iPhone 6 Plus or OnePlus 3

andy317

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

Now I know I'm posting on an Android forum but I would like some serious information on the OnePlus 3 and Android in general.

I currently have a iPhone 6 Plus (128GB) and (in theory) due to upgrade to the iPhone 7(Plus) as I buy my phones every two years outright.

I've been toying with the idea of getting the OnePlus 3 and passing my iPhone to the Mrs as she has an iPhone 5 (16GB). I really don't fancy forking out £819 to get the equivalent of my current iPhone when I could get a OP3 for £329.

My options are keep my iPhone or get the OP3 and would like your opinion.

I'm sure someone on here can provide me with an idea of what Android is like as I've never used it before and what it's like switching from iOS.

I must admit that I'm more invested with Google than Apple. I do have an iPad and MacBook but I don't use iCloud. I use Google for most services (Gmail, Drive, Contacts, Calendars, Maps and Photos).

Thanks in advance
Andy

tpmbb10

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Hi, that's a difficult question to answer and you can probably find lots of information online about the differences between iOS and Android. If you have friends or colleagues with Android phones I suggest you ask them what they like about them and see if you can try them out. That's always helped me out immensely. For example I'd never owned a Motorola phone and weren't at all on my radar. Then a friend was showing me his 2013 Moto X and it completely sold me based on Moto Display and the near-stock Android UI. I bought a used one later that week.

That being said, I've owned iPhones (5s, and my wife has the 6s) and Androids and currently own the OP3. I also have an iPad, MS Surface and a Mac Mini that I don't really use anymore. For the money, the OP3 is a terrific phone. My observations having owned both iOS and Android phones is that iOS apps tend to be more polished (although Android seems to be catching up) but the biggest thing for MY usage patterns is I prefer the notifications on Android SO much more than iOS. That feature more than anything else really steers me towards Android. I also find iCloud photos to be a nebulous cluster**** except for the shared albums which is really handy.

Finally, you WILL get better after sales support with an iPhone. I actually had to return my first OP3 due to a defect and it turned out ok but there's no doubt I'd have preferred to have been able to walk into a store and exchange it.

Like I said - difficult question to answer but given you are already a Google services consumer the jump to Android probably won't be too painful for you. You could always try a cheap or used Android for a few weeks before you take the plunge.

andy317

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Hi, that's a difficult question to answer and you can probably find lots of information online about the differences between iOS and Android. If you have friends or colleagues with Android phones I suggest you ask them what they like about them and see if you can try them out. That's always helped me out immensely. For example I'd never owned a Motorola phone and weren't at all on my radar. Then a friend was showing me his 2013 Moto X and it completely sold me based on Moto Display and the near-stock Android UI. I bought a used one later that week.

That being said, I've owned iPhones (5s, and my wife has the 6s) and Androids and currently own the OP3. I also have an iPad, MS Surface and a Mac Mini that I don't really use anymore. For the money, the OP3 is a terrific phone. My observations having owned both iOS and Android phones is that iOS apps tend to be more polished (although Android seems to be catching up) but the biggest thing for MY usage patterns is I prefer the notifications on Android SO much more than iOS. That feature more than anything else really steers me towards Android. I also find iCloud photos to be a nebulous cluster**** except for the shared albums which is really handy.

Finally, you WILL get better after sales support with an iPhone. I actually had to return my first OP3 due to a defect and it turned out ok but there's no doubt I'd have preferred to have been able to walk into a store and exchange it.

Like I said - difficult question to answer but given you are already a Google services consumer the jump to Android probably won't be too painful for you. You could always try a cheap or used Android for a few weeks before you take the plunge.
Hi,

Thanks for your input.

All of my friends/family have iPhones but contract and they don't tend to have much in the way of data. I'm currently on 3 and get unlimited everything + 12GB of data for £20pm which I refuse to give up as I regularly go over 20GBpm which is why I buy my phones outright.

The after sales support with Apple is ok if you get AppleCare but only for 2 years and if you break the phone (not covered by AppleCare) then it costs a fortune to repair with them. I have insurance through my bank so my phone would never go back to Apple in the event of accidental damage anyway.

I've been intrigued by Android since the OP3 came out more than any other phone although the Xiaomi Mi5 did turn my head for a short time.

Is there anything you truly dislike about the OP3?

tpmbb10

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
The only thing I'd change about it is make it 5.2". That seems to be my sweet spot in terms of one-handed use. But if you're coming from a 6s Plus I gather that's not an issue for you :).

I'm on the record as having a difficult time getting good indoor photos of my kids, but *most* mobile phones aren't great, let alone at this price.

