OS 3.2.2 Coming...

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have a decent handle on the Doze/Push Notifications issue? There's a massive thread over at OP (https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/push-notification-issues.451149/) that's doing my head in. In my few days spent with the phone (RMA'd, get the new one today!) I didn't really notice any issues with push notifications. I also read the Android developer blogs about how Doze is designed to work, and again - I felt that things were more/less working as designed. It was also apparent that there are options available to app developers that can also tweak the notifications of apps.

So I guess I'm just wondering if anyone's over here at AC understands and has experienced the problem, confirmed if there's been an improvement in 3.2.2, and what are any remaining gaps in functionality? I'll add to that any gaps between how the OP3 manages notifications vs. the Nexus 6P which I've read also experiences some issues?

I do have the issue where a few notifications pile in right when I wake the phone after been sitting for a while. Doze just doesn't allow those notifications to come through.

My Nexus 6p has never experienced that. Both on marshmallow and the Android N beta.

So here's hoping this will be fixed eventually, cause so far still seems like there's still issues with the latest update, as others have reported. I haven't gotten it yet and will update when I do.

Posted via the Android Central App

tpmbb10

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Cheers, thanks for that. I can understand why users claim to have varying results, making it difficult to verify either way.

Based on This, My understanding is that we can only expect notifications from apps using Google Cloud Messaging with High priority to be delivered immediately while the phone is in Doze. I tried searching for a list of mainstream apps that use this, but couldn't find one. But the fact that this is a Google article and it recommends using Normal priority for email, and High priority for apps like instant messaging - Maybe we should not to expect Gmail to be delivered immediately (if Google followed their own advice)? This article explains how the Doze maintenance windows (where apps are allowed to check for new messages) get less and less frequent over time, and could explain why people who are trying to check for messages on a regular interval are seeing "inconsistent results".

Anyway - I'll look forward to more feedback and I'll do my own testing when I get my new device. I am BY NO MEANS an expert on this, and I'm sure there are issues given the internet traffic about them (which is why I'm trying to narrow down to what the issues actually are)....but based on those two articles alone I get the sense that some folks over on the OP thread may have false expectations about how it's supposed to behave when they talk about the whitelist "not working", etc.

Oops, that got a little wordy. Sorry about that - but the notification paradigm of various phones and how it's implemented device to device (hello, Moto Display) is one of the most interesting features to me. Thanks for bearing with me!

ben55124

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Staggered updates... if you jump through settings to manually check for update, they should just give it to you.

Otherwise the message should change "Your system is out of date, but you have to wait even though all the other people online are updated. Never Settle Fair."

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the battery is better... Just hit 50% with 04:20 screen on time.

*Insert snoop dogg reference*

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Staggered updates... if you jump through settings to manually check for update, they should just give it to you.

Otherwise the message should change "Your system is out of date, but you have to wait even though all the other people online are updated. Never Settle Fair."

Well pretty much every manufacturer updates that way...nothing new really. Lol

bez54

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
24 hours in on the new update and so far so good. Battery is definitely better. Lots of issues fixed. Gmail notification s seem to work but I took Gmail out of battery optie mode. That could explain why it's working for me. I'm happy with 3.2.2 so far.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
24 hours in on the new update and so far so good. Battery is definitely better. Lots of issues fixed. Gmail notification s seem to work but I took Gmail out of battery optie mode. That could explain why it's working for me. I'm happy with 3.2.2 so far.

Good to hear! Can't wait for it.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Anyone notice this when you cover the proximity sensor while on the lock screen. I just wonder if you can turn pocket mode back on if you disable it?

Attachments

• 5128.jpg
    5128.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 26

doa70

May 1, 2016
Visit site
Installed 3.2.2. last night and so far, so good. I'm getting notifications for all apps that I've disabled battery optimization for. I haven't noticed any improvement in battery life, but I never had an issue anyhow. Not a heavy user.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Anyone notice this when you cover the proximity sensor while on the lock screen. I just wonder if you can turn pocket mode back on if you disable it?

I didn't, but I did just try it out.

Good that they've given a way around it if the proximity sensor screws up.

EDIT: Although, with the display on it doesn't seem to disable anything...

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I didn't, but I did just try it out.

Good that they've given a way around it if the proximity sensor screws up.

EDIT: Although, with the display on it doesn't seem to disable anything...

Yes I've noticed that too. When the display is on, you can still unlock with the fingerprint sensor. But it does at least disable it with the screen off.

tpmbb10

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Left the house with a full charge at 8am this morning. It's 10pm and I'm sitting at 37% battery. That's with a fair bit of usage, playing around with Nova, Zooper, texting, browsing, etc.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Left the house with a full charge at 8am this morning. It's 10pm and I'm sitting at 37% battery. That's with a fair bit of usage, playing around with Nova, Zooper, texting, browsing, etc.

Off the charger since 12:30pm yesterday, and with heavy use I'm just over 4 hours SOT with 31% battery left.

Attachments

• 1631.jpg
    1631.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 23

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Wow even with the new update I'm not pulling even close to that...it seems a little more stable throughout the day, but still nothing like the above.