one plus 3 on att now?

MRS DIVA

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I was unable to obtain a nano-sim from AT&T today. Or rather, I could have, but the process of getting the nano-sim card would kill the sim card in my GS4 at the same time, and I'm not yet ready to switch over to the OP3. I thought is was a simple task to switch from one phone to another by changing the IMEI on my account. But I guess it doesn't work that way. Rats.

When is your phone due to arrive? I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it

mabr82

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
That's really poor. In the UK they send you a new sim then activate it when you ask them to, leaving your current (old) sim active until then.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
When is your phone due to arrive? I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it

It came yesterday afternoon. I haven't had a chance to go by the AT&T store and do the changeover yet. Was hoping to do that myself, on my own schedule.

My initial impressions are very favorable with one sole exception thus far. My FPS is not very reliable. It almost seems like I have to warm it up before it begins to work normally. I left it overnight (and only lost about 1% battery... which is phenomenal in my experience), but when I picked it up this morning to check the battery, I couldn't get the FPS to work with any of the 3 fingers I had set up. So it was back to the pin code to unlock it.

Now, only 2 out of my 3 fingers are reliable. Sigh.

But I have a long way to go to get it setup. I hope to get by the store today and get my network going so I can begin using it for calls, etc. But I'll be days setting up all my apps and customizations... and will ponder putting Nova Prime on it too. I've been using NP for several years on the old GS4.

I noticed there was an option (during setup) to move everything over from another Android device, but I didn't elect that option. Not exactly sure what that does. Maybe that would have been faster, but I don't plan to put all the junk on my old GS4 on the OP3. It will accumulate over time anyway. ;)

I need to get my nav apps functional so I can see if I'm going to have the reboot issue that's been problematic for some. But I'd sure like to figure out the FPS issue.

I think I'll pick up a nano to micro sim adapter so I can be bi-phonal, if I can figure out how to change between phones via online.

Daiz4yota

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
It came yesterday afternoon. I haven't had a chance to go by the AT&T store and do the changeover yet. Was hoping to do that myself, on my own schedule.

My initial impressions are very favorable with one sole exception thus far. My FPS is not very reliable. It almost seems like I have to warm it up before it begins to work normally. I left it overnight (and only lost about 1% battery... which is phenomenal in my experience), but when I picked it up this morning to check the battery, I couldn't get the FPS to work with any of the 3 fingers I had set up. So it was back to the pin code to unlock it.

Now, only 2 out of my 3 fingers are reliable. Sigh.

But I have a long way to go to get it setup. I hope to get by the store today and get my network going so I can begin using it for calls, etc. But I'll be days setting up all my apps and customizations... and will ponder putting Nova Prime on it too. I've been using NP for several years on the old GS4.

I noticed there was an option (during setup) to move everything over from another Android device, but I didn't elect that option. Not exactly sure what that does. Maybe that would have been faster, but I don't plan to put all the junk on my old GS4 on the OP3. It will accumulate over time anyway. ;)

I need to get my nav apps functional so I can see if I'm going to have the reboot issue that's been problematic for some. But I'd sure like to figure out the FPS issue.

I think I'll pick up a nano to micro sim adapter so I can be bi-phonal, if I can figure out how to change between phones via online.

Thats really odd. Most reviews said its possibly the best FPS on the market. Is there a limit to how many fingers you can add? If there isnt, I would try doing each finger multiple times. For example set up 3 different fingerprint IDs but make them all your thumb. Makes it much more reliable. Hows the screen look? Is the pixelation bad?

race4life

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
My FPS is amazing on the OP3. I came from the Note 7 and this one blows it away. I love the fact it's not an actually button, nothing to push, just lay your finger on the FPS and it unlocks. I've had the phone for 1 week and I think I have had a couple of miss reads but those were just because I put my finger on wrong. You can put up to 5 fingers into the FPS.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Thats really odd. Most reviews said its possibly the best FPS on the market. Is there a limit to how many fingers you can add? If there isnt, I would try doing each finger multiple times. For example set up 3 different fingerprint IDs but make them all your thumb. Makes it much more reliable. Hows the screen look? Is the pixelation bad?

That's a good idea. Maybe I'll do one finger three times and another finger twice. But I've never heard of anyone doing that before, so that may be a work around... or maybe it's simply my dry skin? I'd really like to know if this is a problematic FPS within my 15 days!

I find the screen perfectly acceptable. Of course I'm coming from a 1080P screen (GS4). I haven't noticed any pixelation yet.

Actually, the OP3 came at a bad time for me. I'm swamped with a lot going on right now and am trying to work on it between other things. So it's not getting my full attention and I really need to because I sense the clock ticking on my trial window.

With any luck, I'll get the sim card setup later today and be in business.

