things about the Nvidia Portable and I hope you would like to help me.

I currently have a PS Vita which I only play Fifa with. But Fifa do not make games for PS Vita anymore - only annually updates - same game every year.

I would like to know if you can play Fifa on the Nvidia portable and not only the mobile version which is a downgraded version of the console version. I would really like to play the real console version on a portable device and I thought the Nvidia might do the job? I know that you can stream it from your PC which is not my interest.

I live in Denmark and I would also like to know if there is any limitations of buying games etc. when you live in a country where you actually can't by the Nvidia Portable. I have to buy it in England.

Thanks a lot.

Regards MrBastian:)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
MrBastian,

A quick look from my NVIDIA Shield Portable in the Playstore shows FIFA 14 by EA Sports. Is this what you were looking for? Also there shouldn't be any limitations of downloading or purchasing games/apps from the PlayStore just because the device isn't sold in that country or region. I know there are some limitations but they are quickly diminishing and opening the doors to everyone.

Hope this helps

Hi.

I would like to know a few things about the Nvidia Portable and I hope you would like to help me.

I currently have a PS Vita which I only play Fifa with. But Fifa do not make games for PS Vita anymore - only annually updates - same game every year.

I would like to know if you can play Fifa on the Nvidia portable and not only the mobile version which is a downgraded version of the console version. I would really like to play the real console version on a portable device and I thought the Nvidia might do the job? I know that you can stream it from your PC which is not my interest.

I live in Denmark and I would also like to know if there is any limitations of buying games etc. when you live in a country where you actually can't by the Nvidia Portable. I have to buy it in England.

Thanks a lot.

Regards MrBastian:)

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi Kevin, I have an icon in the upper right corner of my Nvidia Shield tablet that looks like a circle with a diagonally line thru it. I would think it's a no connection icon but I have a connection. Before this I had a star up there that looked like a favorites icon that one just eventually disappeared. I'm wondering why this icons just keep showing up, or is there something I can do to control them. I took a screenshot but I can't seem to figure how to share it in this reply box. Any help would be much appreciated.

ramjet73

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Anyone here with that previously used a Galaxy Note 8.0 before getting the Shield?

I'm interested in the differences with the experience of using each of those tablets.

ramjet73

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome