Where's the OnePlus 4?

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Apparently the next gen OnePlus phone is going to skip the number 4... turns out that number has a large association with death in Chinese culture, at least that's what I've gleaned from what I've read! So, if you want to call it the 4 you can, but it'll be the 5 lol :)

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I heard it's apparently it's got to do with bad luck. There is a Chinese superstition known as tetraphobia which associates the number ‘four’ with bad luck. Kinda like some see the number 13 as bad luck :)

I'm not sure if this is true or not but we will see what OnePlus launches soon. Maybe it will be the OnePlus 4! I personally really like the number 4 :)

Jason Cockerham

Community Review Team Leader
Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I heard it's apparently it's got to do with bad luck. There is a Chinese superstition known as tetraphobia which associates the number ‘four’ with bad luck. Kinda like some see the number 13 as bad luck :)

I'm not sure if this is true or not but we will see what OnePlus launches soon. Maybe it will be the OnePlus 4! I personally really like the number 4 :)

It actually is very true. My sister-in-law is from China and it's very much a cultural thing. The Chinese word for "4" sounds very much like the word for "death" so that's why it's unlucky.

I would assume since OnePlus is a China-based company that they would skip the OnePlus 4 and go to the 5.

ByteMyAscii

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
Certainly the tetraphobia makes for a more appealing headline, and it isn't the first product to follow that pattern.
There was some suggestion, and even a comment from the company about some sports player that many were seemingly a fan of, but that sounds like a poor attempt to deflect away from the idea of "bad luck", which is certainly thought about very differently in our cultures.
Though I can't speak for anyone else, in the UK at least there is a deep-seated obsession from some with traditional bad-luck associations, including the number 13 (particularly Friday the 13th), walking under a ladder, breaking a mirror etc.
So while that particular example may be easily dismissed by some, it isn't by any means a belief unique to china.

lancester28

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
Well, this "superstitions" seems to be helping the company.