OnePlusOne: Root, now that Is the question...

vincentallen2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Given the fact that the OPO is preloaded with Cyanogenmod, it makes the moding side of me very happy. But I've been wondering, since it's preloaded with a variation of CM11, will the phone ship pre-rooted?

I also wonder how the Bootloader Unlocking process will go, or if it ship unlocked...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Re: Root, now that Is the question...

It would be interesting if the phone came pre-rooted but I don't think it will. Maybe with a CM11 variant on there it will be easier to root?

vincentallen2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

It would be interesting! But here's another question:
Can a regular phone use the features in cyanogenmod os if root access had been disabled? (ie: disable and uninstall superuser, lock Bootloader, etc)

That would probably be the answer to my original question

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site

If the phone isn't rooted out the box then I could see some sort of "lite" version of CM11 being installed. I would guess that if they went this route, they would require full root access for all features to be available.

graffixnyc

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
At first I was told by someone internally that rooting was just as simple as toggling in on in developer options. This option was not on my OnePlus one (at least the build I'm running) so I guess it's just internal and they remove it before pushing it out to users. However, no fastboot OEM unlock is needed. The bootloader is unlocked out of the box. And rooting it was as simple as flashing twrp (I have a test build of it) and then flashing supersu.

And it's correct, you may root and flash away and keep your warranty (same with oppo) as long as you don't do something stupid like overclock your cpu and burn it out or something like that, you are covered.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Given the fact that the OPO is preloaded with Cyanogenmod, it makes the moding side of me very happy. But I've been wondering, since it's preloaded with a variation of CM11, will the phone ship pre-rooted?

I also wonder how the Bootloader Unlocking process will go, or if it ship unlocked...

No it won't come prerooted and it no custom recovery as well.

Google Mobile Services license is required for Google application and services to come shipped with a phone. No root is one of the requirement.

This phone will be bootloader unlockable like the Nexus. To root it will only take a couple of steps:
fastboot oem unlock already unlocked
-fastboot boot twrp.img
-enable adb sideload feature in TWRP recovery
-adb sideload SuperSu.zip
reboot

Last edited:

graffixnyc

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
No it won't come prerooted and it no custom recovery as well.

Google Mobile Services license is required for Google application and services to come shipped with a phone. No root is one of the requirement.

This phone will be bootloader unlockable like the Nexus. To root it will only take a couple of steps:
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot boot twrp.img
adb sideload SuperSu.zip
reboot

I own the device. You do not need to unlock the bootloader. It's unlocked already. I used a test version of twrp from Dees_troy (hopefully he releases it soon) to root the device:
copy supersu.zip to sd card while in android
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
then just flash the zip in twrp
Alternatively you do not have to flash recovery if you want( this way it leaves stock recovery intact for OTA updates) to do that instead of running fastboot flash recovery twrp_img_name.img you can run fastboot boot twrp_img_name.img and it will boot the recovery, not flash it. Then just flash the supersu.zip