OxygenOS vs Nougat

jack92029

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Google has been selling the Nexus, and now Pixel phones with the RAW android OS.

It isn't clear to me what advantages there are to adding OxygenOS on top of raw Android OS? Google phones seem to work just fine with the naked operating system. Does OxygenOS just provide the drivers to allow the OP components to work with Android OS? There seems to some functionality being added. Why?

The primary reason I ask is that there appears to be delays in introducing Nougat, because of OxygenOS, and with the potential introduction of the OP3T that adds additional complications to this introduction.

I'm an old guy who believes in"if it ain't broken, don't fix it" ;)

mabr82

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
As a tester, I can assure you, even the smallest changes can mean a hell of a lot of work, just to ensure you haven't broken anything you haven't even changed.

I've used nexus phones for 4 years, just switched to a temporary moto in June and love the additional features and gestures. Glad the OP also have similar, plus facility to tinker with the OS on a basic level (ie quick settings) that should be on stock android.

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Google has been selling the Nexus, and now Pixel phones with the RAW android OS.
Pixel is a slightly modified Android build with additional software, is it not?

There appears to be delays in introducing Nougat, because of OxygenOS, and with the potential introduction of the OP3T that adds additional complications to this introduction.
December is the current estimate for Nougat for OnePlus 3. I imagine OnePlus 3T will ship with it.

Android 7.0 Nougat OTA download for OnePlus 3, OnePlus 2, OnePlus X happening this December : Tech : Headlines & Global News

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Android doesn't work the way you think it does. The Nexus devices don't run "raw android", nothing does, and nothing can. Android from AOSP is only part of an OS and needs to be built out.

I dunno how much you know about software development so I'll use this analogy (which will probably be terrible and confusing);

Think of android devices like bookshelves... When a developer like Oneplus downloads Android from AOSP, it isn't a fully built bookshelf ready to be filled with books, it's just a frame with no shelves. The developer (Oneplus, Samsung, HTC and even Google) have to decide where they want to place the shelves, cut the wood, drill the mounting holes and fit them themselves... Then they can paint it, add some books and send it out to us.

It's not as much work as building a bookshelf yourself from scratch, but it still involves a fair bit of effort.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze