Widgets Freeze

ItsMikeE

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Every now and then my widgets freeze. Could be after a few hours, could be a few days

So my weather widget gets stuck on location and temperature, pushbullet widget does not switch between notifying/not notifying
This is fixed by a reboot

I am unrooted and on 3.2.8, but this happened on previous versions as well

Any ideas what causes it?
Anyone found a fix?

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
The only times I've ever experienced widgets freezing and not updating is when I was mistakenly using the sweeper to close recent apps rather than using the hamburger icon in the lower right corner.

ItsMikeE

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Not the same issue
I rarely clear from recent apps, and had never tried the sweeper until I read your post
Just tried it, and it did not stop the widgets from working

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Not the same issue
I rarely clear from recent apps, and had never tried the sweeper until I read your post
Just tried it, and it did not stop the widgets from working

That's surprising. The sweeper closes the processes too.... as I understand it. When I mistakenly used it, my alarm clock would not go off, weather wouldn't update, etc.

The proverbial fall back is to do a factory data reset and see if that fixes it. Ouch... unless you want to go with the beta 9 and convert over to the new file system. Just a thought. It would be a good excuse to convert at that point, ;)

ItsMikeE

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
I am using Weather Timeline widget - which is set to refresh hourly but there is a refresh button on it
That and the pushbullet widget get stuck, but it might be after a few hours or it might be days - no obvious pattern to it

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I used to use that weather widget on my old gs4. But I haven't used Pushbullet.

I normally have 6 weather widgets running at any one time and decided not to dedicate a page for weather timeline on the op3 when I changed phones.

Last edited:

ben55124

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Weather Underground widget has problems for me too - figured it was a problem with the app. I like weather underground's weather graph widget, but not too interested in the weather from days ago.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. I use 3 widgets from WU without issue. These kind of problems sure are puzzling. If the problem is an app, I'd think it would affect all users.

ItsMikeE

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Hmm. I use 3 widgets from WU without issue. These kind of problems sure are puzzling. If the problem is an app, I'd think it would affect all users.

I thought it was the app at first and emailed the developer
Then I noticed that if Weather Timelines widget it frozen so is the Pushbullet widget, and vice versa

ItsMikeE

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Some other android forums pointed me towards the launcher
It occurred again so I Force Stopped the launcher process and the widgets re-started

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
Ive had this problem a couple times and Ive always been able to fix it by going to settings>customization and toggling dark mode which Im guessing resets the home screen and the widgets. Also the thing that has been causing it for me is adding any new weather widget or google now but after the dark mode toggle all the widgets work fine again.

Chaddawikz

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
I've been getting the same problem recently. After a couple hours all the widgets stop updating but you can still press the buttons on them and they open apps, etc. I found an option to enable rotating the launcher, so when it freezes I just need to turn my phone sideways and back to get them working again.