Nougat split screen with navigation apps

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I've been wanting to do this for a long time... run Waze and Maps simultaneously in split screen.

vRIvQaV.png

What I found is that only the app with focus updates properly. But depending on which one the focus is on, they update differently.

When the focus is on Waze, Maps does not update anything, but you still get the next turn pop-up alert as if the app was running but not on the screen. Otherwise, the Maps next turn and distance info at the top of the screen does not update at all, and of course, the moving map does not update. In the above example, the focus is on Waze (Maps next turn distance is off by 1.3 miles)

However, when the focus is on Maps, Waze operates normally with the exception that the moving map does not operate. Otherwise, all the upcoming turn info and distances, etc. continue to function and update normally.

One thing I noticed is that unless I'm watching the screen for moving map updates (can't use next turn distance because that works in Waze when Maps is the focus), it's not readily apparent which app has focus. And if I change focus to Maps, it's very easy for Maps to interpret the tap as the desire to add another navigation point.

I have more play work to do to satisfy my curiosity using both nav apps in split view. But the above is what I observed in a 20-30 minute drive today.

One other thing I noticed is that while I normally run in portrait mode when running a single nav app, for split view when running dual nav apps, I prefer landscape. But I couldn't seem to get the 3 finger swipe to work to take a screenshot (yes, it's enabled). I also found out the option to take a screen shot from a long press of the power button (which brought up several options including taking a screen shot under 3.2.8) is not there in 4.0.1. However, I can still take a screen shot by pressing volume down and the power button at the same time. The 3 finger swipe is obviously the preferred method in this scenario. Maybe I just need to play with it more and see if it's a vertical 3 finger swipe or a horizontal swipe when in landscape mode, or if it works in split screen portrait mode.

Edit: after playing with split view, I had no trouble making a 3 finger screen shot regardless what orientation I had the phone. So it must have been operator error when I had the issue above.

Last edited:

bit2002

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
I have the same issue. It seems that generic UI updates will happen, but anything that requires hardware acceleration do not. I do this with Uber and Maps when I'm driving and it becomes a bit frustrating at times. Have you found any kind of workaround?

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
If your question refers to my double nav layout, then it works reasonably well as long as I leave the focus on Google Maps.

bit2002

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
Yes. Waze just didn't work with no focus. My Uber driver doesn't update properly with focus on the maps app. The path updates but not my position which doesn't let the map dynamically rescale. It's a little annoying but liveable. I hope Xposed will offer a fix when it's been updated for nougat

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
No. What I meant is that Waze works great when the focus is on Maps. The only thing is the moving map doesn't work on Waze. But if the focus is on Waze, the only part I saw that worked with Maps is the pop up turn indicator (as if you had Maps running in single window mode but it was in the background).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey