OP3 Users - Still a Good Buy?

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
The OP3 has definitely moved well up my list, probably replacing the iP7+/128GB behind the Pixel XL. I just can't get into iOS, although the fluidity and quality of apps and OS updates is something Android should aspire to (imo, of course). And still, I'd consider iOS before paying Apple prices for Android phones with inferior support and security updates.

My initial thinking (since no Android flagships interest me) was to go with the iPhone and then sell it later if/when an Android interested me. I figured that would be more fiscally responsible than going the other way. But then the idea of the $400 androids started making headway into my thinking... and here I am, seriously looking at these $400 devices. I can at least buy one of them every 2 years vs a $1000 flagship (Android or iPhone) every 4 years.

Soreloser

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that perspective. Are you in the USA? I definitely like the FF speakers and the SD card. And I see that BestBuy carries it. Might be worth a looksee if ZTE does a good job on updates. Any idea?

Yes, I'm in the USA. At&t is my carrier. The sound is quite loud as well as sounding better than the afore mentioned phones. With the rear or bottom facing mono speakers.Best buy is good to see one hands on buy I did buy mine from B&H Photo so I could get the quartz one instead of gold. I would describe it as more a periwinkle (bluish gray) over a actual gray. I think it looks sharp. I will see if I can get a photo of it to post.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I'm in the USA. At&t is my carrier. The sound is quite loud as well as sounding better than the afore mentioned phones. With the rear or bottom facing mono speakers.Best buy is good to see one hands on buy I did buy mine from B&H Photo so I could get the quartz one instead of gold. I would describe it as more a periwinkle (bluish gray) over a actual gray. I think it looks sharp. I will see if I can get a photo of it to post.

To: Soreloser,
I know this is a OP3 thread, but I have yet to see or hear from anyone in the US on AT&T that owned a ZTE Axon 7, I have put off considering this phone (the ZTE) because , as strange as it sounds these days, I really need to have my Phone work as a cell phone reliably, I can live with software differences, and the few software bugs here and there, and if it's a little slower than top tier phones or if the screen is not as good , I could care less, BUT I have to have a good cell signal / reception. How is the actual phone on AT&T if I may ask? Thank You.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I thought this was a good overall perspective: This guy nails my issues with most SD820 flagships (and my Samsung experience) and sounds like my thinking in general.

Right now, I'm just looking for those Pixels to come out so I can already buy something! And I'm chomping at the bit almost hoping the Pixels don't excite me so I can save some dough and get the snappy performance of the OP3. ;)

I get the impression the OP3 stays snappy in performance even after months of use as compared to the Samsung S7E/Note7 gradual slowdown over time. Is that accurate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyf3bDljg04

Simply put, I have not had a single ounce of lag or slowdown on this phone, and I've had it since launch. And that is the one feature of a phone that I care about most. I HATE lag/glitches.

That's also with only clearing the cache one time just out of habit. No resets or major storage management.

Soreloser

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
To: Soreloser,
I know this is a OP3 thread, but I have yet to see or hear from anyone in the US on AT&T that owned a ZTE Axon 7, I have put off considering this phone (the ZTE) because , as strange as it sounds these days, I really need to have my Phone work as a cell phone reliably, I can live with software differences, and the few software bugs here and there, and if it's a little slower than top tier phones or if the screen is not as good , I could care less, BUT I have to have a good cell signal / reception. How is the actual phone on AT&T if I may ask? Thank You.

I just sat my Note 4 and the Axon 7 side by side and the signal strength was 1 better on the Axon 7, well within any margin of error. When I'm able to, I will check with the G4 as well but it always worked just as well as the Note 4.

As for speed, the Axon is quite zippy with the Snapdragon 820, the same as the S7, Note 7, OP3 and The HTC 10. The screen is AMOLED and made by Samsung from what inhale read. Like unsaid, I've had no issues with it. No random reboots, no stuttering or lagging that I have noticed. The Wi-Fi has worked very well and I have yet to have any dropped calls or text messages. Seems to be well worth the money. Battery life as I use it is even stellar with an end of day percent of over 30, whereas either of the previous phones ended with either 10% or less or needed a bit of a charge to make it to bedtime.

As I post this my battery is at 68%, and has been off the charger since 5am this morning, so just about 8 1/2 hours.

I posted some pictures and more info in the Axon 7 forum...trying to keep this thread on topic.

