The almost perfect tablet?

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Seeing the reviews of this tab up on android central and other tech blogs today, I have to say that I'm pretty impressed by this tablet, but also a little let down. Mostly the screen quality and resolution leave a little to be desired (though completely understandable at this price point). This tablet had the potential to be "everything" I was looking for in a tablet. <10 inch form factor, great gaming capability, front pointing speakers, stylus built in, and stock android. The only things missing are, of course, great screen and latest android update (hopefully nvidia will be good with these going forward).

So I have two questions... Could you consider this over the nexus 7? The nexus's screen and top of the line android version are big sellers, but there's just something I love about having a stylus built in on a tablet (so that the way I use it is actually different than my phone). Front speakers do wonders for gaming as well.

Second question, didn't Nvidia license the "tegra note" platform to a lot of different manufacturers? This one is by EVGA, but will we see multiple tegra note tablets come out in the coming months? And if so, will they potentially have different hardware specs than this one? Is it worth waiting just to see what other manufacturers do with the platform? I mean if the next one has a slightly better screen, then that practically seals the deal, haha.

thoughthalo

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Seeing the reviews of this tab up on android central and other tech blogs today, I have to say that I'm pretty impressed by this tablet, but also a little let down. Mostly the screen quality and resolution leave a little to be desired (though completely understandable at this price point). This tablet had the potential to be "everything" I was looking for in a tablet. <10 inch form factor, great gaming capability, front pointing speakers, stylus built in, and stock android. The only things missing are, of course, great screen and latest android update (hopefully nvidia will be good with these going forward).

So I have two questions... Could you consider this over the nexus 7? The nexus's screen and top of the line android version are big sellers, but there's just something I love about having a stylus built in on a tablet (so that the way I use it is actually different than my phone). Front speakers do wonders for gaming as well.

Second question, didn't Nvidia license the "tegra note" platform to a lot of different manufacturers? This one is by EVGA, but will we see multiple tegra note tablets come out in the coming months? And if so, will they potentially have different hardware specs than this one? Is it worth waiting just to see what other manufacturers do with the platform? I mean if the next one has a slightly better screen, then that practically seals the deal, haha.

I did a little digging around. The specs are going to remain the same. So, I believe the differentiators could be the build (maybe)

NVIDIA Reveals Tegra Note – Complete Tablet Platform, Powered by Tegra 4

Scroll to the bottom where it will mentions the specs...

Also, i personally want this device even though i have the 2013 Nexus 7 because of the stylus.

fm123

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I pre-ordered it. The issues I have with the original Nexus 7 are solved by this (not enough memory, slow, touch keyboards are frustrating, no HDMI out, weak speaker). Also, I figure there will be other models later, but this one was targeted for holiday shopping, as it just barely makes it in time for the after US Thanksgiving shopping, so the $199 price is ideal for that. I should be able to start taking notes at work before end of November. I cannot stand trying to enter more than 1 sentence on the touch screen keyboard because it's so slow compared to a regular keyboard, and I can't draw anything.

There was a supposed leak of info about a 1080p 2GB version, but of course if they were to mention this it would dampen the holiday sales, and it's status is unknown, and it would probably cost $250+. People don't realize, or just ignore the fact that the other two main competing products, the Nexus and Kindle are sold without intention of making profit. This product is sold for profit. Kind of like saying a PS/Xbox is ~$400 so a gaming PC must cost the same, but that's not the case. HP has the Slate 7 Extreme coming, but seems like the same spec. But they are doing a Slate 8 with a 2GB and 4:3 ratio (1600x1200). So that probably doesn't have the stylus, but it means people are making 2GB Tegra 4 tablets.

Other companies are releasing this, and it is to cover the world market. There is already a pre-order in Europe with Dixons that has between 500-1000 stores. Zotac and PNY will probably release in North America and other locations. However, I would suspect they all want to see how the $199 price model works out first.

It doesn't matter to me, since I know many people who would buy this off me if I had to upgrade later, why, because over 30% of the world population has a native language that doesn't work well on Roman character keyboards. Thus a stylus is ideal allowing any language and becoming digital pen and paper.

While 1080p would be good, it means games run slower, since they typically run at native resolution. Dead Trigger 2 is beginning to push the limits of what this level of tablet can do (it has some slow down bits in a few maps on Nvidia Shield, may be due to cache misses). So until games are more optimized, 720p will be better for gaming. Current consoles, Xbox360/PS3 use 512MB total and commonly at 720p, but we are still quite a bit away from getting to their game graphics level on mobile tablets.

Complete specs of Slate 8 are unknown, so whether it has 1GB or 2GB isn't confirmed.

Last edited:

phoenix5724

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm coming from the same direction fm123 is. For the price, the tegra note seems to cover a lot of the specific things I wanted I wanted in a tablet: stylus integration, size, cost. I also pre-ordered. I know that HP is supposed to release their line of tablets including the Slate 7 Extreme but it seems like the Nividia/EVGA connection is strong with this tablet. I can't see HP focusing much on this with it's many other, different, tablets. I think all things considered this is getting good initial reviews, the complaints are more oriented at what it doesn't have: additonal Ram and Screen resolution, and NOT about what it does have and doesn't do well.

eclein

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I have a nexus 7.2 and was thinking I'd love a shield then I found out about the Tegra note and luckily got one right before they sold out again over at newegg the other day, it's in transit now. I read a couple reviews and started wrangling my money together. The first Nvidia/evga android tablet was a must have for me. Like it was mentioned above somebody will snap this up as used from me if I upgrade but right now I want to check it out for the stylus and gaming....$200 is a bargain I think.
I'm an old guy and right now I'm so pumped up about this coming I may meet the delivery guy at the curb.......lol. I'll update you guys after it shows and I come up for air....:) :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

eclein

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Mine came the 28th and was updated to 4.3 immediately so I didn't have any of the bugs others before might have had. This thing flat out screams with speed, games play smoothly and look fantastic. The N7 has a better screen imo, in fact for me that's the only weakness and it looks fine, it's just a bit less vivid to me color wise. The resolution is fine and the difference barely noticeable it's the color that looks slightly washed out compared to the n7. That's not a deal breaker at all to me as the unit has worked flawlessly so far....I'm keeping both. I love this thing it looks very cool to me and sounds great. I haven't even started really tweaking it yet...I'm gaming!!!!! :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Carrib Blue

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I bought the UK version (badged Advent) earlier on this month by accident. I went to my local PC World looking for a Samsung, I wanted a cheap & cheerful companion to my PS4.
They were out of stock of almost everything Samsung nexus et all. Three choices left Sony (really not a fan) Asus & the Tegra. I opted for the Tegra based only on the fact it was claimed to be the fastest 7" tablet.
Needless to say, wow, with a benchmark (AnTuTu) of 34842 this thing really is quick.
If your not near to a power source I understand the washed out colour thing, if you are, switching off Tegra Prism fixes that. Settings>Power Saving.
Once you've unlocked the Dev mode in 4.3 you can force the GPU to do all of the graphics rendering which increases the overall feel quite a bit.
I've also managed to get the flip cover from PC World, for ?20 it could be better but functions perfectly well.
Price vs performance IMO can't be beaten, better resolution means slower performance. More features (wireless charging etc.) Means more background services again slower performance.
If I could of had anything added, I would of liked a 4G modem inbuilt for when I'm out and about.
Overall great buy!

PS: Nvidia announced that the K1 tegra gpu chip paired with a dual core main processor would be available 2nd half of this year in tablet form. Should be an amazing gaming unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463