Does the OnePlus 3 get extremely hot to the touch?

A

AC Question

Everywhere I looked they said that the OnePlus 3 has the least thermal throttling and best sustained performance of any phone out there. But nobody discussed why exactly it did not throttle while other phones did. Everyone simply said "Oh they must have very good thermal management or something". Then I saw a video comparing the temperatures of the ZTE axon 7 and the OnePlus 3 (google "Zte axon 7 vs OnePlus 3 antutu thermal throttling"), it turns out the reason the OnePlus 3 doesn't throttle isn't some magical thermal dissipation and management, it's solely because they raised the temperature limit at which the phone would throttle to beyond comfortable zones. In the video with just a few iterations of Antutu CPU test, the OnePlus 3 metal skin's temperature reached a scorching 47 degrees Celcius. Google shows that holding anything metal at 50 degrees Celcius for more than a brief moment can cause tissue damage (1st degree burns). And this phone was just shy of that temperature during Antutu benchmarks when only the was CPU running, so can you imagine what temperatures it would reach when you're playing a highly graphical game where both CPU and GPU are being taxed at the same time? Why does nobody talk about this?

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Everywhere I looked they said that the OnePlus 3 has the least thermal throttling and best sustained performance of any phone out there. But nobody discussed why exactly it did not throttle while other phones did. Everyone simply said "Oh they must have very good thermal management or something". Then I saw a video comparing the temperatures of the ZTE axon 7 and the OnePlus 3 (google "Zte axon 7 vs OnePlus 3 antutu thermal throttling"), it turns out the reason the OnePlus 3 doesn't throttle isn't some magical thermal dissipation and management, it's solely because they raised the temperature limit at which the phone would throttle to beyond comfortable zones. In the video with just a few iterations of Antutu CPU test, the OnePlus 3 metal skin's temperature reached a scorching 47 degrees Celcius. Google shows that holding anything metal at 50 degrees Celcius for more than a brief moment can cause tissue damage (1st degree burns). And this phone was just shy of that temperature during Antutu benchmarks when only the was CPU running, so can you imagine what temperatures it would reach when you're playing a highly graphical game where both CPU and GPU are being taxed at the same time? Why does nobody talk about this?

Mine has never been hot to the touch over the past few months I've had it. I do use one of the OP3 cases but in use cases on all my phone's and compares to S7, S7e or Note 7 I would say the OP3 generally runs cooler during busy times(like app updates).
Generally speaking I would consider the OP3 a cooler phone compared to the other phones I have used for MY use.

pong lenis

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
Mine has never been hot to the touch over the past few months I've had it. I do use one of the OP3 cases but in use cases on all my phone's and compares to S7, S7e or Note 7 I would say the OP3 generally runs cooler during busy times(like app updates).
Generally speaking I would consider the OP3 a cooler phone compared to the other phones I have used for MY use.

Did you run any graphically demanding games on it? That's the whole point of the question: if under high power stress the phone simply ignores comfortable or safe temperatures. Simply using your phone for browsing and calling doesn't reveal anything to me at all.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Did you run any graphically demanding games on it? That's the whole point of the question: if under high power stress the phone simply ignores comfortable or safe temperatures. Simply using your phone for browsing and calling doesn't reveal anything to me at all.

I've used it with a few games, most notably Pokémon GO, which while not the most graphics heavy game, does put a phone through its paces. I've had it get warm, but never hot.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I find that very unlikely to even be the skin temperature, let alone the internal one.

Well aside from there being a few seconds between closing 3dmark and opening an app to show the temperature, I just ran the test and passed on the data... And i did say "for what it's worth". You can find it as unlikely as you want, I did you a favour. The appropriate response is "thank you", not to imply that I'm lying.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress