Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By WallaceD
  • 1 Post By WallaceD
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default In Hand!

Initial impressions: extremely good build quality. Good ergonomics. Excellent screen. Almost no lag at all.

Haven't had a chance to play all my games, but I can say without hesitation that Shield is the only way to play Dead Trigger. It's AMAZING, simply put.

As you can see from the pic, I'm downloading Shadowgun. Can't wait to play it.

The only issue I've had is with a stuck "X" key. The physical button got stuck in the down position, but the actual register did not. (Meaning the button worked fine, it just never retracted.) That problem fixed itself and hasn't happened since.
    Thanked by:
    Kevin O'Quinn likes this.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: In Hand!

Forgot to mention, the audio on the Shield is fantastic. Little speakers, for sure. But the audio quality is really quite good. I'm impressed.
    Kevin O'Quinn likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

OK, so I've had some more time with the Shield.

This thing is absolutely, astonishingly fun. Shadowgun and Shadowgun: Deadzone are incredible on the Shield. This is the way those games were meant to be played. I can say the same about the stuff by Vector Unit (Riptide GP, GP2, Shine Runner, Beach Buggy Blitz). On the Shield, these games are just plain FUN and effortless to play. The Tegra optimizations make them even better.

I have had (and will have) zero experience with PC streaming. I bought the Shield as a mobile Android gaming system. As that, it excels. Hands down the best Android gaming experience thus far. (Even beats the Ouya... ahem.)

I experimented with some regular apps, too. Facebook, Plume... both work as expected. It's actually very easy to use the Shield as a social media consumption device. It's not as intuitive to actually post items, but the onscreen keyboard works fine. It's a bit awkward, of course, but it works.

The Shield works great as a video-viewing device, too. It wouldn't be my first choice due to the screen size, but the *quality* of the screen is outstanding.

I could go on and on, but I feel like I'm just stating what others have mentioned previously.

I am very pleased with my purchase. Yeah, it's too damn expensive. But it's soooo nice. If it were $100 cheaper, it'd be a no-brainer.

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean

Any chance you'd be able to test that HDMI-out?
    Current Phone: Verizon HTC One M8
    Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 3

Some people are experiencing problems with PC streaming. What is your experience so far with it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

To answer the questions posed:

I have not had a chance to test the HDMI out. And I won't be using it to stream from PC, so I have no idea if it works or not.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,994 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTongue View Post
    Any chance you'd be able to test that HDMI-out?
    HDMI out works just fine. Audio is passed through HDMI unless you plug in headphones, then it comes through the headphone jack.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Excellent impressions Wallace, thanks! Now test out MAME4Droid and RetroArch and tell us how it functions as an emulator machine! How does:

Mortal Kombat II
    Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
    Tekken Tag
    Rave Racer
    San Francisco Rush The Rock: Alcatraz
    California Speed
    Cruisn'USA
    GTI Club
    Virtua Fighter 2
    Virtua Racing

......run on the Shield?

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

FYI: Mame4Droid dev on androidforums.com says:

I'm the mame4droid developer.

And yes.

Shield runs all 2d games at full speed like umk...

In fact, I have added specific support for shield on mame4droid reloaded and runs out of the box all games great.

Enjoy.

I'm pretty stoked, but waiting until the price drops, or I have to travel... whichever comes first