Some questions by a new OP3 user and initial impressions

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
So far, I am really enjoying the OP3 (vs the old GS4 it replaced). That being said, I'm on a learning curve on two fronts, moving from a Samsung environment (the GS4) to the OP3, and more importantly, moving from Android 5.0.1 to Android 6.0.1.

A few questions:
1) I had my alert slider set to the mid position (priority) overnight and enabled alarms and repeat callers as well as calls from starred contacts and messages from starred contacts. However, my alarm (set via Timely) did not go off this morning and I assume it has something to do with the alert slider. Any clues what I should tweak to make my alarm work? Or maybe this is a Doze issue?

2) I am not much of a fan of the default dialer. I like to set speed dialers via the dial pad, not from a favorites list. Have I overlooked a setting or do I need to install a 3rd party dialer? If a 3rd party dialer, any good suggestions? I've used a number of them in the past on the GS4 but always went back to the stock dialer after a time because many of the default actions called ithe stock dialer back up, so I figured I might as well just stick with the stock dialer.

3) I use a Pebble Steel watch. I seem to lose BT connectivity occasionally. I have to wonder if that's something to do with Doze. Where can I modify Doze settings? I haven't found anything about Doze in the phone settings. Yet.

Otherwise, I am well on my way to getting my OP3 setup. I decided to continue using Nova Prime vs the OP launcher. I thought I'd save my settings from the old phone, but that turned out to be a bad idea since I have yet to install many of the apps I had on the old phone, so I reset NP, then copied over the main NP settings from Nova settings. That works for me.

I noticed an anomaly with Messenger and Tesla Unread (for my unread message count balloon). Even with all messages read, it still showed one unread message in the balloon. So I switched to Textra and all looks good.

Initially, I had issues with the FPS on my OP3. But it turns out that I was not setting my FPS up correctly. I was trying to use my finger tip instead of my finger print (the whirl). In addition, my finger tips are pretty dry and cracked and were very poor choices to use to setup my FPS. While I could set it up eventually, it was unreliable. When I used the whirl area for FPS setup, my FPS has been absolutely reliable and extremely fast.

zGZUp0o.jpg

I've had no rebooting issues yet when using Waze or Google Maps. I hope my luck holds.

Thus far, I've not found any bugs that affect my usage. Overall, I am extremely pleased with the OP3. Maybe I'll get brave and try a community build after I'm fully setup and functional ... and comfortable. ;)

I'm currently set up using sRGB for my display (never did get the sRGB slider to show after installing 3.2.7 and doing a FDR with sRGB enabled). Believe it or not, I haven't really noticed that much difference between default and sRGB. But perhaps that may have something to do with my brightness settings (more or less mid-range). Anyway, I'm still very early in my setup process and finding my happy place in the OP3 world.

Last, while 64GB is likely plenty of storage for me, I'm used to having spare capacity with my 64GB SD card in my 32GB GS4. So I feel a little naked without that (SD card kept my pics and media data). I'd feel a bit more comfy if the OP3 has 128GB storage. But hey, I figure for the price, I can buy a new OP5 in a couple of years and be up-to-date and have that increased storage and still be ahead of the game vs buying a 2016 flagship from Apple, Samsung, LG, or Google.

I looked at a V20 the other day when I went into the store to get my OP3 set up with a new nano sim. I have to say, the v20 is impressive. But IMO, the OP3 surpasses it in value. If LG would make a Google Play edition (with similar OS updating as a Nexus), I'd love to have that removable battery, IR blaster, and 5.7 inch screen.. as long as it doesn't bootloop. Sigh.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Ok. I answered my own question about the alarm. I found I could get into Doze settings via the battery app. I turned off control of Timely and now the alarm works as expected with the notification slider. The time also stays current on my Timely widget (it was way off before).

There were a couple of BT settings. I disabled Doze control over both of those. I'll watch and see if my BT access stays intact now.

Edit Oct 30: this is incorrect. Doze setting don't appear to affect these widgets. What DOES affect them is clearing recents. This is a totally different behavior than what I'm used to coming from Android 5.0.1 in my old GS4. There, I could clear recents and all widgets continue to update.

Last edited:

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Still getting inaccurate Timely widget time unless I touch the widget. Not sure what's causing the Timely Widget not to update properly.

Also, I'm still seeing brief BT interruptions on my Pebble. No pattern that I can see yet.

