The OnePlus 2 - What do you think?

derdjango

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Anybody else feels tempted to get one? I currently have the nexus 6 and I like the smaller footprint, the finger print sensor, USB-C, 4GB RAM and the awesome covers of the OP2. Also, with 3300mah and a 5.5" full HD screen, battery must be good. I'm not into rooting and trying different ROMs, thus Oxygen OS looks nice to me. Only downsides for me is the lack of wireless charging (especially since I invested in hardware for the office and car) and no quick charging (MKBHD said something about 3h for a full charge).

oneplus-2-multi-color-2.jpg

What's your take on the flagship killer? Any Nexus 6 users here who are thinking about 'upgrading'?

Last edited:

bitbear

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I've had a OnePlus One since shortly after launch and its been a decent phone. OnePlus' wrangling with Cyanogen and the somewhat spotty performance of OxygenOS (compared to CM12) is also a concern. Still, I was excited for this announcement until I looked at the details. There are a number of glaring flaws that throw the "Never Settle" idea completely out the door. In particular:

1. No NFC - I can't imagine how anybody can ignore this feature with the popularity of Apple Pay and Google Wallet. With chip-and-pin becoming a required feature for credit card processing, people are going to be even more inclined to want to use their devices. OnePlus is targeted squarely at the enthusiast community who is probably the #1 user of this feature. Dropping it makes no sense whatsoever.
  2. No wireless charging - Not even as an option? Again, something that is billed as a "flagship killer" is going to take a lot of hits from the charging features on other devices.
  3. No Fast Charging - The battery life on the One is great, but with the new 810 processor and a smaller battery, I don't think this one is going to be even in the same league. A flagship killer shouldn't need to be plugged before the end of a full day.
  4. No QHD Display - Initial descriptions of the high contrast 1080p panel are encouraging, but with phones in the same price range starting to get QHD displays it makes this somewhat difficult to get behind. The phone has 4GB of RAM, which would be ideal for the higher resolution display.
This all comes in the light of the Moto X Pure Edition announced the same day that hits pretty much every spec out-of-the-park in comparison (fingerprint reader not withstanding). This from a company that doesn't require you to use a silly invite system, has a good track record for customer service, and even lets you customize at the factory. At a similar price-point, the OnePlus Two is hardly in the same class.

In conclusion. I think that the OnePlus One was literally a one-hit-wonder.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Why are you underwhelmed by it? Just curious. I'm interested in this, Moto X 2015, and next Nexus.

The no quick charge is a huge turn off .. I mean I don't always need quick charge but hearing 3 hours for a full charge? That is a long time to get a phone juiced up. I also do not like the invite system at all -- I do not like the feeling of being "invited" to give them my money (as if it is a privilege to do so). I also do not like their standpoint "The flagship killer" since there many other phones that could kill it.

After seeing the Moto X PE (2015) -- I am way more interested in that device.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
The no quick charge is a huge turn off .. I mean I don't always need quick charge but hearing 3 hours for a full charge? That is a long time to get a phone juiced up. I also do not like the invite system at all -- I do not like the feeling of being "invited" to give them my money (as if it is a privilege to do so). I also do not like their standpoint "The flagship killer" since there many other phones that could kill it.

After seeing the Moto X PE (2015) -- I am way more interested in that device.
I completely understand that. I'm still interested to look into it, especially at the price. But I don't like the invite system either. I'd also prefer the Moto X (I think), although I'm a little worried about the camera and no OIS and the battery at 3000 mAh and that huge screen.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Moto x and Op2 both looks nice. Everyone should support OPO because they're underdog!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

redlinecoatings

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I'll be buying the op2 as soon as the invite is sent. I have the one and it's the best phone I've had. Not an issue with it. If the camera was slightly better then I wouldn't have bought the G4. But I'm also interested in the new moto, haven't used a Motorola phone since an old flip.

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Same here.

NFC is of no interest to me.

Quick charge is no big deal if the battery lasts all day OK.

Wireless charging would be nice, but no deal breaker.

Posted via the Android Central App

My sentiments exactly. I've never used NFC on any of my Android phones. I use Apple Pay every now and then, but only because I can. I'm not bothered by paying with my card. Wireless charging isn't important to me at all, and quick charging would be great, but as long as the battery lasts like it should, I'll live. The OnePlus 2 missed a few features that should've been common sense, but it added some great ones and they outweigh the cons. The notifications switch is a big plus for me.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Signed up for the fun, but I likely won't get one. Lack of OS updates, only a guarantee of 1 update, which may or may not include M, and likely won't include any revisions of Android M. No quick charge, no micorSD, though not a huge issue, it's still a disappointment.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
There's just something about it that is intriguing me. I can't quite figure it out. I NEVER use NFC, so I don't care about that. But for some reason this $389 phone is really appealing to me. If the Moto X battery holds up and if the camera performs like they claim, that might win me over. But I'm not counting the 1+2 out just yet.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
My only summary is a single "Meh".

It's overhyped and they barely delivered.

FOR THE PRICE, it's a good phone, but when you consider all the other phones that pack in flagship performance for midrange money like the ASUS Zenfone 2 ZE551ML 64GB and the recently announced Moto X Style 2015, OnePlus is gonna have a really hard time selling the Two, even more so than the One.

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Got some hands on time with the 2 the other day at their SF event.

I thought the Rosewood back looked the best, but the kevlar back felt the best. The kevlar was smooth, yet soft and grippy. Similar to the black Nexus 5, but better. The sandstone back didn't feel quite the same as the one on the OnePlus One to me. I didn't like it as much.

The phone felt really premium in hand and I really liked the metal sides.

It also felt smaller than I was expecting, but maybe that's because I've been using a Nexus 6 recently.

Performance was smooth and snappy. Definitely smoother than the OnePlus One.

The screen was plenty sharp, colors seemed fairly accurate, white balance was on the cooler side, which I like, and it got really bright. It might have seemed a little washed out, and I'm not sure about black levels, but I would need more time to know for sure (only had about 5 minutes).

Not so sure about the capacitive buttons. I had to think about which one to press because they aren't labeled / both use the same symbol. But I would probably get used to that.

I took a couple shots with the camera and they seemed good, but the camera app is super basic and quite lacking. No auto HDR, no 1080p60 video, no manual settings AT ALL. HDR shots seemed a little slow to process. Slower than the S6, G4, and even Nexus 6.

I like Oxygen OS. Seems a little more simple and polished than Cyanogen OS, and the dark theme and accent color setting are cool.

Will probably wait for the new Nexus phones before buying. There will be a lot to choose from this Fall. OP2, Moto X Pure, Nexus 5 2015, Nexus 6 2015, Note 5, and possibly others. Going to be a tough choice.

ElisaAndroid

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I hadn't noticed until today that they omitted NFC from the OnePlus 2. It's not something I use a lot on my phone, but it's nice to have for using Google Wallet or pairing with Bluetooth speakers, etc. Seems like an odd thing to leave out.

As far as not having a microSD card slot, there are those who will dismiss the OnePlus 2 out of hand because of that, but I think most users will have more than enough space on the 64GB model. Would be a nice feature to have, but it's not one I'd miss.

Of more concern to me, as someone who travels to Asia often, is the versioning of the phone. They're offering one version of LTE bands for the US and a different one for Asia. They should've done what Motorola did with the new Moto X Style/Pure Edition and made it universal. That would have paired nicely with their dual SIM slots.

amjass12

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Wanting to convert to android and the most annoying (or good) thing is the amount of choice there is.

Impressed by the OP2 though, and am pretty sure ill be getting this, although im not sure how the invite system works and if i might be guaranteed a sale relatively close to when i add my name to the reserve list or if i'll be waiting for a long time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21