I will say this, I have 4 radios between my router and access point (2.4 GHz and 5 Ghz and different SSIDs for each radio). The OP3 connects in the blink of an eye. I've never seen a phone connect to wifi that quickly.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
That's a good idea. Maybe I'll do one finger three times and another finger twice. But I've never heard of anyone doing that before, so that may be a work around... or maybe it's simply my dry skin? I'd really like to know if this is a problematic FPS within my 15 days!

I find the screen perfectly acceptable. Of course I'm coming from a 1080P screen (GS4). I haven't noticed any pixelation yet.

Actually, the OP3 came at a bad time for me. I'm swamped with a lot going on right now and am trying to work on it between other things. So it's not getting my full attention and I really need to because I sense the clock ticking on my trial window.

With any luck, I'll get the sim card setup later today and be in business.

I will say this, I have 4 radios between my router and access point (2.4 GHz and 5 Ghz and different SSIDs for each radio). The OP3 connects in the blink of an eye. I've never seen a phone connect to wifi that quickly.

Here's another member who had issue with the fingerprint sensor.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/oneplus-3/724891-very-unreliable-fingerprint-sensor.html

Setting two fingerprints per finger really helps. And between the few phones I've tested myself (Nexus 6p, pixel, galaxy s7, iPhone 6s), the OP3 blows them out of the water. It's near instant. And very accurate.

Last edited:

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I believe I've found the issue with my FPS. And I think the problem is my thumb and finger tips are very dry and cracked. When I redid the FPS settings and used a clean, meaty part of my thumb closer to the whirl, it's been very reliable. So I guess the moral of the story is if you have dry, cracked, thumb/finger tips, the FPS may be unreliable. Slide down towards the whirl part of the thumb/finger print and that should give the results expected.

I was using more towards the tip where I would normally touch the screen or FPS and, this time of year, my digits can get in pretty rough shape.

cbb77

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
How did you get it hooked up? Did you just pop it out of old phone and pop it in OP3?

Yes and no. My LG G3 uses a micro sim so it doesn't fit in the OP3. However I still had an old iPhone 5 that I keep around for emergency. That I was able to pop right in and have it work. In fact, that was I used for a week to try out the OP3. I had my phone forwarded over while testing. Wanted to make sure I was definitely going to keep it before switching over my primary line. I already have a set of sim card adapters so I can actually switch back if desired.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I ordered a sim card adapter as well so I can swap the nano sim back and forth to the GS4 should I elect to do so.

Once we copied over the APN settings from my old GS4 and rebooted the OP3, I've had network connections and all works as advertised. The OP3 is so much faster than the GS4 and is so fluid. I'm loving it.

Evidently all the early issues with the OP3 and AT&T have been resolved. AT&T knows the OP3 and it shows up in their database.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Quick question: what happens if you do a FDR with the sim in the phone? Are the APN settings wiped too? I plan to do a FDR on the old GS4 at some point and dedicate it to other uses, but don't want to lose my APN settings!

The AT&T tech that helped me setup the OP3 indicated I would lose the APN settings. But I know I've done the FDR on the GS4 in the past and didn't lose it then. But I don't know if the OP3 is any different in that regard.

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Quick question: what happens if you do a FDR with the sim in the phone? Are the APN settings wiped too? I plan to do a FDR on the old GS4 at some point and dedicate it to other uses, but don't want to lose my APN settings!

The AT&T tech that helped me setup the OP3 indicated I would lose the APN settings. But I know I've done the FDR on the GS4 in the past and didn't lose it then. But I don't know if the OP3 is any different in that regard.
If the APN settings have been manually setup, yes an FDR would wipe them. If the APN setting are being pulled from ATT then you'll be fine doing an FDR. If your not sure then dig down into the APN settings and document what they are. After the FDR go see what's there and if you need to add a new APN and put the info back into it.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. Any idea what determines whether the APN settings are pulled from the carrier vs having to input them manually? I suspect it has something to do with a carrier provided device vs a BYOD scenario.

doa70

May 1, 2016
Visit site
I never knew for sure, but I never had to add an APN manually either. My OP3 picked them up correctly from ATT. I assumed this worked something like (maybe exactly like) a device pulling settings from a tftp server on a DHCP enabled network. Client boots, looks for DHCP address and related info, related info includes tftp server address, client goes there and gets its config. That's grossly oversimplified, and there are a few ways to accomplish something of the sort, but the idea remains the same.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
But is the service good on att? Or does it drop to 4g alot ?I just need it to be reliable on the network is all

It has been in my brief experience. As good as I had on my old GS4, but much faster response on the phone... as would be expected. I don't have LTE at my house, but I seem to have LTE pretty much where ever I saw it on the GS4.