OnePlus 3 T-1 - The just said "Never Settle" again. Why?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
True, each phone has its own strengths, but I do like a deal instead of paying $800+ for a similar phone.

The following speaks volumes though, would like to see same test of 3T with Nougat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnn_huKDyEI&t=240s
For sure, for a TON of people getting whatever huge percentage of the quality for half the price is going to be a no browner. If there is a diminishing returns argument for phone value, the OP line up is screaming it.

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
For sure, for a TON of people getting whatever huge percentage of the quality for half the price is going to be a no browner. If there is a diminishing returns argument for phone value, the OP line up is screaming it.

Your problem sir, is your wording. You continually call the OP3T not a flagship yet a midrange device but then refer to phones like the s7 and iphone as flagships. If you agree that no phone is perfect and all have made some sort of compromise then what makes those other devices flagships and the OP3T a midrange? Price? No chance. Flagship is defined by the type of specifications a phone contains. If a device comes out with the latest processor, highest ram, great build quality and competing camera/screen then it is considered a flagship device. This thread has gone on long enough I believe with people coming in here explaining to you why you are incorrect in your wording and assumptions. Its a catch phrase to sell phones, we get it. Stop taking it so literal.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: OnePlus 3 T-1 - The just said "Never Settle" again. Why?

Your problem sir, is your wording. You continually call the OP3T not a flagship yet a midrange device but then refer to phones like the s7 and iphone as flagships. If you agree that no phone is perfect and all have made some sort of compromise then what makes those other devices flagships and the OP3T a midrange? Price? No chance. Flagship is defined by the type of specifications a phone contains. If a device comes out with the latest processor, highest ram, great build quality and competing camera/screen then it is considered a flagship device. This thread has gone on long enough I believe with people coming in here explaining to you why you are incorrect in your wording and assumptions. Its a catch phrase to sell phones, we get it. Stop taking it so literal.
So now you can't tell the difference between the S7 Edge and the OnePlus 3T? A phrase like, "Never Settle" is meant to be taken literally, given the connotation of "Never".

But even granting the title of Flagship to the OP3T - though IMO it hasn't been earned, at all - it still wouldn't explain away the compromises, which are more numerous than on the devices you want it to compete with.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Just speaking for me, I felt like the compromises with conventional flagships (Galaxy, Note, V20, etc) were more than I was comfy with for nearly $900, which I was prepared to spend.

I don't think the term flagship means much more than the top of the line from any given manufacturer. From that perspective, the OP3t is indeed a flagship, especially since it has a comparable SoC and other components that are in other flagships.

Now if we want to discuss who makes the best flagship, that really gets into individual preferences. ;)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Just speaking for me, I felt like the compromises with conventional flagships (Galaxy, Note, V20, etc) were more than I was comfy with for nearly $900, which I was prepared to spend.

Definitely going to be a common opinion. That's a value argument and the diminishing returns argument becomes pretty important. If you can get 40% of the quality for 13% of the price (there are $99 phones out there now) - does it really make so much sense? How about when you can get 70% of the quality for 50% of the price? Which is what you'd want? What if it's 90% of the quality for 75% of
the price? Dollar for dollar, the quality per dollar ratio always goes down as you near the top.

2016-12-07.png

My opinion is that the OP3T is doing something weird to the chart and inserting themselves at 80% of the quality, but instead of 63% of the price (normal scaling) they're pushing something that seems a lot more like 80% of the quality at 57% of the price - giving it a much better quality per dollar ratio. That ratio can be relabeled as "value" as it is just an approximation of how much value you get per dollar spent.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
The weird thing that kinda upsets the chart is the OS/skin factor. For whatever reason, I was more comfy with the OP Oxygen skin than I was with the Axon 7 skin, neither of which I knew anything about. Go figure. But perhaps because I had a vague idea in the back of my mind that OOS was pretty developer friendly.

Part of my compromise with the conventional 2016 flagships (S7/S7E/V20/iPhone7+, etc.) were the known idiosyncrasies of their skins/OS- especially in the case of iOS. Which I why I really wanted to go Nexus for 2016. Except that Pixel happened and I neither cared for the design nor the price of the Apple-esque Pixel.

I would have been really happy with an updated Nexus 6P.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The weird thing that kinda upsets the chart is the OS/skin factor. For whatever reason, I was more comfy with the OP Oxygen skin than I was with the Axon 7 skin, neither of which I knew anything about. Go figure. But perhaps because I had a vague idea in the back of my mind that OOS was pretty developer friendly.

Part of my compromise with the conventional 2016 flagships (S7/S7E/V20/iPhone7+, etc.) were the known idiosyncrasies of their skins/OS- especially in the case of iOS. Which I why I really wanted to go Nexus for 2016. Except that Pixel happened and I neither cared for the design nor the price of the Apple-esque Pixel.

I would have been really happy with an updated Nexus 6P.

I think I'd feel very much at home with Oxygen given how much of my experience is on stock and/or CM devices.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Heck, even the Pixels have a skin now - so what are you gonna do? At this point, pick which skin you like, right?

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
This chart still doesn't make any sense to me. You have the OP3T priced at 500$ when in reality its closer to 400$. Who determines the quality? you? Why is the edge at 100% in quality? Maybe people prefer metal over glass, or USB c over micro USB, or non edge , or even Oxygen OS over touch wiz. Its all subjective. The only clear cut advantage the edge has over the op3t is camera quality and screen. The rest is SUBJECTIVE.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I think it's meant to be provocative, which isn't an uncommon trait for marketing.

Agreed. All companies have a slogan that they believe their product(s) live up to. The goal is to make their customers believe that.

Let's take BlackBerry for example.

"Wake up, Be Bold".

This was referring to their "Bold" series of phones and also referring to being outgoing in your life with the phone. :)

A droid a day keeps the Apple away

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza