OnePlusOne - Removable back included but not removeable battery?

deuxcv

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
other than customization options, why bother with the downsides of a removable back without any upsides such as sd card which is being discussed in another thread but a non-replaceable battery, i dont get it. it even looks like its a replaceable battery. seems a no brainer to make it swappable. :/

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I believe they said why they didn't make the battery removable was to make the device thinner. Sdcard slot is not a biggie to me especially when you can pick up the 64 gig model for such a cheap price.

deuxcv

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't make much sense honestly
having a replaceable battery doesn't make sense? or the omission doesn't?

i like to carry multiples when traveling, heavy usage days, or when there is weak signal. worrying about battery conservation isn't my thing, nor is lugging around a backup charge pack. but 2 extra replaceable batteries for my gs3 isn't much more than an ounce or two and can get me through the worst days. it's a feature i would miss leaving the galaxy family.

not seeing how battery contacts and leads could add measurably to a phone, but i guess every nanometer counts these days. seems that having a swappable back cover would add far more thickness, would contribute to strength issues and would be the bulk of the extra thickness in the replaceable battery equation.

xoxoGeorges

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
having a replaceable battery doesn't make sense? or the omission doesn't?

i like to carry multiples when traveling, heavy usage days, or when there is weak signal. worrying about battery conservation isn't my thing, nor is lugging around a backup charge pack. but 2 extra replaceable batteries for my gs3 isn't much more than an ounce or two and can get me through the worst days. it's a feature i would miss leaving the galaxy family.

not seeing how battery contacts and leads could add measurably to a phone, but i guess every nanometer counts these days. seems that having a swappable back cover would add far more thickness, would contribute to strength issues and would be the bulk of the extra thickness in the replaceable battery equation.

Having the replaceable cover, while not having the replaceable battery doesn't make sense.

deuxcv

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Having the replaceable cover, while not having the replaceable battery doesn't make sense.

agreed. i have read ceo pete's statement about replaceable batteries and i don't 100% buy it. i'm not an engineer but experience tells me that the space to make it swappable (in that it already has the removable back) haaaaas to be miniscule. i'd bet 10$ that the ONE+TWO was a replaceable battery if not battery annnnd sd card.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
not a biggie the batter is huge it should last from sun up to sundown unless you are using this to power your vehicle while using it as a phone IJS....

deuxcv

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I think they plan to sell designer backs, in a variety of finishes, so it makes some sense to make it removable.
yes, i have seen mentions of the vanity backs. my point, along with that, is that making a removable back bears most of the engineering & space brunt that would also be needed for a removable battery. having a removable back necessitates having an additional protective layer. fixed back phones use the exterior shell as the protection layer, removable back phones (for battery or vanity backs) need a protective layer underneath the removable back. having double protective layers greatly increases the overall volume of the phone. so why they didn't opt for double bang for the space sacrifice the the removable back is necessitating is what i don't understand. typically a removable back would go hand in hand with sd slot, simm slot and swappable battery.

fightcrazy

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
With removable back door the battery can be changed. With a screw driver or some other tool. Just can not pop it out, if battery is worn out it can be changed. Not a problem for me. The 64gb model looks like my future phone. Very excited to get my hands on it.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
It was an odd choice but doesn't the Moto G have a swappable back as well as a non-removable battery. There must be engineering or economic reasons why they do it.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
With removable back door the battery can be changed. With a screw driver or some other tool. Just can not pop it out, if battery is worn out it can be changed. Not a problem for me. The 64gb model looks like my future phone. Very excited to get my hands on it.

It does look as if the battery will be pretty easy to replace, if necessary - clearly much more user accessible than on the S5 or the M8. It will be interesting to see what Ifixit reports on maintainability.

The features on this phone are ringing all my bells right now. I'm eager to see some detailed reviews soon.

Sent from my wife's Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk 4

deuxcv

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site

I'm excited too! I figured it was replaceable, but my inquiry was more to do with removable/swappable. it's much lighter to carry a couple backup. batteries than a big USB backup.

Posted via Android Central App

deuxcv

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
It was an odd choice but doesn't the Moto G have a swappable back as well as a non-removable battery. There must be engineering or economic reasons why they do it.

the moto x has a factory customizable back, not a user changeable, thus not necessitating the additional protection of the internals. space, size, and weight are the economic reasons.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
agreed. i have read ceo pete's statement about replaceable batteries and i don't 100% buy it. i'm not an engineer but experience tells me that the space to make it swappable (in that it already has the removable back) haaaaas to be miniscule. i'd bet 10$ that the ONE+TWO was a replaceable battery if not battery annnnd sd card.

I want to believe that the company tried to come up with a variety of designs, but a few things had to be cut for them to start selling the phone in 2014 Q2. Hopefully if enough people buy the OnePlus One, we'll have a new phone in 2015 that will have a replaceable battery and an SD card slot.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
the moto x has a factory customizable back, not a user changeable, thus not necessitating the additional protection of the internals. space, size, and weight are the economic reasons.

The G is user changeable isn't it?

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I want to believe that the company tried to come up with a variety of designs, but a few things had to be cut for them to start selling the phone in 2014 Q2. Hopefully if enough people buy the OnePlus One, we'll have a new phone in 2015 that will have a replaceable battery and an SD card slot.

Replaceable batteries and SD cards are so important and the trend away from them takes away freedom and autonomy. If you have an SD card you don't have to rely on remote servers to pass data. It is not such a big deal and the cloud provides its own kind of freedom and autonomy but part of me still likes the idea of not having to be dependent on the cloud. It is a lot easier to put 10GB of music on a SD card then to download it directly onto your phone. I suppose you can transfer it by usb cable but you run into space limitations and I'm not crazy about maxing out my phone's storage. As far as replaceable batteries go, if one is in business, talks a lot, travels, works trade shows, and especially if you find yourself on international flights, there is no substitute for having a fully juiced spare battery that you can pop in anytime.

CannedBullets

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

Its actually easier to make a phone without a removable battery. Mostly because you don't have to worry about having to design extra space for an easy way for a user to swap the battery and so you don't need to worry about a user putting in a sketchy cheap battery that could blow up.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Reminds of hTc's One or One Max, I think it was a Korean model? The back was removable to access the microSD slot.

I also think it's strange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2