Am I the only one who's not excited about the OnePlus Two?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I liked the OnePlus One as it's a very nice phone for an insanely good price. However, I'm not that excited about the Two.

And it's not because I got a new phone 2 weeks ago (LG G4). I'm not a big fan of the company as a whole. I'm not digging their marketing tactics, I find their customer support pretty much non-existent (which is a damn shame) and TBH, after all the touchscreen issues that haven't been fixed on some OPO units, I'm becoming more and more cautious on anything they make.

The Two has great specs, but their decision to go with the controversial SD810 has deeply worried me. They claimed they'll cool it, but exactly how they will do so is still up for debate. In the meantime, I'm just going to wait for the phone to be announced and hopefully, it won't be as bad as I thought, but you never know.

Well, at least one guy will be happy if the Two flops (He's been vocal about the company)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you about the marketing tactics. There were some serious misfires with the OPO.

On the whole, though, I hope it's a good phone that spurs competition, and encourages more manufacturers to lower their prices. There are more and more really good unlocked phones becoming available at reasonable prices, like the ASUS Zenfone 2 and the Alcatel Idol 3, so the more the merrier!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you about the marketing tactics. There were some serious misfires with the OPO.

On the whole, though, I hope it's a good phone that spurs competition, and encourages more manufacturers to lower their prices. There are more and more really good unlocked phones becoming available at reasonable prices, like the ASUS Zenfone 2 and the Alcatel Idol 3, so the more the merrier!

I also hope that it does make a significant impact that gives us great phones for a lower price.

But the main reason I'm not really excited is that 810 SoC. I hope they cool it without resorting to throttling but after seeing the Z3+, I'm becoming very worried.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes, excellent point!

What shocks me about the 810 is that because it's so hot, it initially performs better than the 805 and 808, but after some time, it throttles back to a performance that's lower than a midrange phone released this year, and equivalent to a 2013 flagship

The lowest I've seen is 35k on a G Flex 2 on Antutu. Likewise, the G4, after running the same number of Antutu tests, dropped to 45k.

That's extremely worrying to me, especially when the little brother outperforms the big brother in a marathon.

Traldera

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I believe they already announced they will be the first phone using hte 810 V2 which has sorted out the heat issues in the hardware, not via software throttling, so I wouldn't worry about the 810 they are using.

I mean yeah wait for reviews, but you can say that about any new phone

Blacklac

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I believe they already announced they will be the first phone using hte 810 V2 which has sorted out the heat issues in the hardware, not via software throttling, so I wouldn't worry about the 810 they are using.

I mean yeah wait for reviews, but you can say that about any new phone

Pretty sure the Z3+ uses it and it still overheats.

Posted via the Android Central App

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Pretty sure the Z3+ uses it and it still overheats.

Yeah, the Z3+ uses the revised 810 and it still overheats.

Sony's design may have contributed to the problem and the Two is rumored to have a metal body, so it might be a little better at heat spreading.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm very excited to see it. The OPO was one of my favorite phones from last year, so I'm a bit biased.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
You're not the first person I've heard say they have poor customer service. I follow this guy on twitter and his One kept getting extremely hot during use. He said he never rooted/flashed etc. It was just doing it on it's own after a few days of use. So he contacted CS and they flat out refused to even fix the phone, let alone exchange it. Kind of sad. Brand new device and they refuse to even look at it. I wouldn't buy from them just based on similar horror stories I've heard.

My husband has one but he never uses it lol. So I wouldn't know if his is bad or not.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
You're not the first person I've heard say they have poor customer service. I follow this guy on twitter and his One kept getting extremely hot during use. He said he never rooted/flashed etc. It was just doing it on it's own after a few days of use. So he contacted CS and they flat out refused to even fix the phone, let alone exchange it. Kind of sad. Brand new device and they refuse to even look at it. I wouldn't buy from them just based on similar horror stories I've heard.

My husband has one but he never uses it lol. So I wouldn't know if his is bad or not.

That's really horrendous customer service.

If I was buying from them, I would pray for a non-defective unit.

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I think that fingerprint scanner is pretty cool, and it was very wise of them to add OIS to their camera.

I just got my Google Cardboard today, and I'm really excited about what's to come with VR. However, it's mediocre at best with a 1080p display. For that reason I want a phone with 2k res.

I want Quick Charge 2, I want NFC, and I want a bigger battery.

Really hoping Moto checks all the boxes with the X.

Posted via Oneplus One.. For now.