Last edited:

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
And yet another hotfix.
This phone has had the most updates/hotfixes out of any phone I've ever had. If it gets nougat soon with little to no bugs, that will be excellent for one plus.

Attachments

• 10629.jpg
    10629.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 43

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyf3bDljg04

His reasons for using the OnePlus 3 directly mirror my own. After 6+ years on Samsung Galaxy phones, the OnePlus 3 is enough to tempt me away. So long as OnePlus keep up their, so far, excellent firmware releases, I will stick with them. :)

His stamp of approval has me leaning to oneplus. Was wondering how the op3 is since I was thinking of getting the op4 next year. Will probably be the first phone I look at next year. :)

JonnyT

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
OP - I've had the OnePlus 3 since launch. Previous phones have always been flagships from other companies (HTC, LG, many Samsung's.)

I would happily pay flagship money for this phone and price was not a factor in me getting it. The fact that it was also as cheap as it is was like a nice big cherry on top. I never had this kind of speed and battery life with my previous phones, and the really nice, quality design and feel w/small bezels really sold me.

A few folk not liking the 1080p screen - my opinion here, but for me the phone is better for it. My battery lasts ages :) lots of regular updates. I'm running the community build - another nice touch by OnePlus! Running a beta version of the OS without having to root. Previous OnePlus phones were criticized for their updates - I'm running the 1st October Android Security patch, which I think says quite a lot :)

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
OP - I've had the OnePlus 3 since launch. Previous phones have always been flagships from other companies (HTC, LG, many Samsung's.)

I would happily pay flagship money for this phone and price was not a factor in me getting it. The fact that it was also as cheap as it is was like a nice big cherry on top. I never had this kind of speed and battery life with my previous phones, and the really nice, quality design and feel w/small bezels really sold me.

A few folk not liking the 1080p screen - my opinion here, but for me the phone is better for it. My battery lasts ages :) lots of regular updates. I'm running the community build - another nice touch by OnePlus! Running a beta version of the OS without having to root. Previous OnePlus phones were criticized for their updates - I'm running the 1st October Android Security patch, which I think says quite a lot :)

Thanks for the great response! And finally someone not talking about magnetic car mounts in a thread about if the OP3 is still a good buy...

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I have no issue with the 1080p screen either. I've had it for the last 3.5 years on my GS4 and it's fine. I'm not into VR so I think it's a non-issue for me. I'm glad to hear the software support for the OP3 is strong. The OP3 is at the top of my list pending the Pixel release tomorrow.

Wildo6882, sorry if you found the magnetic vent mount issue not pertinent. That's a deal killer for me if it won't work.. and makes whatever phone out of consideration... ergo NOT a good buy... for me. ;)

Henaway

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Just quickly taking a ruler to the back of my OP3, it's essentially flat for a little over 2" across, and a solid 4 to 4 1/4" up/down (flash to lower antenna band). So that plate should fit just fine.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Just quickly taking a ruler to the back of my OP3, it's essentially flat for a little over 2" across, and a solid 4 to 4 1/4" up/down (flash to lower antenna band). So that plate should fit just fine.

Yay. My calibrated eyeball thought it would work so I'm happy to verify that. ;)

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Just bought an OP3 off Swappa and I am so excited to get it. Currently using an s7 edge and the OP3 has had my eye and suspicion since it launched. Not a huge fan of the edge screen on my s7 and never used a fully stock android phone before. Looking forward to no bloatware!

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Methinks the release of the Pixel and their prices yesterday more than confirmed the OP3 is definitely a GOOD buy!

And so I ordered a OnePlus 3. Yesterday.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking at picking up a cheaper Android option right now. Looking real hard at the Honor 8 and the OP3. Being they're both the same price, it comes down to features and bugs. The Honor 8 seems to be a real solid performer and they seem to be decent with updates. But EMUI isn't my FAVORITE skin. The OP3 seems to be real solid as well, but I do know that there have been some decent bugs. What are everyone's thoughts? I'd like to get something soon. Our financial situation took a minor hit and would like to save some coin on tech - currently on a 6s Plus.

It really comes down to preferences. The OPO is a little bigger. It will have more development as far as flashing roms go as well. But the Honor 8 might have a slightly better camera. The OPO3 is an all metal build and the Honor 8 is glass. I think they are both great phones. But it really comes down to how you will use them. Personally I love my OPO 3 with the ability to flash roms on it. Cyanogenmod 13 is awesome and a Nogat rom is almost done at XDA as well.