File transfer problem

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I've had my OP3 for 7 months now and still love it. From time to time, I transfer pics from my OP3 to my PC via my WLAN. For some reason, I can no longer do that and simply get an error message saying, "The item "IMGxxxx.jpg" could not be read."

yZL8hjU.png

I've never had issues transferring files over my WLAN before. Any idea what might cause this?

If I enable USB debugging and connect to my PC via USB, I can transfer files from my OP3 to my PC without issue. So it's just via wifi that file transfer is giving me problems. So I'm stumped.

I'm not aware of any updates on either my routers (Asus for both) or my OP3/PC that might have changed this behavior.

Any thoughts?

BTW, I'm on OOS 4.1.3 stable. Also, to show in File Explorer (while connected via USB), I have to enable USB debugging and change the USB configuration from charging to either MTP or PTP. FTP is not an option.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Also, to show in File Explorer (while connected via USB), I have to enable USB debugging and change the USB configuration from charging to either MTP or PTP.

This is a security feature in Android 6.0+. Can you get these options when you connect via WiFi, is there anyway you can get these options?

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Disregard. I figured it out. Even though I had the physical drive shared, I had to share the parent folder of the file in question.

Based on the error text, I thought it was something to do with the OP3, but it was a simple issue of enabling file sharing on the parent folder in the destination drive. Go figure.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, my WLAN file transfer problem has again reared its ugly head. I cannot figure out how to make it work any more. So I have to resort to connecting via USB cable, turning on USB debugging under Developer Options, then enabling media transfer protocol under USB configuration. That works fine, but is not nearly so convenient as transferring files over my WLAN.

Wish I knew what changed. It used to work fine, then became intermittent, and now won't work at all.