Daiz4yota

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
How does google photos run on the OP3? Its all I use for my image gallery, and its laggy as hell on the Note 7 AND the S7edge.

MRS DIVA

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Im 10x more excited to get it now. Something must be inherently flawed with samsungs software. It runs great 20% of the time, and horrible the rest.

Having been a Sammy fan for some time, I never imagined that I would like the Oneplus 3 so much.

So much phone for such a reasonable price.

Daiz4yota

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Having been a Sammy fan for some time, I never imagined that I would like the Oneplus 3 so much.

So much phone for such a reasonable price.

Thats awesome to hear. Ive been a lifelong iphone/macbook user. Loving android, but still struggle with lack of laptop integration. Wish there were google keep and google photo native apps to add to the macbook. Would be perfection

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I need to find what setting I've missed that causes the Timely widget to stop running. It also affects battery monitor apps, etc.

Any ideas what I need to look for? I thought I had my alarm fixed, but now with the Timely widget issue, I'm no longer convinced it's fixed.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. I'm still having issues with widgets not updating:
1) Timely
2) Battery Mix
3) GSAM
etc.

No problems with these widgets on the old GS4 running Lollipop 5.0.1. But the OP3 running MM 6.0.1 has me stymied at the moment how to get them running as they should be.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I've just noticed something that I think is related to MM.. or it could be OP3 related.

I like weather apps and normally keep several running. I have notifications going to the status bar (temperature). On my 5.0.1/GS4, when I clear all recent apps, the notifications in the status bar continue. When I clear recent apps from the 6.0.1/OP3, the temperature notifications in the status bar disappear.

Is this a MM thing or something related to the OP3?

Also, is there a shortcut to get to the system UI tuner? I've read you can touch and hold the settings gear icon until it starts spinning which brings up the shortcut. But I can't get the gear icon to spin. I wonder if an OOS update changed that behavior?

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Maybe try contacting the app developer?

I don't think it's an app issue. I think it's either MM or the OP3 since those apps work without issue on Lollipop and the GS4. I tend to think it's a MM issue.

Does anyone else have trouble with widgets (timely, weatherbug, weatherunderground, battery mix, GSAM battery monitor pro, etc.) not updating unless you crank up the app itself?

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
How does google photos run on the OP3? Its all I use for my image gallery, and its laggy as hell on the Note 7 AND the S7edge.
I found Google Photos to be EXTREMELY laggy and hugely wasteful of phone memory on my Samsung Galaxy S5. There is nothing more ridiculous than not being able to view a photo you took ON THE PHONE just a few days ago without an internet connection, yet that was a common occurrence on Google Photos.

I switched to QuickPic and it has been a dream in comparison. Sooo much faster. More control over photos. Better in every way.

Daiz4yota

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
I found Google Photos to be EXTREMELY laggy and hugely wasteful of phone memory on my Samsung Galaxy S5. There is nothing more ridiculous than not being able to view a photo you took ON THE PHONE just a few days ago without an internet connection, yet that was a common occurrence on Google Photos.

I switched to QuickPic and it has been a dream in comparison. Sooo much faster. More control over photos. Better in every way.

But don't you lose the cloud storage functionality of google photos? I have 26000 pictures in google photos spanning back to 2002. Don't wanna transfer them all to a new cloud

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's an app issue. I think it's either MM or the OP3 since those apps work without issue on Lollipop and the GS4. I tend to think it's a MM issue.

Does anyone else have trouble with widgets (timely, weatherbug, weatherunderground, battery mix, GSAM battery monitor pro, etc.) not updating unless you crank up the app itself?

So the problem (as I pretty much expected it to be) is the user here. But I put this partly on OP too, due to their lack of documentation (or perhaps my lack of finding said documentation) of OOS.

Seems I've been using the sweeper to close recent apps instead of the 3 bars on the far right. The sweeper kills the app process, background services and even resets accessibility settings. Not exactly what I had in mind when I only meant to close recent apps. I learned this tidbit of info over on the OP forums at Oneplus.

So now that I'm using the 3 bars to close recent apps, all seems to be running normally and as I would expect.

So where is this documentation that I must have overlooked about the extras that OOS adds to 6.0.1? :-[

Daiz4yota

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
I store my photos locally.

So what happens if you lose your phone? And what happens when you get a new one in 1-2 years? Never understood how people don't use cloud storage for photos. Ive had like 10+ cameras since I started taking digital pictures, and I want them all at my fingertips

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463