Nougat, official rollout OTA for OP3 & OP3T

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
To be honest dude, if it's causing you that much stress just leave it on ext4... There really isn't much of a difference beyond a few points of nerd cred... I did mine earlier (I've got TWRP installed, so no data loss for me ) and the difference is basically imperceptible. It's a little quicker, but is your phone actually slow now?
My phone is not slow. I have used developer options to turn off all animation and I set nova launcher prime animation to 'faster than light speed'. I have no need to have "a few points of nerd cred" but I wouldn't complain about having some nerd cred... Is there another way I can get some of that?

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Nougat, official rollout OTA for OP3 & OP3T

OK then when the official update comes, do I download that? Thanks for the replies
I have no problems with the official nougat update... I'm on day two of the official update.

My OnePlus 3 purrs like a happy fat cat loved by its human.

You may have my experience or you may have a bug that does not go away by clearing the cache in {settings > storage and memory > storage}. You may end up having to do a factory reset after the update.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
OK then when the official update comes, do I download that? Thanks for the replies

If you're going to use a VPN to get the update quicker, that's perfectly fine.

Just connect to a VPN in a region that's receiving the update, I did Germany this time around, start downloading the update and then disconnect from the VPN right after you start downloading.

Then install it and that's it. That is the official update.

If you want to start fresh, doing a factory reset like others have been doing, that's up to you. But as long as getting the update goes, using a VPN still gets you the correct software.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I decided to bite the bullet tonight, cleared the system cache, fired up the VPN, changed region to Canada and snagged the OTA update.

It was a totally painless upgrade from MM to Nougat. I didn't lose my APN settings either. In fact, I ended up with 4 APNs vs the 2 APNs I had on MM! I had to add back a couple of system apps (contacts and clock), but that was also a non-event.

I am still on EXT4, but I'm content with that for now. I am happy I did NOT have to FDR and reinstall and tweak all my apps!

Great job on the update, OP.

DominionRoofs

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
If you're going to use a VPN to get the update quicker, that's perfectly fine.

Just connect to a VPN in a region that's receiving the update, I did Germany this time around, start downloading the update and then disconnect from the VPN right after you start downloading.

Then install it and that's it. That is the official update.

If you want to start fresh, doing a factory reset like others have been doing, that's up to you. But as long as getting the update goes, using a VPN still gets you the correct software.

What do you mean "disconnect from VPN" . Would I just go back to the app and change back to USA after the download starts? Thanks very much for your patience. I'm a little ignorant with this stuff.

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean "disconnect from VPN" . Would I just go back to the app and change back to USA after the download starts? Thanks very much for your patience. I'm a little ignorant with this stuff.
Unless you are paying a subscription fee for unlimited data and higher data speeds VPN, I would only use it when you need to. Most free VPNs give you limited data to to use through the VPN and the data speeds are slow... Some do not allow streaming Internet content like music.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I've run some speed tests with VPN on and off. The VPN definitely takes a toll on download speeds. Once I start the download, I bring up the VPN (Opera in my case) and simply switch it off.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

Don't just change to USA, but disconnect altogether. There will be an option that should just say disconnect from VPN or disconnect VPN.

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
are people still using the VPN thing to get the update? I still haven't received anything (USA), but prefer to wait until it rolls out officially

CTalman

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
are people still using the VPN thing to get the update? I still haven't received anything (USA), but prefer to wait until it rolls out officially

Yeah, I changed my VPN to Germany to get the 4.0.1 update.
All installed and updated and no issues.
Cheers.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Just received my Soft Gold 3T today! So far am enjoying this device.

Sadly, no Nougat out of the box, and while there was a software update, it wasn't Nougat.

Wonder how long it'll be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38