Are you in the UK? I read recently that O2 is selling the OP3 now - if they have them in shops you could check it out first hand...

andy317

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I actually went into O2 when on my lunch break but unfortunately they are not connected to the internet so I had no way of looking at most things as they were locked down/needed a Google account.

They certainly look nice and I love the display (not S7 quality, but better than my iPhone).

I think the phone isn't as much of an issue as the OS itself really. Being able to use Android would probably help with my fears of not liking the experience as I only know iOS since the iPhone 3G.

tpmbb10

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I use Google for most services (Gmail, Drive, Contacts, Calendars, Maps and Photos).

I think the phone isn't as much of an issue as the OS itself really. Being able to use Android would probably help with my fears of not liking the experience as I only know iOS since the iPhone 3G.

Like anything, it'll take some getting used to but if you're already familiar with the core Google services it shouldn't be too painful. It'll be the usual things like learning how the settings and notifications work and such. Oh yeah - going from having just the Home button to a home/back/multi-tasking button will be a change :). Fortunately, the OP3 skin is pretty straightforward and not too cluttered. Speaking of multi-tasking....I should mention that on the OP3 (and probably most Android phones with 4+ GB RAM), apps rarely (if ever) need to refresh themselves when you switch between them. I should have mentioned this earlier but this would be another main feature of Android/OP3 that makes a big difference in my experience vs. the iPhone.

Sounds like you really just need to give Android a try, and the OP3 is a phone that caters to all levels of users....let us know how you go!

Novaprime

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
iPhone is undoubtedly a good solid phone and platform. Personally I won't leave android after switching years ago. I had a S7 edge which I sent back for repair, OP3 interested me, bought one, WONT LOOK BACK. It's not a 'budget' phone other than literally being less money. It's the best phone I have had. It's so fast and, so far, reliable. Lots of good suggestions here so far. I'm on BT (who own EE and use network) for £21 a month and 15 gigs of data....I'm a happy bunny. Hope some of that helps.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

At their core, iOS and Android are pretty similar. They both revolve around an app system which allows you to do pretty much everything and anything on your phone. The biggest difference is presentation, and software updates. iOS puts everything on your phone front and center on the home screens. To find the app you want, you swipe across home screens. A few choice apps by Apple's design are in the dock for easy access.

Android tucks most apps away in the app drawer, but you can add any app you want to a home screen (and anywhere you want, not necessarily in a row). You can customize your dock however you want it. You can add widgets that give you both quick glance info and launch the associated app (I think iOS has this now in 10, but I don't know how they work as I've only used up to iOS 9). Android is really about customizing how you view and access your information, while iOS presents you with a general "best case" use scenario as determined by Apple.

Software updates are the other big difference. Unless you pick up a Nexus or Pixel phone from Google, you'll be at the mercy of your manufacturer for the frequency and timeliness of software updates. This means that more than likely you will not be running the most recent version of Android. In contrast, all iPhones get updates straight from Apple, so there's no mystery as to when you'll get it. If your phone is supported by the update, it will get it around the same time as everyone else.

Hope that helps!

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
iPhone is undoubtedly a good solid phone and platform. Personally I won't leave android after switching years ago. I had a S7 edge which I sent back for repair, OP3 interested me, bought one, WONT LOOK BACK. It's not a 'budget' phone other than literally being less money. It's the best phone I have had. It's so fast and, so far, reliable. Lots of good suggestions here so far. I'm on BT (who own EE and use network) for £21 a month and 15 gigs of data....I'm a happy bunny. Hope some of that helps.

I as well have moved from an s7 edge to a OP3. Did you keep your repaired s7 edge or totally got rid of it? I am debating if I should sell mine or not now that I have the OP3. Only thing I miss is Samsung Pay and that is about it! I hated the edge screen it was like holding a piece of paper with the thin sides had zero grip and felt horrible in the hand.

Novaprime

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
The only thing is the camera. Not for normal shots with a still subject. Those are still excellent with the OP3. I have a child and the s7 edge seemed to take less blurry pics when she moves. For all other pics and video clips etc I'm perfectly happy.

andy317

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Thank you all for your opinions.

I suppose it will come down to buying one and seeing what it's like first hand. I have a two week wait until pay day so it's just a waiting game now.

What are OnePlus' return policy like? I see they state you can return for any reason within 15 days but has anyone been refused for any reason other than damage?

andy317

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I haven't switched just yet. It's pay day next week so will be waiting until then.

The Mrs is still using her iPhone 5 so I'm considering getting the OP3 so she can have my iPhone 6 Plus as I refuse to spend that sort of money again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol