Why no Verizon support on the OnePlusOne??

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
It seems like they are missing a huge market by not having the phone work on Verizon. I probably would have gotten one if it could work, but with the great coverage I get and my good plan I'm not willing to leave big red.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Name one factory unlocked device that works on Verizon.

OnePlus seems pretty strict about "no compromise", and making one variant that would have the necessary bands and handing it over to Verizon to lock it down sounds like plenty of compromise to me.

Posted via Android Central App

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Pretty much 1+ would have to go directly through Verizon to get this phone certified for their network and build a special model which would increase cost. While I love Verizon's lte coverage. It's about time for them to drop the legacy CDMA network it's far Too Limiting

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Look at what happened with the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 7 2013. Verizon doesn't play nice with companies selling unlocked devices.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Name one factory unlocked device that works on Verizon.

OnePlus seems pretty strict about "no compromise", and making one variant that would have the necessary bands and handing it over to Verizon to lock it down sounds like plenty of compromise to me.

Posted via Android Central App

Nexus 7. But in general I agree. OnePlus is keeping costs down by making just two versions.

Also keep in mind that the cost would go up a bit to add cdma radios.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Verizon isn't a huge market considering GSM is in every country that uses cell phones, and CDMA is mainly North America

ExtremeNerd

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Look at what happened with the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 7 2013. Verizon doesn't play nice with companies selling unlocked devices.

I still have one of these pieces of junk on my dresser if people's memory needs a refresher. Horrible radios, miserable battery life, delayed updates. Not a surprise Verizon isn't supported.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
97.3 million people isn't a large number? No argument that the rest of the world is GSM though.

Yes it's large. but then there's a breakdown on smartphone users versus feature phone. There are also tablet and hotspot subscribers. Then iPhone vs Android vs Other blah blah blah lol

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
It seems like they are missing a huge market by not having the phone work on Verizon.

What do you envision when you think of a Verizon OnePlus One?

If such a phone were to exist, I think Verizon would demand its logos and bloatware on the phone. The only phone to get an exemption from those requirements is the iPhone.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
It is an unlocked international device one only for now. It's parent company is Oppo. Oppo still have not have a phone that is carrier locked in the US. So before this phone even gets Verizon, first Oppo phones needs to make deal with US carriers, and if they are going to have a Verizon version, they would also have AT&T version. Also this phone is meant to be sold online only, which mean it is not meant to be sold in physical stores.

Thirdly, even if the phone have the radio technology to be compatible with Verizon network, Verizon WILL NOT allow unlocked bootloader phones and phones with firmware that is not under the control by them. This is why Nexus 5 is not allowed on their network and their attempts to disable Google Wallet. (Although you could buy a developer edition of the Moto X).

If you want to be in AT&T and Verizon network, you need to accept that they totally own your phone.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
So before this phone even gets Verizon, first Oppo phones needs to make deal with US carriers, and if they are going to have a Verizon version, they would also have AT&T version. Also this phone is meant to be sold online only, which mean it is not meant to be sold in physical stores.

OnePlus could make an exclusive phone for Verizon. They don't need to make an AT&T version, especially if the international version is already compatible with AT&T's network.

As for selling the phone in stores, things may change down the line. The Nexus 4 and 5 are good examples. T-Mobile USA sold both of them in its stores, even though those phones were really meant to be sold online only in the Google Play store.

Personally, I'm wondering if Walmart would be interested in selling the OnePlus One. Maybe Walmart could bundle it with Straight Talk or Walmart Family Mobile plans.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
97.3 million people isn't a large number? No argument that the rest of the world is GSM though.

CDMA covers the hundreds of millions of people while GSM covers in the billions.... I think I read in Europe it was passed as law that GSM was the standard...... if you make a CDMA phone your basically making a custom phone for Sprint or Verizon..... limiting to just GSM you easily got the US covered between AT&T and T-Mobile but also the rest of the world and keep cost down....

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
CDMA covers the hundreds of millions of people while GSM covers in the billions.... I think I read in Europe it was passed as law that GSM was the standard...... if you make a CDMA phone your basically making a custom phone for Sprint or Verizon.....

It might be worth it for OnePlus to make a custom phone for Verizon and Sprint if they can make a lot of money from the deal. This is why you have almost all of the major companies making phones with CDMA radios in them. It's all about the money.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
It might be worth it for OnePlus to make a custom phone for Verizon and Sprint if they can make a lot of money from the deal. This is why you have almost all of the major companies making phones with CDMA radios in them. It's all about the money.

I dunno.... It's possible... HTC tried it with the original HTC EVO 4G and then the HTC EVO 4G LTE with Sprint and the Thunderbolt with Verizon... Exclusive CDMA phones and it didn't help HTC at all.. and HTC makes a very VERY nice piece of hardware, arguably much better hardware than Samsung (at least in build quality).... Google proved with the Nexus 5 you can squeeze all those radios into a nice low cost device..... The biggest problem would be getting Sprint and Verizon to agree... Those two are notorious for locking down their networks.... Still shocked the Nexus is allowed on Sprint...

But with the Nexus program... Google can kind of afford to do what they've done..... Their first quarter results showed they only have roughly $50 BILLION in cash on hand.... They can afford to make a $500 million inventory/hardware mistake......and make it a few times at that.... Oneplus (or Oppo) can't make a major hardware mistake like that.... Oneplus does not even expect to turn a profit for 2 - 3 years at the earliest.... as they just try to make a name right now....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2