OnePlusOne Aggressive Pricing

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 5 camera leaves a lot to be desired. On paper the OnePlus is better in the camera department.

The Nexus 5 camera isn't the best, but it's still pretty damn good especially considering it's half the price of the phones it's compared to.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Aggressive Pricing

Sounds like very good pricing, but we'll have to see if the phone is actually good enough. Don't think this will be a better value than the Nexus 5 or Moto G, but it can still be a great deal.

That's a fair point. What does the OnePlus One need to do in order for it to become a better value than the Nexus 5 or the Moto G?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

That's a fair point. What does the OnePlus One need to do in order for it to become a better value than the Nexus 5 or the Moto G?

Be a better all-around phone than the Nexus 5. Camera and speakers shouldn't be too hard to beat, and neither is the battery. Screen is excellent on the N5, and software is second only to the Moto X. Those two are almost always the deal breakers when it comes to phones for many people. And the Nexus is also a great feeling phone, that has tons of support from both official and dev community. The last few I mentioned are going to be hard to beat at this price point considering they don't have the money to subsidize like Google does.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Be a better all-around phone than the Nexus 5. Camera and speakers shouldn't be too hard to beat, and neither is the battery.

Well, if the OnePlus One doesn't have a better camera, speaker, and battery than the Nexus 5, then the company really needs to go back to the drawing board. No one wants to buy a brand new phone that doesn't keep up with an existing phone that's been on the market for almost 6 months.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

Well, if the OnePlus One doesn't have a better camera, speaker, and battery than the Nexus 5, then the company really needs to go back to the drawing board. No one wants to buy a brand new phone that doesn't keep up with an existing phone that's been on the market for almost 6 months.

I think it will beat the Nexus in the camera, speaker and battery departments. But software might be an issue even if it is Cyanogenmod 11S. Also the Nexus camera software is now vastly improved and perhaps the new Nexus 6 might come out on top and even match the OnePlus One pricing structure:)

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site

And the Nexus is also a great feeling phone, that has tons of support from both official and dev community. The last few I mentioned are going to be hard to beat at this price point considering they don't have the money to subsidize like Google does.

Isn't the feel of the Nexus 5 versus the OnePlus One a purely subjective matter? Once you hold either one in your hand, you either like it or you don't, right? I suppose you could always change the back of the OnePlus One to wood, carbon fiber, or denim to make it feel better. The Nexus 5 doesn't have that option.

As for support, the OnePlus One is an official CyanogenMod phone, so it has that.

I don't think OnePlus really needs a subsidy as long as they sell every phone they make. That's the impression I get from their crazy invite system. However, if they make too many phones that don't sell, then they'll be in trouble.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Isn't the feel of the Nexus 5 versus the OnePlus One a purely subjective matter? Once you hold either one in your hand, you either like it or you don't, right? I suppose you could always change the back of the OnePlus One to wood, carbon fiber, or denim to make it feel better. The Nexus 5 doesn't have that option.

As for support, the OnePlus One is an official CyanogenMod phone, so it has that.

I don't think OnePlus really needs a subsidy as long as they sell every phone they make. That's the impression I get from their crazy invite system. However, if they make too many phones that don't sell, then they'll be in trouble.

That is true, but I think most people will still prefer the smaller size of the phone.
I was never a fan of CyanogenMod, but I haven't seen or used their official phones. Might be better than the ROMs they make for other devices, but doubt they'll have as much support/fast updates as the Nexus

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site

That is true, but I think most people will still prefer the smaller size of the phone.

I keep hearing that people prefer smaller phones, yet companies keep cranking out bigger and bigger devices. It's not just OnePlus, either. LG, Samsung, Sony, and HTC do the same thing. Perhaps they know something that we don't.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I keep hearing that people prefer smaller phones, yet companies keep cranking out bigger and bigger devices. It's not just OnePlus, either. LG, Samsung, Sony, and HTC do the same thing. Perhaps they know something that we don't.

The Nexus 5 is about the same size as the S4/G2/M7 and only slightly smaller than the S5/M8. The OnePlus is significantly larger.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site

I was never a fan of CyanogenMod, but I haven't seen or used their official phones. Might be better than the ROMs they make for other devices, but doubt they'll have as much support/fast updates as the Nexus

It probably depends on how many projects they have going on. I suppose they would prioritize the OnePlus One and the Oppo N1 since those officially ship with CyanogenMod pre-installed. As far as Android updates go, Google is putting more and more features (e.g. Google camera) in the Play store, so everyone will probably get quick updates.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
The Nexus 5 is about the same size as the S4/G2/M7 and only slightly smaller than the S5/M8. The OnePlus is significantly larger.

Well, we know that OnePlus really depends on sales to just survive. I don't think they'd release their only product at a size that's unpopular.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Well, we know that OnePlus really depends on sales to just survive. I don't think they'd release their only product at a size that's unpopular.

It is unpopular in comparison to smaller phones. The S line sells far more than the Note line, and that's just Samsung. Other phablets aren't nearly as successful.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
It is unpopular in comparison to smaller phones. The S line sells far more than the Note line, and that's just Samsung. Other phablets aren't nearly as successful.

But the aggressive price point will overcome any size issue. If the Note line was $300 less than the S line a lot more Notes would sell. I don't know for certain, but I think phablets are hugely popular in Korea and Japan. I think acclimation to larger phones is spreading pretty quickly in China and the USA, and I suspect Europe isn't far behind. Apple was like the lone holdout, but once they move to larger displays people will get more used to them.

One thing I find interesting with the move to larger displays is that all the major Android players have left a hole in the 4.7 inch display for flagships. Whose left there, the Moto X? I think there is an opportunity for somebody to make a killer device in the 4.7 inch even if the trend is moving bigger.

Hawnz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

If only it wasn't so large.

Seriously...I'm all for choice, but when companies launch phones in these sizes it makes me wonder what their intentions are.

In many countries, people don't have computers. The phone serves as both a phone and computer. I have read that phablets are 40% of some markets.

Sent from my XT1034 using AC Forums mobile app

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
But the aggressive price point will overcome any size issue. If the Note line was $300 less than the S line a lot more Notes would sell.
Not if the S line was also $300. Since the Nexus 5 is at a comparable price, I imagine a lot of people will gladly pay a little more to get a device that they can use well with one hand. I know I would.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

LG said in a press release for the G Pad they did a survey, and most wanted an 8.3in tablet. could be the same for the others lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000